Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Splitting a nema 10-30 outlet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys, long story short I take delivery on Wednesday and have been putting off the electrical work (stupid me) until now. I have gotten several estimated an they are all $1500+ which is more then I am hoping to spend currently. I have an electric dryer that I plan on getting rid of in the next year-ish so I'm hoping to find a temporary solution until then (assuming I can then have an electrician easily switch that to a 14-50 port and be done). I only run the dryer during the day and plan on only charging in the middle of the night especially because my commute is only 15 miles roundtrip (occasionally have to drive farther). Has anyone seen this? Thoughts on utilizing this with the mobile connector?

Dryer Buddy™ #4 30A 240v Splitter, 5ft. cable NEMA 10-30 plug, one 10-30 outlet, one 14-50 outlet with optional kWh/Watt/Volt/Amp meter

Hey guys, long story short I take delivery on Wednesday and have been putting off the electrical work (stupid me) until now. I have gotten several estimated an they are all $1500+ which is more then I am hoping to spend currently. I have an electric dryer that I plan on getting rid of in the next year-ish so I'm hoping to find a temporary solution until then (assuming I can then have an electrician easily switch that to a 14-50 port and be done). I only run the dryer during the day and plan on only charging in the middle of the night especially because my commute is only 15 miles roundtrip (occasionally have to drive farther). Has anyone seen this? Thoughts on utilizing this with the mobile connector?

Dryer Buddy™ #4 30A 240v Splitter, 5ft. cable NEMA 10-30 plug, one 10-30 outlet, one 14-50 outlet with optional kWh/Watt/Volt/Amp meter

The size of the existing wiring needs to be checked before increasing the outlet rating. And a 10-30 doesn’t have a neutral as required by a 14-50. So a 14-50 would not be up to code.

I know of a few people that use the dryer buddy. I’d be careful with the 14-50 outlet. The circuit is still 30a and the car should be set to 24a.

You can get a 14-30 evse adaptor from Tesla and cut off the neutral. It will fit in a 14-50 and limit the current to 24a.

• Informative
Reactions: goto10
My understanding of this is very limited but now that I think about it couldn't I just get a nema 10-30 splitter and then purchase from tesla the 10-30 adapter to mobile charger? Would that be to code? I don't have an issue with charging slowly for now but definitely don't want to start an electrical fire somehow or damage my car.

Reactions: dhrivnak
My understanding of this is very limited but now that I think about it couldn't I just get a nema 10-30 splitter and then purchase from tesla the 10-30 adapter to mobile charger? Would that be to code? I don't have an issue with charging slowly for now but definitely don't want to start an electrical fire somehow or damage my car.
This is probably what I would do in your situation if I wanted to spend as little as possible on a temporary solution. I just wouldn't run the dryer and charge the car at the same time.

Will never be to code to plug your EV into a socket also servicing an electric dryer.
You can have one or the other, but the possibility for both of them to draw at the same time is going to be a problem.

You will be able to write off 30% of your EV charging installation costs, so net to you will be only $1,000.

EV draws a lot of juice, and is used often, so getting something done right is the way to go.

You will still need to consult with an electrician to see how much current your dryer outlet can safely provide.

All in, your cost savings will not be all that great. and you will still be covered by your homeowners insurance if you do it right.

If you are only driving 15 miles/day, the least expensive option might be to just use your 110v outlet to keep charged up. Use the cord and adapter from your Tesla.

Reactions: mswlogo
Yes that should work fine. Worst case you run both and trip the breaker.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
Yes, it would be much safer.

You still need to be sure to not run both at once.

With your driving, this would easily support the charging requirements.

Heck, you could support your planned usage on a standard wall outlet.

OP, i recommend you minimize customizations here and use the Nema 10-30 adapter provided by Tesla. It only costs $35 and takes about a week to come.

I am in the same situation as you and have à Nema 10-30. Because the Nema 10-30 adapter was not delivered to my house (delivery exception) i went the custom route of using a Nema 14-50 to Nema 10-30 adapter which I ordered from Amazon prime.

