Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speed zone control with autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Im traveling for a few days and haven't been able update my P85D yet.

Havent seen even it mentioned in any posts or maybe I missed it but does autopilot also alter speed of vehicle whilst in various speed zones or is this feature note yet included?

I don't want this feature to be included, unless it's fully customizable.

What aspects of customizability are you thinking of? I love the concept of it auto adjusting speed... I do worry that the execution would be questionable.

My areas of concern are:
School zones, or other areas with a) non standard speed sign & b) time limits affecting when the speed is impacted - that said, while inconvenient, if it always went to the slower speed, that wouldn't be the worse thing. Now I don't drive through school zones often, so I could tolerate such behavior, but could understand if others would be more bothered/impacted than I.

Cross walk speed signs. We have signs around here reducing the speed limit when lights are flashing. Currently (actually, last I checked, AP may have changed its behaviour) AP reads the sign as the active speed limit. I do not want/need it to slow me down at the crosswalk (driver should handle that for foreseeable future), and I also don't want it slowing me down when the crosswalk is empty... that is similar to the timed school zones, but there it acts as a reminder to be aware of kids (not a horrible thing), here, it would be just plain annoying.

A situation where the speed limit was 110km/h but the car recognized it as 10km/h (has happened). It would be dangerous to slow the car in that situation. Thus, I think a threshold should be in place... adjust speed if within X percentage, otherwise, don't adjust speed, maybe beep? And if it was going to beep, allow the driver to confirm or deny the speed change (so it can be fed back to the AP Hive Mind and improve things in the future).

Speeding up when weather suggests it isn't safe to do so. This perhaps can be mitigated by the driver not using AP in poor weather.

As to Max's point of customizability... the car already allows a +/- setting (go +5 or -3 compared to posted speed limit). It may be nice to allow that to be different +/- settings for different speed ranges... and if possible, under different situations... maybe in a construction zone, always go the speed limit, same for school zone. No idea how feasible that is (am thinking it is possible, but certainly not easy, given the range of signs all over the world).

I'm sure there are many other thoughts people have, and I look forward to reading them. This Autopilot concept, be it lane control or speed control, or parking in the confined area of a garage, they are all fascinating to think about!

What aspects of customizability are you thinking of? I love the concept of it auto adjusting speed... I do worry that the execution would be questionable.

My areas of concern are:
School zones, or other areas with a) non standard speed sign & b) time limits affecting when the speed is impacted - that said, while inconvenient, if it always went to the slower speed, that wouldn't be the worse thing. Now I don't drive through school zones often, so I could tolerate such behavior, but could understand if others would be more bothered/impacted than I.

Cross walk speed signs. We have signs around here reducing the speed limit when lights are flashing. Currently (actually, last I checked, AP may have changed its behaviour) AP reads the sign as the active speed limit. I do not want/need it to slow me down at the crosswalk (driver should handle that for foreseeable future), and I also don't want it slowing me down when the crosswalk is empty... that is similar to the timed school zones, but there it acts as a reminder to be aware of kids (not a horrible thing), here, it would be just plain annoying.

A situation where the speed limit was 110km/h but the car recognized it as 10km/h (has happened). It would be dangerous to slow the car in that situation. Thus, I think a threshold should be in place... adjust speed if within X percentage, otherwise, don't adjust speed, maybe beep? And if it was going to beep, allow the driver to confirm or deny the speed change (so it can be fed back to the AP Hive Mind and improve things in the future).

Speeding up when weather suggests it isn't safe to do so. This perhaps can be mitigated by the driver not using AP in poor weather.

As to Max's point of customizability... the car already allows a +/- setting (go +5 or -3 compared to posted speed limit). It may be nice to allow that to be different +/- settings for different speed ranges... and if possible, under different situations... maybe in a construction zone, always go the speed limit, same for school zone. No idea how feasible that is (am thinking it is possible, but certainly not easy, given the range of signs all over the world).

I'm sure there are many other thoughts people have, and I look forward to reading them. This Autopilot concept, be it lane control or speed control, or parking in the confined area of a garage, they are all fascinating to think about!

1. I can turn it off.
B. I can set it to +mph or +%. If I'm doing 15mph over in a 70mph zone, I don't want to be doing 15mph over in a 25mph zone.
III. I can turn it off.
d. I don't want it to adjust to highway (yellow) turn suggested speeds.
Five. I can turn it off.

I have a road next to me which has a 55mph speed limit on 4 lanes, and 65mph on 2 paid lanes. My car, if I'm in the left lane (close to the paid lanes, but not in them) constantly thinks the speed limit is 65mph. Even if this was implemented correctly, I want to be able to turn it off.

