Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speed Sign Recognition in BC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How are people finding the accuracy of speed sign recognition?

In town, it is now generally reliable. At first (can't remember which version - 2020.40.8?), it had problems on local roads, interpreting certain signs as speed limits when they weren't. For example, this "winding road for next 5 km" sign was interpreted as a 5 km/h limit!

Wksnkyz96rFKKEIfJE3zf_p9W-yUCQkUMGCF-sEVFnJUnA5CUg2_-DujGCIMzKWWVBrw1-0YY3rEbvSCT-nvez2LR9ETz4KmEmyH9Y75fqiPQ-bQIRu2ULzKJ3ScnwCul0ZyuQN4kdPNUEYtD_1LEcbZAeZ9eDVVjL9sGUHO4IM8QfCeFmYlAHMAkrseITyijG9fK3Kp6oo56EmDRQNU0z5emr7TeGpuFXrH1dWkL4Xc-tK-iFXOTl9T2ZHGwFC7KQql4m0ke81mw9veARRR2BwfaPagG2VMNSTG5SnTinnEfUiIIuo5CrCMzO6Y4UROiL1rDw4fuRae2pAVcntvouMx7V5aK9EaqOqXsZ_5-oIsXBV66jePp6dySqaQv1DdR5q1VlwJc2qLe1baBd4TY3SEEicck4yNvjE3HLcAnHUrBtuIkiIGXUSAYXAD5K_5CsaJWLYUY9dWFf9CaA44wZdEgZCWCkOIlIseu6mLmMnVeYZj5hG6GIVFm7ubsbOcq64nivrRWaCuYOPyKmYJ5q9mu1deXVIffIn7lDcw6-d5ltBLVrKqHeEAdJr2Mj4bVqaqGZrivcWkh7iVZRxHKsqSsp5FPkcXcd-F-_JnIaMtW9kOTmooIuMm7X6ZA4_Yro1lGYkRMYFDLDW4MrNN0iqY6SrjcLHUI3oOeelyVlDI8ymUb9QmxHsC4X9Arhw=w717-h1275-no

RbZRyx9SZPU3gd2JnBqwFxAGFcypOLvbbFlZukopraBftzMIN4SQtY6DNViV7GvJNl6FPZtwqgcYFpO-ddnwzwAsassn7OD_lUQHreI-CFEYUVWV6Y4nOkbvpJf7Q3XfLVFdi2M0pttBgWgefQpDwZK_MD8PSXUbCehPKxovsysJtt2djm3XBDj_Abg01mmv50aOmJYJLukmIBLEXqAeLxJApfCV-mzLfBsprxJr7KJeeiKxXyNDH7qXctVayZVF8ruV1NVq5ivLGxriaNzT-FoSAvp7CBm9YMD92fEOlVTUVRfTqzbfa6N368A2rRGLk-elVMM1fLj4-yez3OdIBdTM4l2wIOUm0KR1G0czIthY4F99QYBsIHvK-jX9KAIQ71cRjRaoVGv9hk0gjyU_bk45S25fouHrRzI_rLFexM5l0fUe2wbR38IjibcLVgQEsBfIIhFO-OBsVeeh8FfdDzBWIVL2-hDTIwELPunUO2BIgDbRzSbFfnweTGk1e5AMBbomLkNoPtk-g5r82-gkrv6nNz9rwsvYEEY8f1FpSlXUPyMsy7tQCntFdTwLvqlSIjBS_x6W_JGZEvCX0iFWa7BQddAFVvAGYw6Zr-iaOb_9F5rhT1u2G-_UYrfGpB7PxLwrm4vzBzhqaRz61NoBsb_2D0jmiIMLp1IediDubkz6Ouf9r3rznUfchsv00IA=w717-h1275-no

The latest software 2020.44.15 appears to have fixed that local road issue.

However, on Hwy 33 and Hwy 3 yesterday, the cornering speed sign recommendations like this

w001-2002_30km.jpg

Are being interpreted as speed limits.

Anyone else finding the same thing?

• Funny
Reactions: McFlurri
More interestingly, in Winnipeg we have these revenue-making school speed zones - a normal white 30kph sign, with a yellow triangle above (school children) and a sign below indicating "9A-5:30P Mon-Fri Sep-Jun". The car will pick up the 30kph limit (time irrelevant) and since the end of the school zone is the same yellow triangle with just a small rectangle below with the word "ENDS" the car never resumes normal speed limit.

I haven't seen it pick up the yellow "suggested speed" signs on curves like you indicate. I'll have to check it out when I get my cruise back. (I rear-ended someone, stupid me, hard enough that the radar unit bracket broke, so I have no radar, no safety or cruise/AP features. It's not even telling me speed limits or stop signs.... and I miss seeing those cones. )

Oh well, that's why there's a beta test version...

