Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speed up PTO?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
CPA here...if you want to get technical, I would say that because most of us file our individual taxes on a cash basis, your tax rebate would be earned in the year you paid for your system, whether it be all cash, or the time you signed your loan docs.
I agree with your general statement and definitely do not want to get into a debate with a CPA on an issue like this. However, this is what is stated on the ITC instructions for 2019 - https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i5695.pdf - "For purposes of both credits, costs are treated as being paid when the original installation of the item is complete...." (And it does have caveats for certain types of construction/re-construction.) So it seems like this credit is potentially a rare exception to the cash-basis accounting method individuals normally use.

I will be interested to see the 2020 form since it will be the first to show the ITC decline. I suppose another interpretation would be that if installed in 2020 but paid for in 2021, you could claim the 26% deduction but only on your 2021 taxes.

For some reason I no longer have an advisor associated with my account.

I've found that my Tesla Account page on-line does not show my advisor or his contact info. I am still communicating with the last advisor assigned. If you have been reassigned, you can call the general number shown in your account page and talk to anyone to get the contact info of your current advisor. My advisor changed a couple of times, but has been the same for a while now.

I've found that my Tesla Account page on-line does not show my advisor or his contact info. I am still communicating with the last advisor assigned. If you have been reassigned, you can call the general number shown in your account page and talk to anyone to get the contact info of your current advisor. My advisor changed a couple of times, but has been the same for a while now.

I emailed them and asked for an ETA on the PTO submission and I got:

"Currently, there are no updates. Once we have more information, we will reach out and inform you. Thank you."

I will try finding my current advisor's number and see if I can get an answer from them.

I emailed them and asked for an ETA on the PTO submission and I got:

"Currently, there are no updates. Once we have more information, we will reach out and inform you. Thank you."

I will try finding my current advisor's number and see if I can get an answer from them.

Might have been a poor choice of words with customer service as it gave them an easy out. I was hearing here that multiple people were getting PG&E PTO application submittal emails a few days after paying the invoice, so when I didn't get after 10 days I called asked for "confirmation that the PTO was submitted". First time I was told that everything was in order and that they would request an expediate with the document department. The second time a week later, again everything was confirmed to be in order, but not submitted and I got a PG&E email a few hours latter.

Tesla has a really poor CRM and ticket tracking system if they have one at all.

Might have been a poor choice of words with customer service as it gave them an easy out. I was hearing here that multiple people were getting PG&E PTO application submittal emails a few days after paying the invoice, so when I didn't get after 10 days I called asked for "confirmation that the PTO was submitted". First time I was told that everything was in order and that they would request an expediate with the document department. The second time a week later, again everything was confirmed to be in order, but not submitted and I got a PG&E email a few hours latter.

Tesla has a really poor CRM and ticket tracking system if they have one at all.

I suppose it could have been worded better. It appears they have little motivation to actually get you answers and are simply looking to process emails. As suggested , I called to get the name of my advisor and discovered I now have been assigned a new advisor. This would explain why my last advisor never responded to my last email. This will be the third advisor I have been assigned since. Again I got "no update"> I asked him to do what he can to push things along. He said he will contact that department and try to push it forward. We will see of anything come of it. I also sent an email to my utility to see if I can get any information on their end.

I suppose it could have been worded better. It appears they have little motivation to actually get you answers and are simply looking to process emails. As suggested , I called to get the name of my advisor and discovered I now have been assigned a new advisor. This would explain why my last advisor never responded to my last email. This will be the third advisor I have been assigned since. Again I got "no update"> I asked him to do what he can to push things along. He said he will contact that department and try to push it forward. We will see of anything come of it. I also sent an email to my utility to see if I can get any information on their end.
Our utility had a web site where you could put in your utility account numbers and see if there were any pending PTO or other applications. Does your utility have something like this?

Silly question friends, but, how do we know or what is the indicator that signals Tesla filing for PTO request with the Utility Company or not? Like how do you guys know if they have triggered it or not?

I'm asking to gain a better understanding. Today we had our utility inspection, accompanied by a Tesla rep. Our inspection passed. Our advisor told us the PTO could be coming in ~ 2 weeks, no action required from us. In the same hour we also received an email for a Tarrif Application to sign from our metering company... What does this mean? Does this signal that PTO was requested by Tesla or this is a separate, independent account? FWIW, we signed our Tarrif Application right away...

Appreciate any input! Thanks!

Our utility had a web site where you could put in your utility account numbers and see if there were any pending PTO or other applications. Does your utility have something like this?

I went to my local utility (Eversource, Connecticut) website's application page and logged in with my credentials. There is no data listed under interconnect. I am wondering if Tesla had their own account that they use for applications?

