Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Splitter Cable for both USB Dashcam and Charge Phone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm
Reading the production description for Onvian USB Splitter Cable

It seems the one with the red notch is charge only, and doesn't provide sufficient charge for iOS devices. The other cable that doesn't have any red notch will work for charging and data.

Based on this, I don't think this cable will work. What the OP (and me) need is something that will have Data on one of the cables and enough charge for iOS device on the other.
Yup. I pretty much get the feeling that you just can't power a USB flash drive and AND charge an iPhone from the same front port.

I'm

Yup. I pretty much get the feeling that you just can't power a USB flash drive and AND charge an iPhone from the same front port.

Not true. I had one of these lying around and plugged it into my front right port, then plugged a lightning cable into the hub along with a USB stick. It seems to charge without issue, though I would imagine it will charge approximately 10-20% slower due to the power being used by the hub and stick.

You just can't use one of those splitter cables because they only pass power, not data to one end of the split. Pretty much every modern USB device seems to require some sort of data connection to charge. A proper hub solves this problem.

Not true. I had one of these lying around and plugged it into my front right port, then plugged a lightning cable into the hub along with a USB stick. It seems to charge without issue, though I would imagine it will charge approximately 10-20% slower due to the power being used by the hub and stick.
That’s curious because both the product listing and some of the the comments say that you can’t charge connected devices with this hub.

That’s curious because both the product listing and some of the the comments say that you can’t charge connected devices with this hub.

I only did a quick test, but it does seem to charge. I'll keep an eye on it and see how it goes.

My assumption on why they say that would be that there's not enough power to charge more than one device or it might be too slow to charge some devices.

You just can't use one of those splitter cables because they only pass power, not data to one end of the split. Pretty much every modern USB device seems to require some sort of data connection to charge. A proper hub solves this problem.
At $7 I'm going to give it a shot. If it doesn't work, I can always use this elsewhere.

Onvian splitter working fine for me on the right side where I have a partitioned thumb drive for cam and music, and Nomad plugged into other end for charging. When I rest my iPhone on right side of Nomad, it charges. Haven't bothered to check the rate it charges at but it charges.

Onvian splitter working fine for me on the right side where I have a partitioned thumb drive for cam and music, and Nomad plugged into other end for charging. When I rest my iPhone on right side of Nomad, it charges. Haven't bothered to check the rate it charges at but it charges.
Thanks! I think where we are right now is that no one knows for sure if you can use a splitter to charge an iPhone via plug (not wireless) and for the dash cam. Waiting to see if anyone has that solution working.

(I'm also dealing with the corruption issue now. Yay.)

Well mine is black plastic but looks just like it - it does charge, I wonder why it says it will not. Weird for sure..
I was unsuccessful with the Y cable. I purchased the silver hub from Amazon you suggested. Even though the box states not for charging I can confirm that I installed it and successfully charged my iPhoneX and was still able to run the dash cam with a slim 64GB flash also plugged into the hub.

Reactions: Msjulie
Sorry if I'm a little late to the party, but I am using a NOMAD wireless charge pad and a flash drive for dashcam using a Y cable and it seems to be working reliably for me. Originally I tried just unplugging the second USB cable for the charge pad but that didn't work (if the phone was already charging when I unplugged the cable it would keep charging, but if it was unplugged when I put the phone on the pad it wouldn't start charging).

This is the cable I purchased from Amazon: http://a.co/d/iK00zTs

I connected the charge-only cable (the one with the red marker) to the second NOMAD cable, and plugged my flash drive into the power + data cable. The Y cable is plugged into the the right-side USB port. My iPhone Xs will start charging when I place it on the pad as normal, and the dashcam seems to be working normal. The icon is always showing on my display and when I pulled it out to check I saw new footage on there.

I don't know how to confirm the charge rate of the phone, and I haven't tested it with two phones charging at once, but for just me it seems to be working correctly.

I haven’t received my Nomad yet but the Onvian splitter works for charging a Pixel and connecting the USB stick for the dashcam in my Model 3. If that’s the case, I can’t understand why it wouldn’t provide any kind of power to Nomad. I get a direct connection to iPhone wouldn’t work but I would suspect Nomad doesn’t care. It just wants power which it then relays to the pads and battery, no?