I doubt my setup was the problem but to summarize everything worked fine for about 15 minutes and then everything stopped working (breaker did not trip). I have an electrician coming to look into this on Monday.

I suspect the house I live in is the problem, not my setup, but my recommendation is keep it as simple as possible and use the adapter from Tesla.

Your idea to convert à Nema 10-30 into à Nema 14-50 seems to be a terrible idea IMO. Regardless of how you set up the Amp in your car if anything happens it's not going to look good.

@Sean Kelly,

Once you get rid of your electric dryer, you can use Tesla's UMC adapter for your dryer plug. Check to see if you have the newer 14-30 outlet or the older 10-30 and buy the adapter from Tesla. Your 30 A dryer will charge your car at 24 A (80% of 30 A is max allowed). This will be plenty fast for just about anyone's needs, and overkill for your commute.

In the meantime, 120 V charging likely will work for your driving. You could always unplug the dryer and use your UMC adapter (why not get it now?) if you had an unexpected need for faster charging. If you have a 20 A 120 V outlet, Tesla sells a 5-20 UMC adapter that allows the car to charge at 16 A. This can be noticeably faster than the 5-15 adapter that comes with the car, which charges at 12 A.

The dryer buddy is a good solution, but I would see if they offer one with two 30 A outlets, instead of the 14-50 in the model you linked. With the 14-50 outlet, the car will draw 32 A if you do not manually reduce it to 24 A on the car's touchscreen. Of course you will do that, but in the past there have been software glitches that cause the car to forget. If you use Tesla's 14-30 or 10-30 UMC adapter, the UMC will constantly signal to the car to not exceed 24 A.

Good Luck with your charging, and enjoy your 3!

GSP

Here is a link to Tesla's adapters. Select 14-30, 10-30, 5-20 etc. from the pull down menu to see what the plug looks like. That way you can figure out which one matches you outlet.

Model S/X/3 Gen 2 NEMA Adapters

Last edited:
I might be running off my dryer outlet with a 50 to 75 foot extension cord once I get my driveway built in the backyard later this summer. My dryer outlet is a 14-30 on new 10 gauge wire, I helped install it 6 months ago. I already figured out how I could route the extension cord out the dryer exhaust pipe to get it through the basement wall with no new holes, and it'll be long enough to get to the car then.

Until then, a 15 foot 14-50 extension cord from the kitchen oven (I planned its outlet location with my upcoming Tesla in mind) will be enough to charge the car when I get it, in what will be its initial parking spot.

Man. This is yet another thread that has me grateful I have an awesome electrician as a stepson that gave me a shopping list for the local electric store and Home Depot to only burn $50 so he could put in a 14-50 from scratch in my old panel that had issues. He did it for free but rightfully got a Home Depot gift card and the promise of a future dinner from me for his considerable travel and trouble.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and dhrivnak
i relocated my dryer 10-30 socket to the garage by rerouting it thru the attic (house had both gas/electric hookups and not using electric dryer socket). I found upon exploration it was actually wired with 10/3 plus ground (4 wires) and confirmed ground was indeed grounded (but just left hanging free in the box) using a multimeter. when the socket was extended to the garage I changed it to 14-30 modern outlet. Still 24 amps and using tesla 14-30 adapter so no worry about needing to dial anything down. You would not be able to make it a 14-50 without a new wiring run with thicker gauge wire from the box. If I get a house remodel I will consider it. But I get 17 mi/hr at 24 amps which is plenty for me to charge the car overnight.

Seems OP might want to go with this one: Dryer Buddy™ #1 30A 240v Splitter 5ft. cable NEMA 10-30(before 1996) with optional meter and then just a get a tesla 10-30 adapter so there's no concerns of having to manually dial down amps.

Im waiting for my dryer buddy to be delivered. Im in the OPs situation. I purchased the 10-30 adapter from Tesla which safley only draws 24 amps max automatically. I got the automatic version of the dryer buddy Wich automatically cuts all power to the Tesla as soon as the dryer starts and then restores power again once the dryer cycle stops.