Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Split in Seat Seam (2nd row, middle seat) - Anyone Else Have This?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have the ultra-white seats - when showing how the second row seats move forward, someone noticed how there was a split in the seam area on the middle seat. Seems to be there on both sides around the same location.

Does anyone else have this? You have to offset the outer seats from the middle to see it. The first pic is on the left side of the seat - the second is on the right side of the seat.

I'm taking the car into a SC later this month to fix a FWD misalignment. I think these splits shouldn't be there and should be fixed, but just wanted to check with others to see if this is the norm or not.

IMG_3148.JPG
IMG_3149.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: ssq
We have the ultra-white seats - when showing how the second row seats move forward, someone noticed how there was a split in the seam area on the middle seat. Seems to be there on both sides around the same location.

Does anyone else have this? You have to offset the outer seats from the middle to see it. The first pic is on the left side of the seat - the second is on the right side of the seat.

I'm taking the car into a SC later this month to fix a FWD misalignment. I think these splits shouldn't be there and should be fixed, but just wanted to check with others to see if this is the norm or not.

View attachment 175387 View attachment 175388

I have the same issue. I didn't bring it up to the SC because all my seats seem to have it so I thought it is one of the shoddy bits in the car. I will be taking mine to the SC next week and will ask about it. After the outcome of my last SC visit my gut tells me this is going to be just one more of the issues that is 'within specifications' :s will keep you posted though ;)

I have the same issue. I didn't bring it up to the SC because all my seats seem to have it so I thought it is one of the shoddy bits in the car. I will be taking mine to the SC next week and will ask about it. After the outcome of my last SC visit my gut tells me this is going to be just one more of the issues that is 'within specifications' :s will keep you posted though ;)

I doubt that it will be 'within specifications' for a $130K car ...

Are they really splits or is it just the inner material inadvertently got sewn between in the seam? Hard to really tell.

OK, good question, and I have to revise my initial comments. It's not really a split seam. Those two sections are not sewn or fastened together at all.

I can stick a finger into that gap the whole length of that section and separate the two sections/cushions. I think it's supposed to be that way. The reason why there's a visible gap is that there's an inner frame that the "leather" wraps around near the headrest section on the back part of the seat. This adds some rigidity on the back part of the seat in that section. So it doesn't "puff" forward to meet the front part/cushion of the seat.

Below the frame, it's just cushion in the back too. So it "puffs" forward enough to meet the cushion on front part of the seat. I don't know if that makes sense.

So I'm thinking, esp since that section is typically hidden when all the seats are aligned (which they are typically), you can't even see it. I don't think I'll ask for anything to be done about it.