Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Split-screen view map+rearview camera?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
+1 I would love this feature as well, I usually drive with the rear camera on since it's easier to see my blindspot (I also have my mirrors set to not have any blindspots) but it's good to see who's behind you since the visibility of the rear view window isn't pretty good.

My ideal location to display of the rear camera is right under the car display where the camera button / charge / windshield wiper area would be.

Split screen in general. Not just for camera, but for things like media too. I know it doesn't have the vertical space that the Model S and X do, but filling the whole screen is just annoying, especially when you know it's only a small software change.

Agree. I like to drive with rear view on at all times, which basically replaces my rear view mirror.
I think better use of real estate could be made in future updates... the left side traffic graphic could be smaller which would make some more room

Small 'windows' on the map screen for the B pillar cameras would be cool - but Tesla probably won't let us use them when they're supposed to be for AP right? :(

There are also cameras in the front fenders pointing back. It's in the Tesla badge. They changed that with AP2.

I know some of the cameras produce images that a human would find difficult to figure out (like extreme wide angle). I don't know what the image the pillar cameras produce, but I suspect one of the pair of side cameras is intended for mirror replacement when regulators approve removing the side mirrors. Though I think what would be ideal for outside mirror replacement screens would be small screens inside the door.

I think there is a lot of general improvement that can be done over time with the use of space in the UI. Tesla has more critical software stuff to worry about right now, but heres a list of stuff I'd like to see in the future:

- Split screen or some way to see the map and camera at the same time
- 'Smaller' versions of apps other then music. For example, the energy app in V9 could very easily be a small pane at the bottom of the screen that shows the graph, without taking up the entire display
- More use of the 'cards' under the vehicle display. There is a lot of underutilized space here
- Give an option to not make the music pane persistent. I don't want it to be totally hidden, but have it pop up for a few seconds when the track changes and then go away again.

I think there is a lot of general improvement that can be done over time with the use of space in the UI. Tesla has more critical software stuff to worry about right now, but heres a list of stuff I'd like to see in the future:

- Split screen or some way to see the map and camera at the same time
- 'Smaller' versions of apps other then music. For example, the energy app in V9 could very easily be a small pane at the bottom of the screen that shows the graph, without taking up the entire display
- More use of the 'cards' under the vehicle display. There is a lot of underutilized space here
- Give an option to not make the music pane persistent. I don't want it to be totally hidden, but have it pop up for a few seconds when the track changes and then go away again.
Floating apps like what's on Android phones is the way to go. I don't need everything to be full screen.