Attachments

• interconnect.jpg
    interconnect.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 65
Update:

I contacted the utility directly and found out who was in charge of my interconnect application. I emailed him today and copied [email protected]. I got an email at the end of the day that my paperwork was completed and approved. He ordered the meter change to be done as soon as possible. All I need now is for Tesla to upload the documentation to Power Clerk and sign. Once this is done and the meter is changed he said he will issue PTO. I feel so much better now that I have some forward momentum. I love Tesla's products but they have kept me in the dark and guessing through this entire process. I realize I am preaching to the choir as everyone seems to have these issues. I don't mind being my own project manager but it would be nice to be given the information I need to keep the project on track.

Reactions: jboy210
Update:

I contacted the utility directly and found out who was in charge of my interconnect application. I emailed him today and copied [email protected]. I got an email at the end of the day that my paperwork was completed and approved. He ordered the meter change to be done as soon as possible. All I need now is for Tesla to upload the documentation to Power Clerk and sign. Once this is done and the meter is changed he said he will issue PTO. I feel so much better now that I have some forward momentum. I love Tesla's products but they have kept me in the dark and guessing through this entire process. I realize I am preaching to the choir as everyone seems to have these issues. I don't mind being my own project manager but it would be nice to be given the information I need to keep the project on track.
Glad you are making forward progress. But, you are correct, it should not be this hard. Tesla needs to do much better about tracking the progress of these applications and keeping the end user updated.

Reactions: Rich121
Now that I have been communicating directly with the Project Manager from the Utility, things are moving along very quickly. Paperwork signed, Tesla submitted it, and the meter change is scheduled for tomorrow. Once he confirms in the meter system that the meter change has been successful, he will issue PTO. Finally nearing the end!

San mateo Bay area here. Finished install on 10/22. Inspection on 11/6. Then invoice on 11/7. Paid in full 11/9. PTO submitted 11/11. Pto approved 11/16 via email.

I didn't do much to speed up PTO other than call them the following Tuesday after I paid to see if PTO was submitted. He said they were working on it. After that call, the very next day, my PTO was submitted.

Reactions: jboy210
San mateo Bay area here. Finished install on 10/22. Inspection on 11/6. Then invoice on 11/7. Paid in full 11/9. PTO submitted 11/11. Pto approved 11/16 via email.

I didn't do much to speed up PTO other than call them the following Tuesday after I paid to see if PTO was submitted. He said they were working on it. After that call, the very next day, my PTO was submitted.

Wow, that is a great timeline considering you did not have to get involved. I would be satisfied with that response time.

Here is my timeline so far:

Order Placed- 6/20

Design Approved- 6/25

Interconnection Application submitted-9/17

Verbal approval from Utility to install - 9/30

Install day 1 - 10/15

Install day 2 - 10/17

Install completed - 10/22 (Main 200a breaker had to be ordered and replaced)

Inspection: 10/27

PTO Submitted 11/16

PTO approval - Still waiting

Wow, that is a great timeline considering you did not have to get involved. I would be satisfied with that response time.

Here is my timeline so far:

Order Placed- 6/20

Design Approved- 6/25

Interconnection Application submitted-9/17

Verbal approval from Utility to install - 9/30

Install day 1 - 10/15

Install day 2 - 10/17

Install completed - 10/22 (Main 200a breaker had to be ordered and replaced)

Inspection: 10/27

PTO Submitted 11/16

PTO approval - Still waiting

FWIW, it took us approximately 11 months from first payment to PTO on our Solar Roof. Started October 2019, PTO received in Sept 2020

FWIW, it took us approximately 11 months from the first payment to PTO on our Solar Roof. Started October 2019, PTO received in Sept 2020

I know solar roofs can be a little more involved but damn, that is a long wait. I have read many stories of extremely long processing times with Tesla. I am certain if I left it up to Tesla and did not get involved I would still be waiting on installation right now. I went for almost 3 months with no progress. When I started making calls and reaching out to the utility myself is when things started moving quickly. I know my current timeline will look good from the perspective of many people, but it required a lot of effort.

I know solar roofs can be a little more involved but damn, that is a long wait. I have read many stories of extremely long processing times with Tesla. I am certain if I left it up to Tesla and did not get involved I would still be waiting on installation right now. I went for almost 3 months with no progress. When I started making calls and reaching out to the utility myself is when things started moving quickly. I know my current timeline will look good from the perspective of many people, but it required a lot of effort.
Wait time was extended by Covid. But even before Covid was a worry we ordered in October/November and construction did not start until March 2. People take holidays at the end of the year. Having been in constant home remodel for 5 years we always assumed Thanksgiving to January was a minimal work time and scheduled accordingly.

solar roof passed inspection 10/23
Tesla put in for PTO to SCE 11/2
PTO denied on 11/16 - customer sizing waiver sheet was not filled out right and they want load calcs
Tesla resubmit for PTO 11/16

Good data point...since you are in Camarillo, I am assuming your utility provider is SCE. Mine PTO request was submitted on 11/5 by Tesla. Hopefully all is in order.