TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Spontaneous Crack in Glass Roof

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by schmoot, Apr 4, 2018.

1. schmoot

schmoot Member

Picked up a M3 on Friday. Was out of town for easter, so the car was sitting idle for 4-5 days parked outside in California, besides a lot of pollen there was no extreme temps during this period. When got in the car this morning, there is a 14" long crack in the sunroof. I used one of the detailed delivery check-lists and I explicitly looked for stress fractures in the roof and everything was fine.

So far impressed with support. Have a drop off appointment 2pm tomorrow.

Attached Files:

• Informative x 5
  2. Tony_YYZ

Tony_YYZ Tezler Guru

Yikes! Hope they take care of you.

3. Barklikeadog

Barklikeadog Active Member

there were a couple other postings about this not too long ago, I wonder how many are affected.

4. navinsiri

navinsiri Member

I had a chip in the rear glass which I hadn't noticed, but Tesla noticed while the car was in service. They replaced it free of charge.

• Like x 4
    • Love x 1
  5. dhu1

dhu1 Member

They'll take care of it. I had the same thing and the replaced it within 24 hours. I thought given that you just picked it up your car that they would have already solved for the issue....curious to see if many others with recent delivery will see the same.

6. jsmay311

jsmay311 Member

Sorry to be "that guy", but it's not a sunroof. :)

upload_2018-4-4_14-35-33.png

Hope it gets fixed quickly for you tho.

• Funny x 6
    • Like x 1
  7. adaptabl

adaptabl Banned

Looks like a stress crack.

8. voip-ninja

voip-ninja Give me some sugar baby

Agreed. Could have happened when it was installed at the factory.

9. Moderatefan

Moderatefan Member

3rd instance I read about.

• Like x 1
  10. Skidmark

Skidmark Member

I'm sure service will take care of you. But is the glass not tempered..meaning if it breaks it could easily sever arteries, etc..?

11. Moderatefan

Moderatefan Member

#11 Moderatefan, Apr 4, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
    Latest fatal crash that was pretty intense...looking like glass roof is mostly in one piece in the pile on the back.
    xmxswma8oy5kbthqdotd.png

12. navinsiri

navinsiri Member

Actually update to what I said before: The new replacement glass has formed a new stress crack and my SC says it could be a bad batch of glass. They're waiting to hear back from the parts department

• Informative x 5
  13. Moderatefan

Moderatefan Member

:eek:

14. RyanS

RyanS Ka-chow

I am worried about this when the warranty is over. I drive a lot. It sounds very expensive

• Like x 1
  15. dhu1

dhu1 Member

I think this issue is well documented and the crack pattern is pretty unique (spreads from the front center area), so if Tesla saw this years down the line, they should be able to identify it as the same issue.

• Like x 1
  16. DR61

DR61 Member

Unlikely that this is due to mileage, and probably it is not expensive to replace. Glass replacers do this for windshields quickly from mobile units.

• Like x 1
  17. geometro

geometro Member

True, but in my limited experience it’s never the same as what comes out of the factory.... on the other hand, maybe it will be better:oops:

18. Henry82

Henry82 Member

I totally agree... production quality and service repair quality is never the same... usually due to the people doing the service (dealership service dept or independent mechanic) come from different training backgrounds (hence the inflated cost of "factory trained technicians"). Tesla has a chance to bridge the gap between the two since the guys doing the service repairs are all being trained by the manufacturer... at least for now.

• Helpful x 1
  19. zosoisnotaword

Progressive has a $50 glass deductible option for the comprehensive coverage ;) They'll be insuring my 3.

• Like x 1
  20. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Voltage makes me tingle.

This type of problem will always show up very early in ownership. (Usually first couple weeks). You’ll virtually never see a stress fracture after the warranty period is over.

• Informative x 2