Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sporadic window roll downs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since the day we received our Model 3 (we presently have the vehicle 81 days) we have had problems with the rear passenger window randomly dropping any where from 2 ins. to 4-5 inches for no reason. This is a huge issue due to weather and theft. The quality control at Tesla is extremely poor as this vehicle was delivered with this issue and noted by the staff member from Tesla upon delivery. The car has been at the Tesla Service Center well over 30 days which have accrued between 3 different visits. Currently this vehicle has met and exceeded the requirements to be considered under NYS The Lemon Law. I am not the only person experiencing this issue with the Model 3, as there are others that have noted this exact problem yet Tesla does not have a clue why this occurs. Totally fed up with this vehicle.

Sorry to hear about your trouble. You should logon to the Tesla website and submit a question / support request (I forget the exact terminology) and also check the option to escalate it to management. The service center shouldn’t take this long to fix this. Is that the only problem you’re experiencing?

There’s a long thread on this issue. Some people might be accidentally pressing the window buttons upon exiting the car. For others (like me) the windows rolling themselves down is a real issue and it happened to me with my passenger window twice within a couple of days. I noted the timeframe when it happened and Tesla checked my logs and confirmed that it was a glitch. They recalibrated the window regulator and it hasn’t happened since.

I too have weird issues with the windows. Sometimes my wife will ask why is there so much wind noise? So I try and roll up the windows, and sure enough, one of them was down a little. Last week, we came out of the store on a snowy winter day to find the front passenger window down about 8 inches. Don't know what causes this. Very upsetting.

• Informative
Reactions: StellarRat
Since the day we received our Model 3 (we presently have the vehicle 81 days) we have had problems with the rear passenger window randomly dropping any where from 2 ins. to 4-5 inches for no reason. This is a huge issue due to weather and theft. The quality control at Tesla is extremely poor as this vehicle was delivered with this issue and noted by the staff member from Tesla upon delivery. The car has been at the Tesla Service Center well over 30 days which have accrued between 3 different visits. Currently this vehicle has met and exceeded the requirements to be considered under NYS The Lemon Law. I am not the only person experiencing this issue with the Model 3, as there are others that have noted this exact problem yet Tesla does not have a clue why this occurs. Totally fed up with this vehicle.
Sorry to hear about your trouble. You should logon to the Tesla website and submit a question / support request (I forget the exact terminology) and also check the option to escalate it to management. The service center shouldn’t take this long to fix this. Is that the only problem you’re experiencing?

This vehicle was checked by the techs in the service center each time the issue occurred with all the data I supplied them with as far as the time and date of each occurrence. Upon the first service center visit the tech determined that the vehicle had a bent pin. The tech removed and replaced the right side body controller module and straightened the pin on the connector. The vehicle went back to the service center for second visit the day after we picked it up from its first visit because the window again went down on it's own while no one was in the car. At this second visit the tech sourced the fault to be the right rear door harness which he replaced and also performed a calibration and deployed the latest firmware. The vehicle went back to the service center for a third visit, yes because the window again went down again with no one in the car. I've already sent both emails and physical copies of this problem to Corporate Office. Waiting to hear back.

Does it happen when the car is off, or when you open and close the door? In my car, it seems to happen when I open the driver door, and sometimes one of the other windows rolls down a bit. It seems to be related to the window control unit, which appears to be sensitive to the vibration caused by door opening and closing.

This vehicle was checked by the techs in the service center each time the issue occurred with all the data I supplied them with as far as the time and date of each occurrence. Upon the first service center visit the tech determined that the vehicle had a bent pin. The tech removed and replaced the right side body controller module and straightened the pin on the connector. The vehicle went back to the service center for second visit the day after we picked it up from its first visit because the window again went down on it's own while no one was in the car. At this second visit the tech sourced the fault to be the right rear door harness which he replaced and also performed a calibration and deployed the latest firmware. The vehicle went back to the service center for a third visit, yes because the window again went down again with no one in the car. I've already sent both emails and physical copies of this problem to Corporate Office. Waiting to hear back.

If it meets the definition of a lemon in your state, ask them to replace the car. They should have enough inventory now to replace it.

• Disagree
Reactions: StellarRat
I was able to fix this by putting the window up and down repeatedly to "set" it. I will also tell you that I've caught myself just barely bumping the window switches when I leave the car and rolling the window down a little. The window switches on the M3 very sensitive and have zero delay. I said this in another post but I'll repeat it here, Tesla needs to add a slight delay to the window controls so it they will ignore an unintentional bump. Maybe just a 1 or 2 tenths of a second of switch down before they move.

Reactions: MentalNomad
Tesla needs to add a slight delay to the window controls so it they will ignore an unintentional bump. Maybe just a 1 or 2 tenths of a second of switch down before they move.
I was thinking about taking a thin mouse pad and xacto'ing it over the window switches to prevent an accidental bump... However, just paying attention and not bumping the controls accidentally has been working for me.

Mine has done this twice Naturally it was raining both times.

Same. Soaked rear seat and carpet... Tech looked at the logs remotely and didn't see a problem. Hasn't happened in a month or two though so crossing fingers. If that happened in an urban area around me the car would have been stripped or vandalized.

I loved the idea of a Model 3, but this early adoption stuff is for the birds. I thought the reliability would have been a little more fully baked than it is... Instead, evidently the guys at Tesla must have been fully baked. And didn't even share.

My passenger window was rolled down all the way on two occasions this week when I know for a fact it was up all the way when I left the car. One time I had a passenger double check as well. Another time both front windows were down about 4". So now I'm turning off Bluetooth when I exit the car to observe window behavior. My friend thought it was a way to avoid broken windows but I was too annoyed to think it was funny.

• Funny
Reactions: super20g
Add me to the list of possible issues. Passenger window has dropped about two inches on three different times. These have been after the 2018.50 update. I thought it was an issue with the cold weather feature where it drops the window slightly after exiting.

Just had this happen to me for probably the third time. A neighbor came by this morning to tell me the passenger window was down. Outside of it being a serious security issue (I park on the street and we have a fair number of car prowls), it was raining most of the night so the car has significant moisture inside. Now I have to worry about mildew.

For those who have had Tesla investigate, how did you go about getting them to do that?

Just had this happen to me for probably the third time. A neighbor came by this morning to tell me the passenger window was down. Outside of it being a serious security issue (I park on the street and we have a fair number of car prowls), it was raining most of the night so the car has significant moisture inside. Now I have to worry about mildew.

For those who have had Tesla investigate, how did you go about getting them to do that?
Take note of the time when you noticed it. They can check the cars logs and can tell if the window rolled down at some point after you parked the car (i.e. without you unlocking or getting into the car).

Take note of the time when you noticed it. They can check the cars logs and can tell if the window rolled down at some point after you parked the car (i.e. without you unlocking or getting into the car).
Yep. Finally called Tesla support. They checked the data and noted a "water ingress fault" with the window actuator. They are sending mobile service to replace the actuator. But now I'm curious as to how water got in there in the first place. Leaky window seals could be a problem here in rainy (and now sub-freezing) Seattle...

It happend to me twice, first time when I got the car. Friend of mine who owns a Model S told me to do a reset (pushing and holding the two steering button at the same time until the screen restarted). That fixed it the first time. Then about 3 weeks ago we had a software update (whoopie cushion and fire place) and it happend again so I did a reset and it fixed it. Now we just received a new update and I didn't take a chance I made a reset right away and still no window down yet... I guess someone has tried it before me, how did it go?