Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speedometer Sensor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anybody have an idea where the speedometer sensor is installed? Is it on the front or rear wheels? I’m asking because I plan to get different size tires for a staggered setup but I don’t want to change the speedometer readout by a significant amount.

I’ll be getting the correct size tires for the wheels where the speedometer sensor is installed and changing the size of the other set of tires.

• Funny
Reactions: WarpedOne
Does anybody have an idea where the speedometer sensor is installed? Is it on the front or rear wheels? I’m asking because I plan to get different size tires for a staggered setup but I don’t want to change the speedometer readout by a significant amount.

I’ll be getting the correct size tires for the wheels where the speedometer sensor is installed and changing the size of the other set of tires.

Bro, did you find an answer to this?

I have a 19" wheel with 255/40 tire that I wanted to test on a Model Y (stock 255/45R19).

I wonder if the speedometer on a Model Y or Model 3 is based on wheel/tire rotation or GPS.

All four wheels have wheel speed sensors. You can't trick them, and installing the wrong sized tire will result in ABS/TC/SC/etc faults. Just get the right sized tires...

Wheel speed sensors?
On an ev with a fixed ratio gearbox and no clutch?
With and absolute motor position sensor?

Muhahahahaha ...:):):):):):):)

So, which is it?
Not being petulant, just wanting to see if I can repurpose tires.

I'm just full of it ... yes, each wheel has a speed sensor - it's part of ABS system.
But that does not mean you can / can't mount different tyres... it depends how big the difference really is.

Tyre Size Calculator shows 255/40R19 and 255/45R19 have 3,6% difference in diameter/circumference which is a a bit high, tolerances are about 3%.
Using these smaller wheels will give you 3% more torque and better acceleration though...

I'm just full of it ... yes, each wheel has a speed sensor - it's part of ABS system.
But that does not mean you can / can't mount different tyres... it depends how big the difference really is.

Tyre Size Calculator shows 255/40R19 and 255/45R19 have 3,6% difference in diameter/circumference which is a a bit high, tolerances are about 3%.
Using these smaller wheels will give you 3% more torque and better acceleration though...

Got it. Good to know, thanks.