Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speed Limits - same map version, different cars, different limits???

brkaus

Jul 8, 2014
Austin, TX
We have two Teslas -
- 2017 Model S (AP2.0/MCU1/HW2)
- 2018 Model 3 (MCU2 - It has the HW3 upgrade completed ).

Both have the same version of the map database - NA-2020.12-11866 - according to the software screen.

The question: Why would the model 3 show the correct speed limit on a road that I drive frequently, but the Model S does not. I thought the speed limits came from the map data?

For whatever it's worth, this is a road that I had submitted a correct request to Tesla back in middle 2019. After several back/forth emails I was told it was updated and it would show up in a future release.

zanary

Jan 25, 2017
SF Bay Area (East Bay), CA
You might have the same map data but what is your software rev for both vehicles? Also one has hw3 and the other has 2.0. Maybe it’s different because of the 2.0.

Time to purchase the $2500 Infotainment Upgrade.

brkaus

Jul 8, 2014
Austin, TX
Yes, they are on different firmware versions & different AP hardware - but that implies there are different sources for speed limit data between the two??

zanary

Jan 25, 2017
I could be completely wrong, but I thought that the most recent version of the software with HW3 may be able to read speed limit signs, and not always rely on the maps data.

Can you tell us what version each Tesla is at?

- 2017 Model S (AP2.0/MCU1/HW2)
- 2018 Model 3 (MCU2 - It has the HW3 upgrade completed).

The most current GA version is: 2020.24.6.1

brkaus

Jul 8, 2014
Austin, TX
Model 3 - 2020.24.6.1
Model S - 2020.20.1

Both picked up a the speed limit on my return trip immediately after pulling onto the road out of a parking lot before even seeing a sign. So I'm thinking it isn't reading signs.

My usual FM stations aren't on Tunin - so I'm hoping for the FM tuner upgrade to be available prior to upgrading. Or I may swap for a new car w/ more range in a few years and just do the EMMC chip upgrade on the side.

But I did find this interesting on the speed limits. Not sure if there is anything to learn from it or not.

zanary

Jan 25, 2017
Model 3 - 2020.24.6.1
Model S - 2020.20.1

Both picked up a the speed limit on my return trip immediately after pulling onto the road out of a parking lot before even seeing a sign. So I'm thinking it isn't reading signs.

My usual FM stations aren't on Tunin - so I'm hoping for the FM tuner upgrade to be available prior to upgrading. Or I may swap for a new car w/ more range in a few years and just do the EMMC chip upgrade on the side.

But I did find this interesting on the speed limits. Not sure if there is anything to learn from it or not.

2020.20.1 was a pretty large release, and since then there was two more larger releases, the 2020.20.12 and finally the most recent one which is 2020.24.6.1.

Looks like Speed Limit sign reading is still coming very soon. I might have been wrong there.
Tesla Autopilot To Get Speed Limit Recognition & Roundabout Support Worldwide

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus

brkaus

Jul 8, 2014
Austin, TX
the article you linked is guessing speed limit sign reading is in 2020.24 - so perhaps that is it?

I know the 3 also changed on a school speed limit sign that it never honored before. Sadly, it didn't understand that it was outside of the hours listed on the sign, a weekend, and school was not in session.

Would it be rude for me to ask @verygreen ?

brkaus

Jul 8, 2014
Austin, TX
Drove around the neighborhood in the model 3. It definitely isn’t reading street signs.

The area I reported last year is fixed.

My neighborhood isn’t correct. We have 25mph, 30mph, 35mph.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC