TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Spoke with Tesla Energy RE AC Powerall 2

Discussion in 'Tesla Energy' started by doubleohwhat, Mar 13, 2017.

Tags:
  1. doubleohwhat

doubleohwhat Supporting Member

I reserved two of the 2nd edition powerwalls and had yet to hear anything from Tesla. So I figured I'd give them a call today just to touch base.

Apparently the reason I haven't heard anything is because they've been focusing on the DC powerwalls to date and aren't expecting the AC version to start shipping until the end of this month (March). They said I could expect installation in April or May.

Basically it seems they're focusing on solar customers with existing inverters first. Our energy here is fairly cheap. So a massive solar system with energy storage doesn't make a whole lot of sense (especially considering our utility does not offer net metering but actually CHARGES monthly to have a solar array grid-tied). So while we may add a small array to help with peak periods later on, we primarily want the powerwalls for backup and time-shifting. Apparently this isn't glamorous enough for Tesla.

• Informative x 2
  2. Tam

Tam Active Member

It makes sense for Tesla to crank out faster with less component DC only Powerwalls.

Thanks for the update and thanks for helping out the grid despite of dis-incentives from utility company.

3. zedkyuu

zedkyuu Member

Hm. I have a solar array with inverter already. Guess I should drop them a line...

(Mind, I also want a battery for power backup and timeshifting, too, so I'm not dropping off the grid either. Especially not with a 90D to charge!)

4. doubleohwhat

doubleohwhat Supporting Member

Forgot to mention that they acted like the reservations didn't really mean much. Apparently it's more a matter of when they get to your area than your reservation number. The only number they wanted from me to tell me the ship/install months was my zip code.

• Informative x 1
  5. zedkyuu

zedkyuu Member

Funny timing; I just got a call from "Angela at Tesla". I guess I'll call back and see what's up.