TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Split-screen view map+rearview camera?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by xpertus, Aug 23, 2018.

1. xpertus

xpertus New Member

It would be great if the Model 3 would give us the option to watch the map, while having a view of the rearview camera.

• Like x 2
  2. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

3. BOBEDIGITL

BOBEDIGITL Member

Hopefully it'll come in a later update

4. 240W

240W Member

or access the camera that's on the fender which is pointing to our blindspot
    maybe even the window pillar camera for parking in tight spaces for those without auto parking feature

5. HelloJohnny

HelloJohnny Member

+1 I would love this feature as well, I usually drive with the rear camera on since it's easier to see my blindspot (I also have my mirrors set to not have any blindspots) but it's good to see who's behind you since the visibility of the rear view window isn't pretty good.

My ideal location to display of the rear camera is right under the car display where the camera button / charge / windshield wiper area would be.

6. Msjulie

Msjulie Active Member

Small 'windows' on the map screen for the B pillar cameras would be cool - but Tesla probably won't let us use them when they're supposed to be for AP right? :(

7. bradhs

bradhs Member

I'm hoping for this too.

8. 127.0.0.0

127.0.0.0 Member

I really am hoping for this one Because it is so annoying to keep the camera on and not have the maps view Please Make it happen

9. wbhokie

wbhokie Member

Split screen in general. Not just for camera, but for things like media too. I know it doesn't have the vertical space that the Model S and X do, but filling the whole screen is just annoying, especially when you know it's only a small software change.

10. plasmo

plasmo Member

Agree. I like to drive with rear view on at all times, which basically replaces my rear view mirror.
    I think better use of real estate could be made in future updates... the left side traffic graphic could be smaller which would make some more room

11. 127.0.0.0

127.0.0.0 Member

I agree Splitscreen In general is much needed in Model 3, Specially because the rear view mirror being small compare to S and X so Yet another BIG reason we need this in Model 3.

12. wdolson

wdolson Supporting Member

There are also cameras in the front fenders pointing back. It's in the Tesla badge. They changed that with AP2.

I know some of the cameras produce images that a human would find difficult to figure out (like extreme wide angle). I don't know what the image the pillar cameras produce, but I suspect one of the pair of side cameras is intended for mirror replacement when regulators approve removing the side mirrors. Though I think what would be ideal for outside mirror replacement screens would be small screens inside the door.

13. PACE Car

PACE Car New Member

I use the camera as my rear view mirror since visibility is not good. I need to have it on the top of the screen.

14. SpudLime

SpudLime Member

Have you tried adjusting your mirrors properly?

15. brobinson

brobinson Member

I think there is a lot of general improvement that can be done over time with the use of space in the UI. Tesla has more critical software stuff to worry about right now, but heres a list of stuff I'd like to see in the future:

- Split screen or some way to see the map and camera at the same time
    - 'Smaller' versions of apps other then music. For example, the energy app in V9 could very easily be a small pane at the bottom of the screen that shows the graph, without taking up the entire display
    - More use of the 'cards' under the vehicle display. There is a lot of underutilized space here
    - Give an option to not make the music pane persistent. I don't want it to be totally hidden, but have it pop up for a few seconds when the track changes and then go away again.

16. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

Floating apps like what's on Android phones is the way to go. I don't need everything to be full screen.