Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Spoiler Alert + Mild Speculation] Tesla has created a monster!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TEG's post on the Monroney stickers for the 3 prompted me to dig around for them. Unfortunately, I came up short in that search, but I found something just as good, maybe even better.

Long story short, Tesla built a monster with the 3! It can put down 258hp, gets 126mpge (confirmed via the picture in TEG's thread), has *roughly 78kWh of usable capacity (80.5kWh rated), and *possibly has 346 miles of city range (1.36x the Bolt's measured city range), and 316 miles of highway range (1.46x the Bolt's measured highway range)! At only $7k+ more than the Bolt, that's kinda brilliant. :eek:

I've attached the test data with the figures from Tesla as well as the same reports for the Bolt and Ioniq. Obviously, these aren't the final figures, YMMV, and so on. But... what I'm seeing here is better than Tesla's putting out there, assuming the CSI submission is accurate.

Last but not least, if you can stand setting the cruise control at what I'm guessing is a smidge under 50mph on an open highway, the 3 can probably go well over 400 miles for you. :D

* I say roughly/possibly because I believe there are three other tests the EPA uses for fuel economy rating that could drag those figures down, who knows which wheels they used for the dyno settings, the production 3s that actually make it to customers might have less of the pack available for use, maybe I have a few typos in my post, other random stuff might change, and so on... YR(ange)MV/YMMV. ;)

Attachments

• Tesla Awesomeness!.PDF
    23.7 KB · Views: 554
  • Bolt Data.PDF
    27.7 KB · Views: 208
  • Ioniq Data.PDF
    27.5 KB · Views: 253
Last edited by a moderator:
What I find interesting for the Model 3 is (page 6 & 7):

Charge Depleting Highway:
PHEV/EV TEST INFO
Recharge Event Voltage: 208
Charge Depleting Range (Calculated miles): 454.64
Equivalent All Electric Range (miles): 454.64​
Charge Depleting UDDS:
PHEV/EV TEST INFO
Recharge Event Voltage: 208
Charge Depleting Range (Calculated miles): 495.11
Equivalent All Electric Range (miles): 495.11​

TEG's post on the Monroney stickers for the 3 prompted me to dig around for them. Unfortunately, I came up short in that search, but I found something just as good, maybe even better.

Long story short, Tesla built a monster with the 3! It can put down 258hp, gets 126mpge (confirmed via the picture in TEG's thread), has *roughly 78kWh of usable capacity (80.5kWh rated), and *possibly has 346 miles of city range (1.36x the Bolt's measured city range), and 316 miles of highway range (1.46x the Bolt's measured highway range)! At only $7k+ more than the Bolt, that's kinda brilliant. :eek:

I've attached the test data with the figures from Tesla as well as the same reports for the Bolt and Ioniq. Obviously, these aren't the final figures, YMMV, and so on. But... what I'm seeing here is better than Tesla's putting out there, assuming the CSI submission is accurate.

Last but not least, if you can stand setting the cruise control at what I'm guessing is a smidge under 50mph on an open highway, the 3 can probably go well over 400 miles for you. :D

* I say roughly/possibly because I believe there are three other tests the EPA uses for fuel economy rating that could drag those figures down, who knows which wheels they used for the dyno settings, the production 3s that actually make it to customers might have less of the pack available for use, maybe I have a few typos in my post, other random stuff might change, and so on... YR(ange)MV/YMMV. ;)

Link?

Page 3 of that report says th motor is AC 3 Phase Permanent Magnet. I don't believe the old motors were permanent magnet.
Screen Shot 2017-08-06 at 7.29.20 AM.png

I missed this. Where is the listed, or the parameters to calculate this listed? I have not read one of these before and kind of saturate because the words don't immediately mean things.

Presumably he calculated this from the "Recharge event energy". After running the battery to flat it to 89.4 kWh of wall energy to recharge it to full.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: 22522 and tracksyde
Can you provide a link?
https://www3.epa.gov/otaq/datafiles/CSI-HTSLV00.0L13.PDF
You might need to reload it once or twice. For some reason it never loads for me on the first get.
I missed this. Where is the listed, or the parameters to calculate this listed? I have not read one of these before and kind of saturate because the words don't immediately mean things.
It's just the ratio of Tesla's END SOC, which I'm guessing is the amount of energy available for use (I could be wrong), to the Recharge Event Energy.
Permanent magnet motor misspelled, fake ?
It could be, but that would mean someone submitted this to the EPA posing as Tesla somehow.
Is there a form for the standard range model?
Not that I'm aware of. Tesla only needs to submit the paperwork for the cars they're going to sell in the immediate future. The info for the standard range model will likely pop up around the time they start selling them.

• Helpful
Reactions: zmarty and 22522