Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SPINOFF: Did you test drive a Tesla before buying yours?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, my parents test drove a model S a few years ago, Tesla even let them have it for a long weekend if I recall correctly.

They did not buy it as getting in and out was difficult for my mother, who had back issues. My father ended up getting an S later on and since has moved to an X for easier ingress/egress.

I have a question for you. If you were to drive to people interested in test-drives, what would motivate you to do so or discourage you in doing so? I will explain when after your answer. Thanks!
I rented a car on Turo for 2 days “back in the day”. Wanted to make sure it fit the family etc. so, spent maybe $200 on that…

I’ve made two referrals but Tesla disappeared them and I never got anything.

Wouldn’t do anything anymore. My car is in service almost monthly now. They screwed the pooch. Several ways…

Makes me wonder if a test drive has ever turned someone AWAY from wanting a Tesla - as in, they wanted one but after test driving one they changed their mind and didn't move forward.
Test driving a Model X when it first came out, turned me away from wanting it, even though I was waiting for it a long time. Falcon doors were super slow and failed a couple of times during the test drive. On the other hand, I only bought the first Model S because I was bored waiting for the X, so test drove it, and ordered it same day. So it cuts both ways. I suspect the square steering wheel with no blinker stalks and and touch screen gear shifting would turn me off in the current version too (perhaps because after owning a few Model S I know the touch screen to be not the most reliable part).

Test driving a Model X when it first came out, turned me away from wanting it, even though I was waiting for it a long time. Falcon doors were super slow and failed a couple of times during the test drive. On the other hand, I only bought the first Model S because I was bored waiting for the X, so test drove it, and ordered it same day. So it cuts both ways. I suspect the square steering wheel with no blinker stalks and and touch screen gear shifting would turn me off in the current version too (perhaps because after owning a few Model S I know the touch screen to be not the most reliable part).
That’s pretty funny. I was very excited to get a test drive when the MX came out and the falcon doors failed to close for me too. Kids still adore it but doubt we will ever buy one.

I suspect the square steering wheel with no blinker stalks and and touch screen gear shifting would turn me off in the current version too (perhaps because after owning a few Model S I know the touch screen to be not the most reliable part).
Same here, even with a normal steering wheel option the removal of the real gear selector (I guess we can call it that) and no blinker stalks made me lose interest pretty quick. As it is the touchscreen with nearly all vehicle controls through it is a step backwards in functionality while driving.
Auto Wipers beta.....says it all about Tesla solving problems via software, hello auto gear selector!

Reactions: brucet999