Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speed Sensitive Volume Control?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MP3Mike

Feb 1, 2016
Oregon
I thought I had read that the Model 3 had a speed sensitive volume control option buried in the audio options somewhere, but I don't see it in the owner's manual.

Is it there? If so, how well does it work and what options does it give you?

@K-MTG Any chance you can look for this?

• Love
Reactions: Narekzo
I thought I had read that the Model 3 had a speed sensitive volume control option buried in the audio options somewhere, but I don't see it in the owner's manual.

Is it there? If so, how well does it work and what options does it give you?

@K-MTG Any chance you can look for this?

There is an option for this (never used it though)...will share some pics.

I'm still on 2017.50.12 b707518 and the speed sensitive volume option is there. This is an example of the clunky UI in the Model 3 - to access the control:

1) Fully expand the Music player window by tapping the arrrow in the upper right corner two times
2) Tap on the Equalizer control button in the upper right corner of the screen
3) You should now be in the 'Audio Setting' screen
4) Tap on the 'Option' tab to get to the 'Immersive Sound' and 'Speed-Sensitive Volume' settings.

My observations on the Speed Sensitive Volume is it works. It does tend to pump the volume a bit and isn't that smooth in making adjustments, but in my opinion it actually does work, it just needs more refinement.

I hope they have not removed it from the car in the latest versions. If they did, it might be related to people thinking that the abrupt adjustment it makes to increase the volume when the car reaches certain speeds was causing people to think the system was broken (This is pure speculation on my part though). If it has been removed, I hope it comes back in a more refined form (Smoother volume increases and decreases with the speed of the car).

Volume.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
I used this feature for 2 months with firmware 2017.50.12, TL;DR:
It works, but with numerous bugs, not recommend to use it right now.

Details I noticed with this option, there are 3 options: off, low, high

I'd imagining the low and high are apply volume enhance with different offsets. it's true, `high` setting does apply more offsets to volume, but here comes the covets:

It will constantly turn down your volume randomly, for example with high setting:
If your start volume is 5 with 0mph, it will gradually adjust to around 5.5 with 20mph which is noticeable, but stops at 6 even with 75mph, it's useless because of current tremendous wind noise.
but when you slow down to 0mph, it will reduced to somewhere around 4, which is below your original setting, this is definitely a bug.
And worst thing is sometime it even gradually reduced your volume to 0 after you parked for hours.

So I'd suggest you give this option a grain of salt, it's buggy and not work as it name suggest.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
This is one of those things that baffles me Tesla can't get right... Speed sensitive radio volume was patented in 1965... I owned cars made decades ago that had it working perfectly, as have all the cars I've had since... it's not new tech.

How can the same company have by far the best radar cruise control in the world but can't figure out how to allow you to turn on the rear seat heaters?

Looks like Tesla has turned this permanently on. Seemingly no option to turn this off or adjust... Model 3 Software Updates

Well, I hope the bugs are fixed then. I toggled mine off when I had several days in a row when the car kept turning the volume up to max while driving a constant speed. Had to continually roll down on the scroll wheel to counter until I could stop and reset. Once I toggled the option off, I stopped seeing that bug.

This is one of those things that baffles me Tesla can't get right... Speed sensitive radio volume was patented in 1965... I owned cars made decades ago that had it working perfectly, as have all the cars I've had since... it's not new tech.

Exactly. As other manufacturers have had such a feature for decades, it ain't rocket science. My 20+ year old Jag allowed the user to set the volume boost from 1-10, so you could find a comfortable listening level at 65 or 85.

To me it doesn't seem to work at all. It's not loud enough at speed and so I turn it up manually, then when I slow down it's way too loud and I have to turn it back down. My BMW had this and it worked really well. I hope someday Tesla will revisit this and get it working correctly.

To me it doesn't seem to work at all. It's not loud enough at speed and so I turn it up manually, then when I slow down it's way too loud and I have to turn it back down. My BMW had this and it worked really well. I hope someday Tesla will revisit this and get it working correctly.
It doesn't work at all. I did some test a couple of months ago using White Noise playing at 80dB at 80MPH and when I came to a stop it still played at 80dB.

• Informative
Reactions: privater
I don’t know if the change happened with V10 but I can guarantee my car has speed sensitive volume control. It’s blatantly obvious at low speeds.
I agree, the speed of the y LR changes automatically. I want to turn that feature off along with other auto settings that come back every time I leave and return to the car. also, FIX THE FONT SIZE!