Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Split UMC cable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's the picture. Like the car itself, I baby everything related to my Model S. Can't remember ever mistreating that cable. Anyone seen anything like it?
22678e27f9417350b5b9253fa04a9ad5.jpg

It does but then again, not sure how or when it would have happened. I was at cottage in the middle of the woods. Unlikely someone stopped by and decided to vandalize my cable. Plus, when you look at it closely, it is a very clean split. A cutter would have made a larger incision at the entry point. And it doesn't look like the wire itself was touched. It would take somebody very skilled to just open up the insulation. I wonder, could it be the cold weather? The rubber hardened and cracked up, especially with heat running through it?

Looks like a box cutter gash. It looks like it's just the outer insulation, but I would get it replaced. Electrical tape should be fine, temporarily.
Thats what happens when poor/low quality "rubber" fatigues. That is not box cutter. I deal with this all the time on Chinese scooters I repair. Its not real rubber, it's a petroleum base, or basically, more malleable. Most likely, the plastic/fake rubber was not hot enough when it was extruded. Also, more likely to happen in cold weather. And by the looks of it, OP is in Canada.

Thats what happens when poor/low quality "rubber" fatigues. That is not box cutter. I deal with this all the time on Chinese scooters I repair. Its not real rubber, it's a petroleum base, or basically, more malleable. Most likely, the plastic/fake rubber was not hot enough when it was extruded. Also, more likely to happen in cold weather. And by the looks of it, OP is in Canada.

Yep, am in Canada. Plus I was at a cottage in the mountains. Coldest night so far this Fall.

Yep, am in Canada. Plus I was at a cottage in the mountains. Coldest night so far this Fall.
Yep, that stuff is extremely pliable at warm temps, once it gets cold... Lets put it this way, had a floor mat from a Chinese scooter. At 10*F outside, I was able to toss it in the air and it shattered when it hit ground. I hope whats on the UMC isn't that poor of quality though.

So I called support who directed me to my local SC. Stopped by Thursday and they swapped my UMC for a new one. Said first time they saw that. As usual, super easy and friendly staff. Was all effortless!

Hadn't tried the new UMC until today and I'm afraid I must be not doing something. I plug it in. Green light is on but the button won't open the charge port. Opened manually and plugged in, ring stays white, plug doesn't lock in and UMC doesn't charge. Tried Reset several times to no avail. Also tried both 5-15 and 14-50 adapters and sources.

Meanwhile car charges fine using my HPWC.

Is there a pairing process with a new UMC that I somehow missed?

So I called support who directed me to my local SC. Stopped by Thursday and they swapped my UMC for a new one. Said first time they saw that. As usual, super easy and friendly staff. Was all effortless!

Hadn't tried the new UMC until today and I'm afraid I must be not doing something. I plug it in. Green light is on but the button won't open the charge port. Opened manually and plugged in, ring stays white, plug doesn't lock in and UMC doesn't charge. Tried Reset several times to no avail. Also tried both 5-15 and 14-50 adapters and sources.

Meanwhile car charges fine using my HPWC.

Is there a pairing process with a new UMC that I somehow missed?
No, another defective UMC.

There is really nothing I need to do to 'pair' a new UMC?

The UMC is just a J1772 charger with a custom connector. J1772 is a pretty simple protocol, basically just different resistors and duty cycles on the control pins to tell the car how much current it can draw, and for the car to tell the charger when it wants power. There's nothing in there to communicate a car or charger identifier.

In short, no pairing process, it should just work when plugged in.