Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spontaneous disassembly of the roof?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

geordi

Mr Fusion V.1
Jun 14, 2022
Connecticut
So this is a new one on me.... Driving along on the highway in my 2016 MX minding my own business, when I hear a soft thump like I ran over a bit of tire or other road debris. I didn't see anything, but then I notice that it seems I can hear a bit more wind noise than before.

Stop and have a look.... And the center roof panel (spine) is GONE. Looks like it tore off a couple wires from something that was part of it. Error messages mention ultrasonic sensor but the doors still work.

I can't believe that they GLUED the roof parts down, and that it appears the glue just completely failed. Anyone else had something like this happen? Any suggestions for getting them to replace it free since it was poor manufacturing? As you can see in the pictures, the gaskets on the doors also don't look great, but I don't believe the doors were contacting the roof when it was open.

2023-03-07 10-34-13.jpeg

check to see if your X is part of this recall.
THANK YOU!!!!!!!

I just bought this MX (and it IS a 2016 model!) so I haven't previously really been paying attention to news / recall info about them. You very likely have just saved me $700, b/c they were all too happy to quote the standard replacement costs and made ZERO mention about the recall. I'll give the service center a chance to speak up about it when I get there, before pushing back with this. This is why I love this forum.

Reactions: Shateam
According to the NHTSA site, there are no open recalls for this car specifically... There's a chance that the previous owner did have them do the replacement under the recall already - BUT then that should be covered by the warranty for that work, b/c clearly that wasn't done right either. There wasn't any warning at all, no flapping or lifting that I had seen - just poof, gone at 75mph. Luckily the only vehicle close behind that could have been impacted was ALSO mine, as I was towing my Jeep behind the X. I didn't find any damage on the Jeep, so I don't know where the panel went, other than "away"

They ended up.... Telling me that sometime in 2020 they "performed the recall" by sticking a suction cup to the panel and pulling on it, and it didn't come off, so their legal responsibility was fulfilled. If I wanted my car to not leak and not have a 30" long open hole in the roof, I would be "customer pay" for over $700 to fix this.

I am not amused. I attempted to resolve this myself by getting a panel from a boneyard in California, which turned out to be a REALLY poor idea - because when I installed it, the first time I tested the falcon door, it promptly caught this damn plastic and snapped the $1200 ROOF GLASS on the door.

Even better though, was that I was at a service center b/c the doors have been misbehaving. I was forced to fix this before they would proceed on the doors - even though the doors HAVE been working fine since March without having that panel in place. But they won't fix anything that is any form of non-standard when they start on it.

So I told the service writer what had just happened with the stupid panel breaking the glass of my door's roof.... And this idiot promptly opens the OTHER DOOR which instantly does the same thing!

I told him that HE did that one, so HE is paying for that glass. At least they agreed on that. But now I HAD to pay them their fecking $740 to replace the stinking plastic on the roof, plus the $1200 for the damnned glass. GRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!

• Funny
Reactions: rpo
Man that is unfortunate. I bet they did the same “recall” on mine too. The funny thing is 2-3 months ago I told them the car has been having increased wind noise but they told me the car was totally fine. It’s mostly been sitting in my garage (driven it 1000 miles since then). The wind noise completely resolved when the damn thing flew off.

So I’m hoping they cover it because my car was under warranty when it was making the wind noise. Sucks about the DIY fix not working out. I’m mechanically inclined so I was going to go that route myself if they didn’t cover it.

Lessons from my adventure with it so far:

Strip off ALL that stinking urethane, don't even think about leaving any as a base. If there are blocks that you can't remove that are the same height (as spacers or something) consider removing them too. You DO NOT WANT this thing level with the roof glass, you want it UNDER the damn door panels.

There are clips (because of course there are) and a stupid harness for the sensor up there, the sensor is GLUED TO THE PANEL so if you lost your panel, then you probably lost the harness and that sensor too. You can repair the wires, but those numpties will want to disassemble the interior to replace it rather than doing a wire repair.

I'd let the clips be the height reference, and use silicone for the sealant rather than urethane. Something that is aggressive at bonding, stays flexible, and doesn't need any form of primer.

So pissed about this. With fixing the doors, they are now up to $2900 for the door struts and this stupid roof panel (so 2 grand for the door!!!!) and over $5000 for the total. I'm sure they will somehow find another 3 or 4 thousand before they are done screwing me for this, at the rate they are going.