Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

spinning tires on screen while charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday, there were 2 odd things happen with the image of my car on the screen -- the weirdest was that, after I plugged in at a Supercharger, the image of my car on the screen (left side) showed my car in 3/4 view with the wheels spinning. They looked like they were spinning backwards - that could be just be a trick of the eye - but they were definitely spinning. However, because it was actually charging, I locked up and went to the grocery store. When I got back 15 minutes later, it was gone.

Earlier that day, for the last 45 minutes of the 2 hour drive to that Supercharger, the image of my car and its surroundings was stuck and unchanging. It showed my car driving very close tot the center line, with a "ghost car" image of a truck in front of it. And that didn't change for 45 minutes, regardless of where my car was in the lane or whether or not there were any vehicles around me on the road. I tried specifically driving my car slightly over the center or curb-side lines (safely, of course), but it didn't move. I didn't show any other "ghost car" images when other vehicles drove around me on the highway. It didn't affect my use of adaptive cruise control, and after my charging session (see above), it was back to normal for the rest of the trip.

Weird. Any ideas?

Try restarting MCU. Press in both steering wheel scroll wheels until screen goes black, then release them. It will take about a minute until the Tesla icon appears. Full restart takes a bit longer. You’ll hear the air conditioning turn off, then on.

Like restarting any computer or persuading a cranky toddler to nap, this gets components back in step and eliminates inconsistencies and loose ends.