Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • The final cut of TMC Podcast #27 is available now with topics time-stamped. We discussed: Consolidation in LiDAR manufacturers; Volvo EX90 shipping with LiDAR; FSD Beta Full Release in N.A.; FSD detecting autopilot cheats, Gwen Shotwell directly overseeing SpaceX Starship; and more. You can watch it now on YouTube. We should have it published to podcast networks shortly.

Speed signs not detected by Teslas?

Undecided_2

Supporting Member
Jan 21, 2022
Helensburgh
Local roads follow a neat pattern that i straight forward to train, a red circle with either 20, 30, 40 or 50 or national speed limit. Motorways have gantries with many different types of digital signs, roadworks signs, central reservations boards, sometimes different speeds for lanes, advisory limits etc. Tesla simply hasn't trained the cars AI to attenpt to recognise UK speed limits on motorways yet.
That’s fair. IMO We have far too many speed limits. On one section of road covering 4 miles near me it changes 10 times. 30/40/50/60/50/30/60/40/30/60. They could easily bounce between 30 and 50 safely.

I’ll give it a go locally again.

It's one of those wierd Tesla things that the speed limits are completely random and confusing. I've *never* had my car adjust for speed limits - always have to do it myself - on both TACC and AP, with or without FSD. But for some people it works.. almost like they have different software somehow, which wouldn't make sense (A/B testing is a thing but not for 3 years...).
The car doesn't adjust for speed limits, unless you are in a side road using Autopilot, where there's a restriction to 5mph over whatever limit that it detects.

So set the speed warning to some reasonable amount over the speed limit (say 2% for UK, and 15% here in the States) and it'll chime when you are going too fast, which is useful if you miss seeing a speed limit sign which the car sees.

IMHO The speed limit recognition isn't good enough to let the car take care of driving at the speed limit, though it is pretty good at keeping you out of trouble.

Fun story: There's a fun bug found driving on highways around Chicago, which has different speed limits for cars, for buses, and for trucks. But Tesla's speed limit sign detection doesn't read the text on the limit signs. Usually the signs are in the sequence above, so within a space of about 50 yds, the car decides the limit is 70 mph (right), 65, then 55. 😱

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC