Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speed sensitive volume setting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, Elon musk said the S/X would always be at the front of technology so it's a little disappointing to see Model 3s getting features S/X don't.

If you watch this video you'll see the immersive sound has low/high instead of just on/off and that it has a new option, speed sensitive volume.

I'm sure this is more of an artifact of there likely being 2 dev teams handling this features and I'm sure it'll come to the S/X but I went with the X first because I assumed this type of thing wouldn't happen.

So, Elon musk said the S/X would always be at the front of technology so it's a little disappointing to see Model 3s getting features S/X don't.

If you watch this video you'll see the immersive sound has low/high instead of just on/off and that it has a new option, speed sensitive volume.

I'm sure this is more of an artifact of there likely being 2 dev teams handling this features and I'm sure it'll come to the S/X but I went with the X first because I assumed this type of thing wouldn't happen.

WHAT!? I've been asking for speed sensitive volume control since I picked up my X in August. Very annoying to have to keep adjusting the audio when driving. Especially odd that it's not included given how easy it seems it would be to implement. Here's hoping they bring it to the S/X soon!

P.S. Elon is BSing us when he says the S/X are the always most advanced. Maybe one day, but for now there's more than a few things the 3 does better. I was most jealous of the responsive touch screen, frunk grocery hooks & dual phone docks, but now I've gotta add this to the list.

Reactions: Xcelerator

Also, you mentioned the immersive sound option having a low/high instead of on/off. Does the S/X have any immersive sound option at all? I don't see it in my X w/premium sound...

WHAT!? I've been asking for speed sensitive volume control since I picked up my X in August. Very annoying to have to keep adjusting the audio when driving. Especially odd that it's not included given how easy it seems it would be to implement. Here's hoping they bring it to the S/X soon!

P.S. Elon is BSing us when he says the S/X are the always most advanced. Maybe one day, but for now there's more than a few things the 3 does better. I was most jealous of the responsive touch screen, frunk grocery hooks & dual phone docks, but now I've gotta add this to the list.
Elon has always been BS'ing a lot of stuff. Never take his word for it.

If someone wants the features of the Model 3, get one.

Reactions: CarbonFree

That's simply because in reality Model 3 is at the front of technology for Tesla at the moment. It has the latest everything, faster computer, more cameras, smarter storage, bettery battery tech etc.

Maybe, maybe not.

When Model S/X get the new Intel CID computer, then they can be expected to get this stuff, but us (and new buyers still for a quarter or two) with the old Tegra... who knows how fast they'll dump us to minimal care, given that is a separate codebase... :)

I remember how pre-AP car updates slowed down when AP1 came. One can imagine what it will be like when the big screen computer (and IC possbily replaced with a HUD?) is replaced with a new one in production...

Last edited:
I have also suggested this feature to Teslsa both corporate and the S.C. That is surely something that an OTA software update could put in place. Maybe that will be one of the "cool new" features Elon mentioned in his tweet this morning when he mentioned updates coming soon. Hope so.

Like many others, speed dependent volume would be great, especially since it is already a part of the audio system!!!

Audio Systems for the Tesla Model S and Model X | TeslaTap

"It was reported by s1nn that the Tesla system includes Volume Management. This automatically changes the volume and bass level based on the vehicles speed (i.e. noise from outside) and the climate control’s fan setting (inside noise) to maintain clarity as these noise sources get louder or softer. My own analysis with a spectrum analyzer did not see any volume changes at different frequencies with fan speed changes, so s1nn may not have actually included this feature on our cars. This test was done with 7.0 software and a MS with the standard audio package for 800 Hz to 8 KHz."

there's a bunch of variables in the code like AUDIO_speedEffect that seems to imply something like this was present for quite a while, just not exposed in UI. I did not really play too much with it, but the names look pretty suggestive.

• Informative
Reactions: tkdkenny
Do you have to crack open the dash to gain root SSH access?
No, but you'll need to find a pretty decent remote exploit in a web browser or some such that talk on the net and then escalate to root locally somehow or have friends at Tesla that would tell you the token to use diag ethernet port and the ssh password.

If you take the dash apart you can easily get into ic and only need a local network exploit in one of a gazillion services running on the cid to gain root there.
Also you don't need root access to be able to see and modify these variables.

Option 3 if you are skilled in hardware work - you can just desolder cid emmc, make your modifications (or read the passowrds) and then solder it back, this also works for ape