TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Speedometer Accuracy?

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by ratsbew, Aug 12, 2018.

1. ratsbew

ratsbew Member

I set up a GPS speedometer app on my phone and it reported about 1mph slower than what Model 3's speedometer reads.

Honestly, I'm quite disappointed in this. If I see a number, I expect it to be accurate. You'd think that the car would use GPS to calibrate the speedometer like my bicycle computer does.

• Funny x 7
  2. SSedan

SSedan Member

Tire wear reduces diameter, and different tires will have slightly different diameters even at the same size.
    Tesla likely uses an average tire stat not a precise measurement of the original tires.

The car and the phone are both likely rounding a bit, if they displayed a place after the decimal you might find them within .1.

• Like x 1
  3. thegruf

thegruf Active Member

@ratsbew you missed the /jk off the end of your post ;)

4. Lasttoy

Lasttoy Member

My TomTom says same as my car. I checked it when i bought it. The police radars say the same.

• Funny x 2
  5. TT97

TT97 Active Member

I am assuming you have had your phone GPS recently calibrated and certified to be accurate.

6. VT_EE

VT_EE Member

If you are within 1mph of the true speed, you should be very happy. I have never owned a car that accurate (BMW, Toyota, Saturn, Mazda, etc).

7. Thunder7ga

Thunder7ga Member

The town I live in has a few permanent speed indicator signs that show your speed and flash if you are 1 MPH over the limit. Based on what it (not very scientific by any means) says, the car indicates a speed about 1-2 MPH below what the sign typically says.

8. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Active Member

1%is well within the tolerance of 10%. 1% can easily be explained as rounding error.

I suspect that your GPS manufacturer wouldn't say that it's device supports 1%

9. Runebane

Runebane Member

I'm curious, does the Model 3 user GPS to determine speed or does it do it like other vehicles and it's the rotation of the tires? If the latter, most companies err on the side of caution. IE they set it so you think you're going faster than you are.

Mine is 2 MPH faster than what I see with my phones GPS. That's 1 MPH better than the car I replaced, it was 3 higher than my phones GPS.

10. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

I had the same thought.

Trying to figure out if the OP's posting is serious or not since the only ratings on the initial posting are "funny".

11. ratsbew

ratsbew Member

Of course I'm serious. I'd fully expect the speedometer to be dead on. Anything other than that isn't telling me the info that I want.

It should be quite easy to periodically calibrate the speedometer with the GPS.

As for my phone's GPS, it's true that I just picked up an app from the app store. I'd assume it to be correct, but I should probably use my cycling GPS that has speed to the tenth.

• Disagree x 1
  12. AnarchyEOD

AnarchyEOD Member

That’s it.. burn it to the ground!

13. MRPLUGIN

MRPLUGIN Member

That's the final straw!....I'm canceling my reservation!.....OH I already have it.........What is this world coming to.

• Funny x 2
  14. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

I have a Garmin Edge 800 and have compared my speed with a cyclist riding next to me. Our speeds typically vary and are more likely to differ then be the same. I'm not saying the Tesla speed is accurate but it isn't something I worry about.

15. Runebane

Runebane Member

You do know that cars do NOT have an accurate speedometer right? Unless you pay a 3rd party to tune it to 100% it's going to be off and most likely reporting higher than what it really is.

16. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

It’s also common practice to report faster than actual. No blame for speeding tickets. My bmw, Acura, dodge, and Tesla are all off. The Tesla is closest.

17. seyclone

seyclone Member

Truly an Earth shattering first world problem.

• Funny x 1
  18. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

By law a speedometer can never report slower than you are really moving, but they are allowed to report up to 5% faster than you are going. As a result all speedometers read faster than you are actually going.

19. Jonathantuba

Jonathantuba Member

Mercedes cars under-read by 3mph, so I would consider within 1mph pretty accurate. And it is the right side to stop you getting speeding ticket.

The speedo on my model X seems spot on, going by readside displays of my speed

20. widodh

widodh Model S 85kWh

#20 widodh, Aug 13, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    I am not sure about the US, but as far as I know in Europe there is a law that a Speedometer always has to be slightly inaccurate to make sure that people are never speeding by accident. This way they can't get a ticket if they stick to exactly the speed on their speedo.

• Like x 1