Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spontaneous reboot while driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had a new thing happen today, not sure if its happened to others before:

Just after dropping my kid off at daycare and about to get on the hwy to go to work, and all of a sudden got a crackle coming from the audio system and the screen went dark. My initial thought was the car went dead, but I could control everything, and after about 30s to 1 min everything came back to normal. It basically looked like a soft reboot when you hold in both steering wheel buttons, but I didn't initiate that, and also never had the audio crackle when I did that previously.

I'm on the latest software which I believe is 2019.8.4. Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else before? I've had random black screen reboots when I get back into the car, but never while driving has this happened.....interestingly enough, the parked reboots also happened while I'm dropping my kid off at daycare...maybe there is a nexus point for the multiverse in the parking lot and my doppleganger from an alternate universe is occupying the same point in space-time and causing the car to glitch out? :)

I wonder if they made the same colour choice/config as me? :oops:

I've had it happen only while using the browser (as recently as 2 days ago on 2019.8.3, now on 2019.8.4)... generally never happens. Although, it did happen very frequently when I first picked up the car back in May 2018 (forgot the software version).

Just happened to me this morning. Driving on the 401, audio made a weird glitch noise, then the screen went black, then the audio cut out. Still had full control, and the audio and screen came back after about 30 seconds. Not a big deal I guess

Just as an FYI for those who aren't already aware: the car has separate and distinct computers to control the driving/AP systems and the infotainment systems. So, a crash of the MCU computer will lose you your displays and internal functions like radio and maybe some climate control but has no effect on the computer which is involved in safely driving the car. Both pedals still work, regen works, turn signals work (though you may not be able to see that they are activated without the display), steering works, hazards work, etc. If you feel you can't maintain a safe/legal speed without the display for a few minutes (likely shorter), then pull off the road when/where it's safe to do so and wait for the MCU to finish rebooting.

Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
Yep, just drive to the speed of traffic and wait for the reboot. I'm sure there will be a new update very soon if not already. The GPS bug I had last is a serious performance issue for AP/EAP/FSD enabled cars. I see 2019.9.0 on TeslaFi.

upload_2019-4-3_10-10-22.png

Had a new thing happen today, not sure if its happened to others before:

Just after dropping my kid off at daycare and about to get on the hwy to go to work, and all of a sudden got a crackle coming from the audio system and the screen went dark. My initial thought was the car went dead, but I could control everything, and after about 30s to 1 min everything came back to normal. It basically looked like a soft reboot when you hold in both steering wheel buttons, but I didn't initiate that, and also never had the audio crackle when I did that previously.

I'm on the latest software which I believe is 2019.8.4. Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else before? I've had random black screen reboots when I get back into the car, but never while driving has this happened.....interestingly enough, the parked reboots also happened while I'm dropping my kid off at daycare...maybe there is a nexus point for the multiverse in the parking lot and my doppleganger from an alternate universe is occupying the same point in space-time and causing the car to glitch out? :)

I wonder if they made the same colour choice/config as me? :oops:
Yikes. That’s scary.

It happened to me too, few times in a short drive.
In my case was the IPhone Bluetooth connection.
I restored my iPhone and since then the Tesla was not able to connect and the screen was rebooting.
Once I deleted the phone and reconnect the IPhone to my Tesla Model X, the problem disappear.

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9
I had a problem with my iPhone and I had restore it. That caused the failure to connect to my Tesla Bluetooth connection.
Once I deleted the phone and reconnect the IPhone to my Tesla Model X the issue disappeared. And the rebooting stopped.

Happened once this weekend. Startled my wife some but because I saw the threads on TMC knew about the issue and just waited 1min for the system to reboot. Still annoying to lose navigation when I was relying on it for an unknown area.

This has been happening to me every couple weeks lately. The first time it was on the highway and quite nerve wracking. But I learned that the car drives just fine without the screen working — you just have no idea how fast you’re going. The screen rebooted and came up again after a couple minutes. Hopefully a software update will fix this as it is still unnerving. I am on v9.0 (2019.8.5).

I restored my iPhone and since then the Tesla was not able to connect and the screen was rebooting.
Once I deleted the phone and reconnect the IPhone to my Tesla Model X, the problem disappear.

I had a problem with my iPhone and I had restore it. That caused the failure to connect to my Tesla Bluetooth connection.
Once I deleted the phone and reconnect the IPhone to my Tesla Model X the issue disappeared. And the rebooting stopped.

I think Mrares re-booted.

:D

Happens every now and then.

Even had the car get stuck in a reboot cycle, where it eventually recovered after about 4 automatic reboots, but lost all the settings (music, favorites, garage door opener, driver profiles and trip counters).

However, the car still drove safely and properly during the reboot loop.

This has been happening to me every couple weeks lately. The first time it was on the highway and quite nerve wracking. But I learned that the car drives just fine without the screen working — you just have no idea how fast you’re going. The screen rebooted and came up again after a couple minutes. Hopefully a software update will fix this as it is still unnerving. I am on v9.0 (2019.8.5).
I got this a few times when on different 2019.8 builds. Pretty sure I haven't seen this since I got 2019.16.2 and it's been a while so an update should fix it for you.

Anyone have the passenger heated seat on max turn off automatically after driving for like two minutes. This happens every time I have a passenger and it's cool at night.

At first I thought my friends can't handle the heat or doesn't like it but I've seen it do it a handful of times. Submitted bug report. Hopefully it gets fixed before next winter :)

Anyone have the passenger heated seat on max turn off automatically after driving for like two minutes. This happens every time I have a passenger and it's cool at night.

At first I thought my friends can't handle the heat or doesn't like it but I've seen it do it a handful of times. Submitted bug report. Hopefully it gets fixed before next winter :)
Sounds like the heater shuts off after you put the car in drive/reverse from park. Maybe try not turning on the seat heater until after you're already moving as a temporary workaround?

Passenger Seat Heater Bug? : teslamotors

Any one else having issues with passenger seat heater turning off after putting in drive? : teslamotors

• Informative
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck