Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speed up PTO?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Passed my inspection last week but Tesla has not yet submitted my PTO application with the local utility. I replied to the text number they used to communicate with me and they said they had not submitted the application and would update me on Thursday. Thursday came (today) and no update. I reached out to ask about it and my response back was "no updates yet". Is there anything I can do to speed things up? I don't want to be a PIA but I feel if I don't push them I could be waiting for months as others have.

Passed my inspection last week but Tesla has not yet submitted my PTO application with the local utility. I replied to the text number they used to communicate with me and they said they had not submitted the application and would update me on Thursday. Thursday came (today) and no update. I reached out to ask about it and my response back was "no updates yet". Is there anything I can do to speed things up? I don't want to be a PIA but I feel if I don't push them I could be waiting for months as others have.

They gave you Thursday as the date they would update you. I think you are not being a PITA if now call for the status.

BTW, if it the tax claiming you are worried about, many of us consider the completion to be when the system was commissioned by the installer when they left.

I would be comfortable claiming the tax credit now that install and inspection are complete. I Just want to get the system up and running before I have to start making payments on something that I am not able to "legally" use.

BTW, if it the tax claiming you are worried about, many of us consider the completion to be when the system was commissioned by the installer when they left.

CPA here...if you want to get technical, I would say that because most of us file our individual taxes on a cash basis, your tax rebate would be earned in the year you paid for your system, whether it be all cash, or the time you signed your loan docs.

We were a cash deal (Tesla split into 2 payments, initial on first day of install and balance after PTO granted). Tesla remitted our paperwork and drawings to PG&E on 10/5; we didn’t hear from PG&E with PTO until 10/29. Paid Tesla the final payment next day and were good to go at their end and got the Solar/PWs added to my app account the next day after requesting (couldn’t happen until after PTO). From what we could tell PG&E just took a good portion of the 30 business days to review and finalize our application. Just assumed they are swamped with all the solar/PW installs at this time of year.

Does anyone have experience with PTO timeline of a financed system? I wonder if they are waiting for documentation form the finance company? It would be nice if Tesla gave me a better response than "no updates yet". I would be happy with "I am sorry we are extremely busy and we may not be able to process your request until (insert date).

Does anyone have experience with PTO timeline of a financed system? I wonder if they are waiting for documentation form the finance company? It would be nice if Tesla gave me a better response than "no updates yet". I would be happy with "I am sorry we are extremely busy and we may not be able to process your request until (insert date).

In my case it didn’t seem to be related. Within a few days of the install the finance company disbursed about 20% of the total to Tesla, with the remainder disbursed after PTO had been received.

Took two weeks to the day for them to submit the PTO request and that was only because I called my advisor 5 times

The thing is, we don’t really know if calling your advisor 5 times really made any difference here or not. It could have been that PTO would have been submitted two weeks later whether you had called or not. But I think that’s part of the problem... there is so little visibility into the process for the consumer. It certainly seems to us like they should be able to click that submit button as soon as the local inspection is complete, but we really don’t know what’s going on behind the scenes. Maybe there are other checks they need to do. Maybe they are seriously short staffed in that department and there’s just a two week backlog of applications. Or maybe your application fell on the floor and no one noticed they had been walking over it for two weeks.

I think that two week delay would be much easier for us to handle if we had some idea of what was going on and the assurance that we hadn’t been forgotten about. When there’s just no communication at all it’s easy for us to assume the worst.