Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speed signs not detected by Teslas?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Local roads follow a neat pattern that i straight forward to train, a red circle with either 20, 30, 40 or 50 or national speed limit. Motorways have gantries with many different types of digital signs, roadworks signs, central reservations boards, sometimes different speeds for lanes, advisory limits etc. Tesla simply hasn't trained the cars AI to attenpt to recognise UK speed limits on motorways yet.
That’s fair. IMO We have far too many speed limits. On one section of road covering 4 miles near me it changes 10 times. 30/40/50/60/50/30/60/40/30/60. They could easily bounce between 30 and 50 safely.

I’ll give it a go locally again.

It's one of those wierd Tesla things that the speed limits are completely random and confusing. I've *never* had my car adjust for speed limits - always have to do it myself - on both TACC and AP, with or without FSD. But for some people it works.. almost like they have different software somehow, which wouldn't make sense (A/B testing is a thing but not for 3 years...).
The car doesn't adjust for speed limits, unless you are in a side road using Autopilot, where there's a restriction to 5mph over whatever limit that it detects.

So set the speed warning to some reasonable amount over the speed limit (say 2% for UK, and 15% here in the States) and it'll chime when you are going too fast, which is useful if you miss seeing a speed limit sign which the car sees.

IMHO The speed limit recognition isn't good enough to let the car take care of driving at the speed limit, though it is pretty good at keeping you out of trouble.

Fun story: There's a fun bug found driving on highways around Chicago, which has different speed limits for cars, for buses, and for trucks. But Tesla's speed limit sign detection doesn't read the text on the limit signs. Usually the signs are in the sequence above, so within a space of about 50 yds, the car decides the limit is 70 mph (right), 65, then 55. 😱

Do you mean on a motorway? My Model 3 is pretty reliable at reading speed signs but this feature is not enabled for motorways.

I've only had my Model Y a couple of days, but today I got to drive extensively on a range of different roads. The biggest surprise to me is that Tesla's (or mine anyway) do not detect speed signs. My last couple of cars have both had this ability, so it surprised me that Tesla's seem to use map data only, which is quite unreliable. Do I have a fault?

Also on narrower B-roads and using plain traffic aware cruise control, when the road bends to the left and a car is oncoming, the Tesla seems to expect a crash, alarms blare out and it brakes hard. The aptly named phantom braking. Again, something my past cars have handled very well. I will try turning off the collision detection, but surely Teslas are better than this?

Am I doing something wrong, have a dud, or are Teslas lagging in these areas?
I have had my 2023 Model 3 for 7 months and have travelled over 12k. Having traded a 2021 Mercedes GLC, the only thing I really, really miss is the speed sign recognition. By comparison to the Merc, the Telsa speed sign recognition is woeful. I'm driving along a 110kph motorway, and it picks 5Okpm limits applying to an off-ramp. It picks up 40 kph signs off the back of school buses. It can't distinguish between a truck and vehicle speed limits. Often I have no idea what the speed limit is, especially in between road works. Come on, Tesla, you're supposed to be good at this stuff. When is it going to be fixed?

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
I have had my 2023 Model 3 for 7 months and have travelled over 12k. Having traded a 2021 Mercedes GLC, the only thing I really, really miss is the speed sign recognition. By comparison to the Merc, the Telsa speed sign recognition is woeful. I'm driving along a 110kph motorway, and it picks 5Okpm limits applying to an off-ramp. It picks up 40 kph signs off the back of school buses. It can't distinguish between a truck and vehicle speed limits. Often I have no idea what the speed limit is, especially in between road works. Come on, Tesla, you're supposed to be good at this stuff. When is it going to be fixed?
Likely it varies from country to country, it's broadly ok here in the UK.

Yep, I keep getting told im over the speed limit...

122354281-under-18-sign-warning-symbol-over-18-only-censored-eighteen-age-older-forbidden-adult-content.jpg

Thankfully ours does not brake for speed signs as there are so many false positives from side roads, or worse, motorway junctions such as the Heathrow Terminal 5 slip road 40mph sign that gets picked up from some lanes of the M25 - not that the M25 does much more than 40mph for much of the time.

Come on, Tesla, you're supposed to be good at this stuff. When is it going to be fixed?

A bit of an unsubstantiated rumour that. Reality can be quite different.

Last edited: