Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sponsoring a plug in St. Barbe, NL?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

We're back from a fantastic "circum-Gulf of Saint Lawrence" trip in our 235 000 km MS! We saw nearly a hundred whales total (a humpback whale even saw us form 20 feet at the Blanc-Sablon wharf), 7-8 icebergs, hundreds of puffins, 5-6 bald eagles, seals, what else? Plus fantastic landscapes, of course.

Almost everything went as planned regarding charging. We drove along Québec's Côte-Nord (several fast chargers) up to Natashquan where, fully charged, we took a passenger-cargo ship to Blanc-Sablon. (The car was loaded on the boat in a container with a few other cars.) From Blanc-Sablon, we went to Red Bay, Labrador (Basque whaling site from 1540) and back to Blanc-Sablon (160 km return) to take the ferry to St. Barbe, Newfoundland. There, we slept at the motel while the car charged overnight on a TT-30 (+160 km in 14h) in the RV park across the road (their first time with such request). Then we drove to St. Anthony (120 km) and l'Anse-aux-Meadows (+45 km) where we slept at a camping (TT-30, +130 km in 16h, low voltage). Then, after visiting the site where the Vikings came 1000 years ago, we went back to the St. Barbe motel, and the next day we drove to the motel near Gros Morne where there is an L2 plug (used 2-3 times per Summer, the guy said). From that point we could complete our trip through Newfoundland using the few L2 plugs in Newfoundland, including Fogo Island (a must!) I have to say that we have a dual charger so we could get 70 amps from these L2 chargers. We went back to mainland with the ferry from Argentia to North Sidney, NS.

All that to say that the tightest part during our trip regarding charging was the northern peninsula of Newfoundland. It would simplify EV trips a lot if there was a plug in St. Barbe to charge overnight. It would allow people to go some distance in Labrador (although even Goose Bay, 600 km, is out of reach on a single charge), and it's 120-130 km from St. Anthony and l'Anse-aux-meadows at the northern tip of Newfoundland so someone could do that North loop (300 km) without charging. And Dear Lake (where there are a couple of L2 plugs) is 300 km away. I didn't ask them, but I'm pretty sure the Dockside Motel (only motel in St. Barbe) would be willing to host an L2 plug, if sponsored.

So, I was wondering if there is some kind of club or something willing to sponsor such plug... I'm in to contribute.

The second tightest place in our trip was Fortune, NL, where we took the ferry (without the car) to St-Pierre-et-Miquelon. It's 230 km from Clarenville, where we slept the day before. There is a plug in Marystown, 40 km from Fortune, so now worries, except that if we couldn't charge in Fortune, we would have had to spend several hours in Marystown in order to reach St. John's, our next destination. (We did charge a couple of hours in Marystown, first car ever apparently, even if the plug has been there for 3 years. At least, we were the first to register on PlugShare. Lot of ICE'ing.) So in Fortune, we were supposed to charge at someone's house, but they forgot and were out of town! We finally convinced the garage to plug there (120V, 6 km/h for 40h while we were in St-Pierre) and didn't had to stop much in Marystown on our way back. But it would be very practical to convince the people in charge of the St-Pierre ferry to provide a couple of 120 V plugs in one of the parking they provide for people traveling to St-Pierre. I'm working on it!

Last edited:
So, I was wondering if there is some kind of club or something willing to sponsor such plug... I'm in to contribute.
I'm not sure what the details of the Tesla Destination Charging program are these days, but I think they used to give the chargers for free and maybe even cover some/all of the installation costs? They may also include a J1772 charger in addition to the Tesla charger(s). Bonus is they'd end up on Tesla's destination charger map so in theory it will attract business.

Charging Partners | Tesla Canada