Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Splitting a nema 10-30 outlet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They would need to be disconnected from the circuit.

thanks. Will double check but Looks like the attached one is by itself for the softener and the others are GFI. Hope the breaker box is labelled well.

IMG_20190121_183640886.jpg

what about something like this https://www.amazon.com/Parkworld-88..._7?keywords=DRYER+BUDDY&qid=1548111690&sr=8-7

or

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075VKM9NQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2LVRXQF5INH4F&psc=1

I have attached my breaker box photo which shows 60 AMPs on the dryer+ I'll set it to charge in the middle of the night when dryer is not being used. Is that safe?
I have that exact 10-30 Parkworld splitter from Amazon and have been using it for three months with no issues.

The build is actually very good quality and robust.

I'm using a Parkworld splitter... My dryer outlet is 30 amp circuit...I set my Tesla to charge at 24 amp... Works fine... Just have to make sure that I only use the charger or dryer and not both at the same time... Generally not an issue since I only do laundry during the day and charge occasionally at night. In northern Virginia, I was getting quotes of $1500 to install a 14-50 NEMA outlet... Tesla Tax..

I'm using a Parkworld splitter... My dryer outlet is 30 amp circuit...I set my Tesla to charge at 24 amp... Works fine... Just have to make sure that I only use the charger or dryer and not both at the same time... Generally not an issue since I only do laundry during the day and charge occasionally at night. In northern Virginia, I was getting quotes of $1500 to install a 14-50 NEMA outlet... Tesla Tax..

I'm considering this $70 Parkworld splitter as well. Was looking at the Dryerbuddy but honestly don't think I need all of that. I know when I use my dryer and when I charge my car... and will make 100% certain I never accidentally do both at the same time. Basically, just charge the car from midnight to 8am (no one runs the dryer during those times right? haha)

As long as you are 100% sure you will never run both the dryer and car charger at the same time, I don't see anything wrong with the Parkworld splitter. (assuming you have the Tesla 10-30 adapter as well)

Reactions: Parkjhmd
I'm considering this $70 Parkworld splitter as well. Was looking at the Dryerbuddy but honestly don't think I need all of that. I know when I use my dryer and when I charge my car... and will make 100% certain I never accidentally do both at the same time. Basically, just charge the car from midnight to 8am (no one runs the dryer during those times right? haha)

As long as you are 100% sure you will never run both the dryer and car charger at the same time, I don't see anything wrong with the Parkworld splitter. (assuming you have the Tesla 10-30 adapter as well)
I've been using the 14-50 adapter with no issues...

Not recommended. The dryer outlet is very likely not mechanically designed to have things plugged and unplugged a lot, and will wear out quickly. That will lead to hot contacts, melted things, or worse.

I've been swapping them out for 4 months without issue and the outlet is just as robust as it was before - nothing has come loose whatsoever. I also use a 10-30 extension cord since I have to park outside the garage.

I might be running off my dryer outlet with a 50 to 75 foot extension cord once I get my driveway built in the backyard later this summer.

I wouldn't go beyond 50 feet. This is also mentioned by Tesla somewhere official either on their site or in the user manual.

I've been swapping them out for 4 months without issue and the outlet is just as robust as it was before - nothing has come loose whatsoever. I also use a 10-30 extension cord since I have to park outside the garage.

I wouldn't go beyond 50 feet. This is also mentioned by Tesla somewhere official either on their site or in the user manual.

"nothing has come loose" may be true externally.... but who knows internally. That'd be my main concern with unplugging and re-plugging something like a 10-30 outlet over time.

Man. This is yet another thread that has me grateful I have an awesome electrician as a stepson that gave me a shopping list for the local electric store and Home Depot to only burn $50 so he could put in a 14-50 from scratch in my old panel that had issues. He did it for free but rightfully got a Home Depot gift card and the promise of a future dinner from me for his considerable travel and trouble.
You can’t buy 50’ of #10/4 romex for $50, not sure what #6/4 would even cost...

Last edited:

Reason is voltage drop...as current goes up, so does voltage drop increase, length exacerbates this drop, your app will tell you what current and voltage your drawing during charging...

or just unplug the dryer manually and plug the tesla in. and vice-versa. Sure its not a long-term solution but it will get you by for a bit? Seems a shame to lose out on the 18 mi/hr a 10-30 can provide and just get the official 10-30 adapter too so there's no worry
Warning keep your fingers cleat of the blades if you attempt this method (not recommended), another reason to have your life protected by a service switch, you can turn off, when pushing that big 240 volt plug in,

Warning keep your fingers cleat of the blades if you attempt this method (not recommended), another reason to have your life protected by a service switch, you can turn off, when pushing that big 240 volt plug in,

Yeah... an electrician was telling me if you slip up during this unplugging and plugging, it can be fatal.... and he was not joking or trying to scare me. Kinda felt like he had seen some shi* before...