Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Spoiler Alert + Mild Speculation] Tesla has created a monster!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good question. It might be a typo, I don't know why Tesla would carry around the weight of a generator that was only used for braking.
It could be why reviewers are gushing about the 3's handling/zero body roll. Being able to adjust regen at both ends of the car (all four corners?) could go a long way for driving dynamics. Maybe it helps regen efficiency as well. If all of the cars have the same hardware up front, with the only difference a generator or motor (if that even makes sense, I'm not sure it does), that should make manufacturing AWD/RWD cars easier.

Last edited:
So.....Tesla just put a new rear motor in some of theS's. Could it be rare earth also, if this turns out to be true for the 3?

Since the new ones are PM motors, definitely no. Efficiency would be too different to really hide it. Induction motors are less efficient at lower speeds, but more efficient at higher speeds, so at least highway and city driving range would have changed, even if total driving range/MPGe would have stayed the same.

EPA would have needed to know about that, just like with a petrol car with a new engine.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
It could be why reviewers are gushing about the 3's handling/zero body roll. Being able to adjust regen at both ends of the car (all four corners?) could go a long way for driving dynamics. Maybe it helps regen efficiency as well. If all of the cars have the same hardware up front, with the only difference a generator or motor (if that even makes sense, I'm not sure it does), that should make manufacturing AWD/RWD cars easier.

If it had a second motor or generator it would probably be listed as a line item on the form.

As much as I would like software upgradable AWD, I don't think they could carry a non-operating motor along for the ride in a RWD car.

Although considering Tesla upgradeable battery experiment a second motor/generator is not impossible. It would not need to be particularly large to be useful. Poor traction events can't use much torque.

That earlier link to the Wally Ripple article reinforces that no one design is better than an another under all conditions.

As I understand it a PM motor runs cooler than an induction motor. With an induction motor, the spinning rotor is effectively a short-circuit device (pulsed rapidly), that creates the oscillating opposing magnetic fields. The heat created by the shorted circuit tends to heat the rotor itself. Recall the at the track the Model S motor is known to overheat after repeated laps.

A cooler running PM rotor may either negate that phenomenon and/or require less cooling infrastructure (cheaper / smaller).

There's always trade offs. Tesla maybe trading away it's namesake in exchange for the hassle and expense of rare earths that come with a more efficient motor design.

I for one am not happy to own a Tesla that is not a "Tesla". But you get used to anything I guess.

Here is a primer on the Tesla 3-phase AC induction motor: Tesla’s 3-Phase 4-Pole AC Induction Motor — Why Nikola Tesla’s 19th Century Induction Motor Is The Ideal Choice For The 21st Century Electric Car

I think the Bolt is DC (thought I read that somewhere)
I know almost all hybrid cars use DC, not AC. They also use inverters.
Bolt is PM 3-phase AC. The EV-1 was induction 3-phase AC

Also guys, Tesla going for PM motors is old news to anyone reading Metal Event Limited:
Oh Hell! All my back issues of Metal Event Limited are piled up in customs.

thanx. ;>

Using the Dyno Coefficients, we get the efficiency data:

View attachment 240071

Keep in mind that this does not include accessory use like A/C; it includes car on, inverter, road, motor, transmission and air frictions.

really appreciate the thread. honestly, a bit over my head, but, for those of you who understand all this, I'm wondering if you can share here a total miles of highway range calculation for various constant speeds (i.e. 65, 70, 75, 80 mph), of course, leaving temperature, wind resistance, elevation changes, etc., out of the calculation.

really appreciate the thread. honestly, a bit over my head, but, for those of you who understand all this, I'm wondering if you can share here a total miles of highway range calculation for various constant speeds (i.e. 65, 70, 75, 80 mph), of course, leaving temperature, wind resistance, elevation changes, etc., out of the calculation.
Presuming the usable pack of the LR Model 3 is 78 kWh,

at speed S
Consumption C
Range = 78*1000/C

So e.g., at 70 mph C = 220
Range = 78000/220 = 354 miles

---------
Or you may prefer thinking about it this way:
Given the Wh/mile at a certain speed, convert to miles per kWh by dividing into 1000
Multiply the result by the usable battery capacity