Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SPINOFF: Did you test drive a Tesla before buying yours?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Makes me wonder if a test drive has ever turned someone AWAY from wanting a Tesla - as in, they wanted one but after test driving one they changed their mind and didn't move forward.
I would be interested to find and talk to such a unicorn. Maybe the turn radius would be a let down? Stiff ride on 45PSI tires on Model 3?

Yes. I did a take home test drive on Model 3 over a weekend. It made me do a 180 on buying the car immediately while the full tax Incentive was available. We have a 15 year old Infiniti G35 with under 100k miles, but driving Model 3 makes transportation easy, safe, and cheap on fuel. Maybe I'm getting old, but for me, full self driving can't come soon enough. Model 3 is a huge leap in the right direction. After the test drive, I had to have one.

A co-worker of mine was one of the true early adopters, getting his Model S in 2012 after having been on the initial waiting list for at least a year. I had ridden as a passenger in his car on various occasions in 2013, and it was undeniably awesome. But I was very much on the fence about buying one myself. I wasn't a performance-supercar kind of guy, and it felt like a lot of money to gamble at a time when there were real concerns expressed about Tesla's long-term viability. Then, in the spring of 2014, I had an opportunity to go on a factory tour, at the end of which we were offered test drives. That test drive absolutely sold me on the car. It completely sealed the deal. At the time, I had been leaning in the direction of an Audi, but once I drove the Model S, there was no going back, and I ended up placing my order within weeks.

So I think there is definitely value in test driving a Tesla, as it can make the decision very easy for you. :)

I had a terrible sales experience with the inexperienced staff at the local mall location. Ended up renting a MS on Turo for a two day test drive, then bought.

This move makes me wonder a bit if it’s really about online sales, or recognition that the inexperienced / low wage sales staff they had weren’t adding sufficient value.

I tested a MX for an hour the first time, but argued tha I needed more time to verify if it would fit in my parking spot, how the FWD would behave in my underground parking garage or even when going to the supermarket.

I wanted to see what it was like to drive to my office and what the real consumption was.

All of these were real concerns holding me back. So they gave me a MX for a weekend and this is what finally pushed me over the edge.

Actually a lot harder to answer this as a yes or no question for me. I assume the OP was thinking new Teslas only, but was a used car from a third party dealer for me. Did we take it around the block first before I signed the paperwork? yes. But was it a "test drive"? I would say no, as I already decided that I was buying the car.

Normal procedure is to drive a used vehicle before purchase, I did not request it it is just what the salesperson did. He was just anxious to show me how fast the thing went from a standstill. I just had to go through the motions in order to negotiate the deal. If I showed my cards and said I don't want to drive it I would just buy it, how much would they inclined to negotiate?

Reactions: GeoX750
Was reading the thread about how Tesla may fail as a company by going online sales only and got to thinking about my personal situation.

I did go to the Tesla store and I did set up a test drive, but thinking back that was more for just the experience and not having the patience to to wait until I could drive my own car. I had already done the research and was already very excited to be buying a Tesla that doing the test drive really had no impact on my decision to buy one.

Makes me wonder if a test drive has ever turned someone AWAY from wanting a Tesla - as in, they wanted one but after test driving one they changed their mind and didn't move forward.
Can u make this a poll?
I didn’t test drive at the sales center, I did drive my friends S before buying. My dad and sister also didn’t test drive the model 3, they did drive my model S

I drove from Oklahoma to Queens, NY to check out a used CPO Model S. Had the bank draft in hand to buy if it was acceptable. The car was in beautiful condition and he asked if I wanted to drive it. I said "no I'll just ride" because traffic is nuts in NYC lol. He insisted I drive it so I did. I had already made up my mind before driving that I wanted the car. Driving it just affirmed the decision to buy it.

We knew we wanted to Purchase the S last year but the test drive sealed the deal. If it wasn't for the store front, i would have purchased a used model from a 3rd party and would have never known for a couple K more we could get the new model S75. Prices dropped, RWD only made it cheaper ect. ect. I'm sure things are different now where someone knows someone that has a tesla where you could get a test ride if you are a potential buyer. I also remember 10yrs ago I rented an Alero and fell in love with it and it was my next car. So, maybe the stores closing won't affect sales now that they are becoming more of a main stream automobile.

No. I had never even sat in a Tesla before my CPO S was delivered to the remote small town nearest where I live (300 miles from the service center).

I had sold my other cars by then so I got a neighbor to take me down to town to pick up my car. I had read the manual and watched videos online, so I knew how to drive it. I looked over the car for problems, signed the delivery truck driver's pad, was given the key fobs and drove the car home.

Not a typical purchase and delivery experience, I suppose. However, I had been driving an EV for more than four years by then, so it wasn't much of a shift from what I was used to.

No. I had never even sat in a Tesla before my CPO S was delivered to the remote small town nearest where I live (300 miles from the service center).

I had sold my other cars by then so I got a neighbor to take me down to town to pick up my car. I had read the manual and watched videos online, so I knew how to drive it. I looked over the car for problems, signed the delivery truck driver's pad, was given the key fobs and drove the car home.

Not a typical purchase and delivery experience, I suppose. However, I had been driving an EV for more than four years by then, so it wasn't much of a shift from what I was used to.
Mine was exactly like yours.