More interestingly, in Winnipeg we have these revenue-making school speed zones - a normal white 30kph sign, with a yellow triangle above (school children) and a sign below indicating "9A-5:30P Mon-Fri Sep-Jun". The car will pick up the 30kph limit (time irrelevant) and since the end of the school zone is the same yellow triangle with just a small rectangle below with the word "ENDS" the car never resumes normal speed limit.

I haven't seen it pick up the yellow "suggested speed" signs on curves like you indicate. I'll have to check it out when I get my cruise back. (I rear-ended someone, stupid me, hard enough that the radar unit bracket broke, so I have no radar, no safety or cruise/AP features. It's not even telling me speed limits or stop signs.... and I miss seeing those cones. )

Oh well, that's why there's a beta test version...

You’ve got signs that indicate the end of a school zone? Consider yourself fortunate.

In decades of driving in BC I may have seen one or two of those. We have to guess.

@MexiCanuck no guessing required, just look for the back of the school zone sign for the other direction. Their beginning of school zone is your ending.

Yes, I’m familiar with that opportunity to enhance the guessing. It seems pretty Mickey Mouse to me.

Drivers should not be expected to be looking at the “wrong” side of the road for information about driving.

In addition, the back of the sign may not be visible. A tall vehicle may be parked resulting in oncoming drivers being able to see the obverse side, but blocking visibility of the reverse side of the sign.

Large trees or tall bushes might similarly block visibility of the reverse side.

School zone signs are reflective so that they can be seen easily at dawn and dusk and in fog. The reverse sides are not reflective.

Yes, I know that drivers can search for the information, but it still seems to be bush league signage to me.

Reactions: BrandX
How are people finding the accuracy of speed sign recognition?

In town, it is now generally reliable. At first (can't remember which version - 2020.40.8?), it had problems on local roads, interpreting certain signs as speed limits when they weren't. For example, this "winding road for next 5 km" sign was interpreted as a 5 km/h limit!
The latest software 2020.44.15 appears to have fixed that local road issue.

However, on Hwy 33 and Hwy 3 yesterday, the cornering speed sign recommendations like this

w001-2002_30km.jpg

Are being interpreted as speed limits.

Anyone else finding the same thing?

This is still not fixed in 2020.48.12.1. Drove many km on Highway 33 yesterday with the car thinking the speed limit with 80 km/h, 60 km/h, 30 km/h etc despite the speed limit being 100 km/h. Hopefully this does not lead to speed limit "corrections" on the built-in map.

Reactions: duggadugga
@MexiCanuck you'll have to take all that up with the ministry of transportation! ;):D

It is actually the Motor Vehicle Act regulations that establish the back of a school zone sign as the end of the zone. This is why the sign is the unique shape that it is. It made more sense in an era where signs were not reflectorized.

As for the signage jurisdiction, it is likely actually the local municipality. Municipalities erect signs for all roads except arterial highways which are generally the ones with school zones and they use the Canadian MUTCD. The BC sign manual is only used for provincially owned roads (main highways and roads outside municipalities, except forest service roads).

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Near me, the city posted a 15km/h speed limit sign on the side of the road, but its for the adjacent bike path. The car picks it up because it is exactly where a speed sign would be and is the same layout.

I'm reminded of the Herman cartoon where the cop is writing a ticket for a jogger, beside a "Max 15MPH" sign; and the cop is saying "Oh, quit complaining! You'll be bragging about this for the next 20 years..."

Something I didn’t notice/see before my MCU2 upgrade, is that the car can read lane markings. We just had a bus lane added to my work commute, and as soon as the paint dried, my X was identifying the bus lane on its own.

I don't notice many issues in town. On routes between towns though... it does the strangest things. When they introduced the feature, it started thinking one 90km/h road was 15km/h at a certain point. It reads signs it "shouldn't" a lot, like on parallel frontage roads that are often slower.

But it also fixes some things, like northbound through Winfield it now recognizes are 50km/h instead of 70km/h (!!).

I'd actually pretty much summarise it as it used to think speeds were higher than reality before (due to bad map data), but now usually sees something slower than the actual limit.

I've never actually been on full AP (just cruise) when encountering something like a false 15km/h zone on a highway. Does the car slam on the brakes to drop to 15km/h in that case?

Only been an owner for about a week, but a bit frustrated with the sign recognition. On the highway in to town there's a curve where we're told to slow to 50 km/h. But there's no subsequent sign that raises the speed limit back up to 100 km/h, which it is for the entire highway. So autopilot is essentially useless for the remainder of my trip into town.

In the opposite direction though, things are fine -- it makes very little sense to me.

Only been an owner for about a week, but a bit frustrated with the sign recognition. On the highway in to town there's a curve where we're told to slow to 50 km/h. But there's no subsequent sign that raises the speed limit back up to 100 km/h, which it is for the entire highway. So autopilot is essentially useless for the remainder of my trip into town.

In the opposite direction though, things are fine -- it makes very little sense to me.

Is the sign yellow or white?