Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spoiled DOGS... How to keep them in the back... 5 seater...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While hardly anyone obeys it, the law where I am (and presumably in other areas as well) requires that pets be held in secured cages or with a special harness that plugs into a seat belt receptacle. This is not so much to protect the dog, but to prevent humans from being hurt or killed by a flying dog in the event of an accident. (probably would help the dog too, just like seat belts help human passengers).
I'm not sure of the law here (California) but my son and daughter in law want me to tether my grand-dog when I am taking him to Flyball (Google it). He has a harness just for car rides. We have a swivel snap hook that hooks on the harness and to a carabiner on a seat belt strap. He has plenty of freedom of movement. (He's also spoiled: he has a big Kong dog bed on the car seat for his riding comfort.) He does like to stand with his front paws on the center console now and then but he can't really jump into the front seat. He's only a 30 pounder.

Reactions: mknox
It's a Heininger 3048 Portable pet partition. I had to cut the tubes an inch and then re-drill the stopper holes. However, I don't use it much anymore as I tend to find the Bonawen Pet Cover works better for my needs and is easier to install/remove (and it doesn't leave marks in the soft headliner for a few days after removal).
Do you find the dog or dogs stay behind the bonawen pet cover and not jump over. I will have the 6 seater with console.

Do you find the dog or dogs stay behind the bonawen pet cover and not jump over. I will have the 6 seater with console.
Sorry, I don't own any dogs. I use this to keep the trunk area clean and prevent things from flying forward during hard braking.

However, the bonwen pet cover does go up pretty high. It reaches the bottom of the head rest in the 2nd row seats (I have a 6-seater) so I think it would do a good job of keeping pets in the trunk area.

I have a Berner and she loves to be in the car but the new X i am getting i like your set up can you provide more pictures, especially regarding how much you modified the pole and what padding you used to adhere. This would only be used for trips with dog. Normally not installed

Been so long since we modified it. We cut down the vertical bar to roughly 21" and horizontal bars to around 31" so that they more easily fit the height and have just enough width to overlap the back of the second row seats. In terms of padding, we just have a folded up piece of cloth called duvetyne. It's used in our business (film), but I think you can buy it online. The "dog gate" stays up almost all the time unless we are planning to take more than two other passengers and the padding seems to not leave a mark on the roof.

My seats are the black leather (no longer available). The pet cover uses nylon straps that go around the head resets. I haven't noticed any wear on the seats...I'll check again later today.
Here is a photo of the pet cover...

6AiHfeP.jpg

xO6rJNj.jpg