Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

speedometer blocked by my hand

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dab314

Dec 22, 2021
NJ
On the latest upgrade, the speed is shown on the extreme upper left corner. When i drive, my left hand is in the 2 o'clock position, completely blocking the speedometer. Why isn't the reading in the middle, and why isn't it larger print as this is very important information.
And what is that on the left with the speed listed as MAX? And while I'm on this blog, why isn't the print on navigation directions in dark print and larger? Plenty room in these boxes.

Hi, and welcome to Tesla.

First, read your manual or watch the videos. They tell you everything you need to know about the little steering wheel.

Not many folk are happy with V 11.0 of the user interface. I feel it was better before the release in December. They are getting an earful. No worries. Refinements are coming.

TMC is an awesome place to learn about your car. I've received excellent advice on caring for my MYLR. I've made many pre and post delivery decisions based on TMC.

Also, do not sweat software updates. You, as was everyone else was at the end of the line.

Enjoy.

I'm hopeful but not confident. In 14 months they've twice made the speedometer and map harder to read. Instead of Elon's promised fixes: car colorizer, TeslaMic, Hedgehog, light show, boombox, Polytopia, Sudoku, ... and they're working on Steam.

They're short on judgement, not programming & QA time.

This only makes me wonder how your steering wheel and seat are positioned.

For sh*ts and giggles I went out to my car and found it impossible for me to block the speedometer when seated in any normal position.
My daughter is 5'-3" and has to sit very close to the wheel. I can easily imagine her hand blocking the speed display. She's off at college, so can't get her to check right now.

Lower the steering wheel and/or raise the seat?
Sure, or just move your hand.

All my cars in the last 15 years had places I could set the adjustable wheel that would block the speedometer, in places. This can probably be user-corrected too.

But it is a little close to the wheel for some people. I just object to making it smaller and less bold. Makes no sense.

This only makes me wonder how your steering wheel and seat are positioned.

For sh*ts and giggles I went out to my car and found it impossible for me to block the speedometer when seated in any normal position.
Same. I tried it several times tonight. That said, I miss the bolder font of the speedometer, and preferred it in the middle of the screen, and closer to the speed limit sign.

The blindspot window movement up to your eye level is a considerable improvement and it does make a big difference to not have to look down and right when you're trying to turn left. But the window on that small screen does not in any way suffice for having a warning light on the mirror.

Warning lights on the mirror should be mandatory for every vehicle on the road.

Let me cite an example from yesterday. I was rolling down the highway in the middle lane and suddenly the huge semi to the right of me started to move over into my lane. I had to take immediate evasive action and fortunately there was no vehicle in the lane to my left. It sure would have been nice and safer to be able to glance at that mirror warning light and know if there was someone in that lane or not. There was definitely no time to put on the signal and look down and to the right to see if there were someone there.

Had I seen the warning light in the mirror, at least I would have had an opportunity to accelerate out of it.

C'mon Tesla. Are we more interested in safety or in keeping everything on one little screen?