Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speedometer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This has been constantly mentioned since the beginning - the front row has been moved forward, making more leg room. This can be done because it is an EV, and no driver console (IC) is needed to display a bunch of info because of eventual FSD capability. There were talks about there being an HUD, but they made it clear it wasn't going to be there.

So, I have been wondering how the driver determines the speed while driving. I know, someone will again bring up FSD, but let's be real, it is not coming for a while. Besides, it is only an option. I check my speed constantly when driving, as do most of you I suppose. I think speed is too important a meter to display on the touch screen only. It looks like the driver has to turn their head to see the speed. Is this not the case?

I was hoping some cool feature (HUD equivalent) will be revealed at the release - to show the speed to the driver, but there was nothing, and I don't see anything mentioned anywhere. I also don't see anyone complaining about the issue. What am I missing here?

Yeah, been mentioned forever, the speed is always on the upper left corner of the central display. All the videos show it.

There have been demos that that position is not much further away than parts of the instrument cluster in front of the driver on the S, for example. You won't know how it really feels until you take a test drive.

And, finally, if you really really need it in front of you, you can always get a Navdy or other HUD-ish display.

And, finally, if you really really need it in front of you, you can always get a Navdy or other HUD-ish display.

No, you cannot. Navdy requires functional OBD-II port. It is not functional in Tesla S, I dont expect any different in Tesla 3. There are non-connected solutions using GPS, but its less reliable. Question is why one needs to 'improve' luxury 44K car? Missing driver cluster is an epic fail, worse than falcon doors.

I was hoping some cool feature (HUD equivalent) will be revealed at the release - to show the speed to the driver, but there was nothing, and I don't see anything mentioned anywhere. I also don't see anyone complaining about the issue. What am I missing here?
You are missing a great deal of discussion in past threads discussing this issue ad nauseum. Tesla addressed the lack of speedometer gauge by indicating the speed on the central display - as close to your driving vision as possible.

Reactions: boaterva
No, you cannot. Navdy requires functional OBD-II port. It is not functional in Tesla S, I dont expect any different in Tesla 3. There are non-connected solutions using GPS, but its less reliable. Question is why one needs to 'improve' luxury 44K car? Missing driver cluster is an epic fail, worse than falcon doors.
I've said the same thing myself about the OBD and connected devices, but you can get speed data from your phone. Erik did a video on it and it seemed to work reasonably well. And on the OBD-II, some CAN data is actually available, it's not just power as is commonly thought, but it looks like most devices can't decipher it.

I have seen Navdy being used in Model S before so cleary your are misinformed.

I understand the speed is displayed on the touch screen, as I mentioned in the original post. Just thought you'd still need to turn your head to see it, and felt it was going to be too inconvenient. Of course as you guys mentioned, I should reserve any judgement until I actually drove the car.

I own an S, so don't browse the X or the 3 forums much. Should've searched before posting here. I apologize; Didn't mean to start a duplicate discussion.

I understand the speed is displayed on the touch screen, as I mentioned in the original post. Just thought you'd still need to turn your head to see it, and felt it was going to be too inconvenient. Of course as you guys mentioned, I should reserve any judgement until I actually drove the car.

I own an S, so don't browse the X or the 3 forums much. Should've searched before posting here. I apologize; Didn't mean to start a duplicate discussion.
You absolutely do not need to turn your head to see the speed.

The speed display on the central screen will never be blocked by the steering wheel like the normal speedometer location sometimes is. The Model 3 central screen may well be a superior user interface.

GSP