Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speedo indicator shows "P" while driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else experience this issue, was driving along at highway speed, well maybe a little over, looked at the speedo WTF, it was showing "P", took the next offramp pulled over and stopped, moved the lever to reverse, the back to drive, then the "D" indicator showed, and.......I was and still no longer getting text notification from my phone, related? did a hard reset once I got home, see what happens next. Just checked, still no text.

It's happened to me twice. At least once was just after going into drive while leaving the browser (which had ABRP open), the other time the display was frozen but when it reads it stayed indicating P.

My guess is if the computer is quite busy, it misses the message for the gear change somehow. Of course it's only the media computer so it's only lying... :S

Mine had "D" and no speedometer or PRND letters up top. Used AP to set the limit to get me home. A reboot fixed it. Also freaked out my autofold mirror settings until I reset it.

Attachments

• IMG_20200421_194151.jpg
    IMG_20200421_194151.jpg
    555.6 KB · Views: 66
I had it happen about a month ago. I was charging my car and met up with some friends. We were standing beside the car talking which activated sentry mode. When it was time to leave I tried to get in the car and it wouldn't open. I opened up the app and unlocked the car through the app. The door unlocked but when I opened it it blasted loud music and wouldn't start for about 5 minutes. I drove a short distance all was well. Put the car in park and got out for a couple minutes. Got back in and started driving and noticed that the speedometer only displayed P. I pulled over put the car in park then drive and it displayed D then when I started driving it switched back to P being displayed. After doing the 2 scroll button reset it went back to normal.

Exact same thing with me.Reboot solved. Haven't seen it since. It happened the day after I got the HW 3 install and the latest software upgrade.
Another possible data point for HW3... My car was updated this afternoon by mobile service and the third time I got into the car to drive it, the big D took over from my indicated speed and the P R N D was gone. However, this was just after getting the Sentry activation screen on the display and refusing to disappear when I put the car in gear (D and R). Sentry screen only went away when I cycled the car into and out of Park one more time. Did a reboot when I got home but haven't taken the car out again. I would have thought that the tech would have rebooted after the hardware install and software update but maybe not.

Another possible data point for HW3... My car was updated this afternoon by mobile service and the third time I got into the car to drive it, the big D took over from my indicated speed and the P R N D was gone. However, this was just after getting the Sentry activation screen on the display and refusing to disappear when I put the car in gear (D and R). Sentry screen only went away when I cycled the car into and out of Park one more time. Did a reboot when I got home but haven't taken the car out again. I would have thought that the tech would have rebooted after the hardware install and software update but maybe not.
Still on 2.5 over here and it happened.