Another example, I'm on the highway, everyone is doing 75mph, speed limit is 55mph. Speed limit increases to 65mph. Everyone is still doing 75mp. I don't want my TACC to get set to 85mph. (or vice-versa if I'm going in the opposite direction). I generally follow traffic, not the speed limit (yadda yadda, breaking the law), so I don't want the car to adjust my speed automatically based on that.

1. I can turn it off.
B. I can set it to +mph or +%. If I'm doing 15mph over in a 70mph zone, I don't want to be doing 15mph over in a 25mph zone.
III. I can turn it off.
d. I don't want it to adjust to highway (yellow) turn suggested speeds.
Five. I can turn it off.

I wouldn't want an auto adjust, but an easy way to accept the proposed speed for this area, say double-click downwards accepts the new speed limit.

Here in Switzerland when I am cruising through villages, I have to switch every minute between 50 km/h (in the villages) and 80 (outside), which is cumbersome today.

I wouldn't want an auto adjust, but an easy way to accept the proposed speed for this area, say double-click downwards accepts the new speed limit.

Here in Switzerland when I am cruising through villages, I have to switch every minute between 50 km/h (in the villages) and 80 (outside), which is cumbersome today.

You can pull and hold the cruise control lever for about a second and it will go to the detected speed limit ( plus offset if you have it set)

WAZE reports + auto pilot = reduce speed when "police reported ahead" :) ta-da.

I think this auto speed zone driving has too many factors to consider, I will rather just use my brain until level 3 or level 4 autonomous driving.

What if the car starts learning your speed behavior and possibly starts pulling in available open sourse data to make speed adjustments?

For instance I don't want the car to just decelerate as it passes by a speed sign, I want to ease down to the right speed as it passes by. Simarily for speed increases.

Also, Waze incident data is an available free api so this could be pulled in rather easily into the algorithm but I would assume the driver would want to know why the car was slowing down if for no other reason than using this data like the driver would if given the data directly. Maybe even just blink the speed sign in the UI and then in settings have a toggle for "Use real-time fleet data to assist autopilot"

You can pull and hold the cruise control lever for about a second and it will go to the detected speed limit ( plus offset if you have it set)

You will only start slowing down after the speed change. Not a major issue on main roads, but when you enter a city or village, that's too late and by the time the car slow down you'll be speeding within city limit and have a high chance or getting caught by a speed trap.

would be great if the car would indicate the speed change a few hundred meters before it, so by the time you get there, your speed is right.

What is nice to have is an automatic speed change only when autopilot is engaged, and only on highways or other major roads where AP can be used correctly.
All other scenarios are simply too risky!
The AP software should simply be programmed to ignore sudden switching from high speeds to a much lower ones (say 110kmh to 40kmh or 65mph to 15mph), because such abrupt speed limit changes (based on road signs) are never a real world case on highways or any other major roads, and there is simply no way a road administration would sanction such an abrupt speed limit change on a highway... not even for manual driving!

would be great if the car would indicate the speed change a few hundred meters before it, so by the time you get there, your speed is right.

+1. I got flashed in summer on a French highway because of this (never received the bill though somehow ;), perhaps it went to my internet provider as Tesla France had picked up a wrong address from my proof of domicile when registering the car).

I was cruising at 135 km/h (+5 above limit setting), then a speed camera warning sign pops up, then a new sign for 110km/h. I accept the speed change, car starts decelerating and then I see a flash (was probably going at around 120 by then). The camera was installed about 200m after the 110km/h sign. It would be really great if the speed change was indicated as soon as it gets detected. I don't see any cons to this as the car anyway does not adjust speed automatically.

I think this auto speed zone driving has too many factors to consider, I will rather just use my brain until level 3 or level 4 autonomous driving.

Me too probably, but why not have it as an option. The car knows speed signs, and the car knows your +/- preference, and the car has control of the throttle.

If it's a legal / perception concern, I'd suggest it's probably more reckless to NOT have an option to have the speed auto-adjust to posted signs. AP might get one I miss, it's not perfect but neither am I.

edit: I think I just changed my mind... I already see one problem with lag, eg. where I am going into a low speed area set my own speed slower than the + I have set for TACC (ie. posted "suggestion" at least in Ontario) then the system sees the sign and speeds up inappropriately. The slower the speed, the more closely we obey the posted limit, obviously. I am planning for speed zone changes much sooner than AP shows them, at least in 7.0 on the screen. This could still be done but now I'd want to see different +/- for speed "zones".

Last edited:
What if it just learned from your driving habits in particular road segments?

While you are driving manually and adjusting speed and course it could be learning and then apply the same or similar methods.

I think that is the overall goal and the current settings are just the beginning, but this is just a guess of course ;)