Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speed Reduced

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Driving home today the car suddenly announced 'Speed limited to 60 mph'. Actually it initially said 62 mph, then 60mph then 57mph. Why? Battery still have more than 50% left left. Do I need a service visit?

20220208_152813.jpg

20220208_153233.jpg

Has anyone discovered why this is happening. I'm experiencing the same issue at least a couple days a week for over a month. I can have a full charge with the car warmed up and running for some time, and then suddenly the speed is limited warning like in the Morhydro's picture.

Has anyone discovered why this is happening. I'm experiencing the same issue at least a couple days a week for over a month. I can have a full charge with the car warmed up and running for some time, and then suddenly the speed is limited warning like in the Morhydro's picture.
I would be making a service call via the app asap. I’m not sure if @Morhydro has information about what happened… that would be helpful to others.

This was the ops issue I believe. A coolant problem which would make sense

Agree with @Adopado, book it in for a service

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado
I've had the same issue three times now. Twice I was accelerating whilst coming out of a corner so I wondered if that had anything to do with it. The last time I was just driving at 30 on a normal road though

This was the ops issue I believe. A coolant problem which would make sense

Agree with @Adopado, book it in for a service
Interesting. Reading the post, that one looks like a Superbottle gasket issue ... relevant to note because the newer cars don't have that part (we know it's the Superbottle becasue of the age of the car and reference to 4 valves) ... it has been superceded by the even more whizzo sounding "Octovalve". Could well be similarly related to coolant flow though. At least the Service Centres should have some previous experience of something similar.

Interesting. Reading the post, that one looks like a Superbottle gasket issue ... relevant to note because the newer cars don't have that part (we know it's the Superbottle becasue of the age of the car and reference to 4 valves) ... it has been superceded by the even more whizzo sounding "Octovalve". Could well be similarly related to coolant flow though. At least the Service Centres should have some previous experience of something similar.
if the battery was overheating then limiting the speed would make sense since it would limit the current draw and reduce heat generation

Reactions: Adopado
Thanks for the replies. I was going to take it in for service as suggested, but my lease is up in a couple weeks and I take delivery of my new one in a couple days, so I'll let them deal with it then. I do believe it could be the coolant issue mentioned as it did have a coolant problem last summer, and it is starting to make a lot of the same noise again which sounds like some kind of fan or maybe a pump.

Thanks for the replies. I was going to take it in for service as suggested, but my lease is up in a couple weeks and I take delivery of my new one in a couple days, so I'll let them deal with it then. I do believe it could be the coolant issue mentioned as it did have a coolant problem last summer, and it is starting to make a lot of the same noise again which sounds like some kind of fan or maybe a pump.
I take it isn't another Tesla if you are getting it in a couple of days then?