Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sport Handling Option for Standard MS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Bobfitz1

Supporting Member
Sep 24, 2012
Ludlow, Vt
Can anyone think of any good reasons why Tesla Motors should not give customers buying the S Standard an option to pay some additional dollars to get upgraded Sport handling with many of the same parts, changes they've included with the P85 Plus option?

I believe that many buying non performance MS would (after comparison driving an S85+ against S85) elect to pay extra for a handling upgrade like this. I don't think they need to make that enhanced handling 100% of P85+, just much of the upgrade for a price that makes sense for a Standard.

I'm not clear on how critical to great handling the 21 inch wheels are. My guess is that Tesla could offer this option in two flavors. One using 19 inch at a lower extra cost and another with less compromised with the 21 inch, at higher cost.

Hopefully lolachampcars will see this and respond. But from what I (perhaps mistakenly) understand from his postings, the P85+ needs the wider rear tires to make the car behave the way that Federal traction control regulations say the car has to behave.

If the above is true, then Tesla cannot sell a configuration with the P85+ configuration and current 19" wheels. Perhaps they could offer the option with wider 19" rear tires but I don't know whether that configuration would be compliant and how much certification testing they'd have to do to demonstrate compliance.

We'll see what happens.

Good topic. I was not aware that non-performance Model Ss would not be able to get the performance plus retrofit when it comes out. I have confirmed with my local service center manager that the suspension on perf and non-perf models is the same (except sport tuned traction control on the perf or something like that) so the performance retrofit should be no different from a parts and install standpoint. Ultimately, the decision to offer the retrofit to standard model owners will be a marketing decision ie if Tesla wants to portray performance for P85 and non-performance for the standard cars. If it is a money making decision which at this point I think it should be, then they should open up the retrofit option to all owners as I believe the majority are still non perf Model Ss (although it doesn't always seem that way driving around here).

I personally think every MS could use the performance suspension. There's just so much instant power and weight being tossed around that limits the ceiling for a spirited drive around turns. My .02.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Can anyone think of any good reasons why Tesla Motors should not give customers buying the S Standard an option to pay some additional dollars to get upgraded Sport handling with many of the same parts, changes they've included with the P85 Plus option?

Pessimist answer is : GREED
Optimist answer is : Maximizing shareholder value.

Either way we should have the option to buy the parts and install them ourselves if we so choose.

Guess I wasn't clear enough. This may not be about money.

The P85+ suspension + 19" wheels may not meet the Dept of Transportation requirements on how traction control systems must behave. If so, then Tesla cannot sell this configuration without violating Federal law.

Period. Dot.

Owners can buy the pieces and have a shop install them on an existing car. Or buy a P85+ and put 19" wheels/tires on. But if the configuration doesn't meet DOT requirements, Tesla can't sell it.

A *very* knowledgeable forum member believes that the wider 21" wheels are required to make the P85+ meet the DOT requirements. Given that, I think there's no way a P85+ suspension with uniform 19" tires all around could possibly meet the DOT requirements.

Right. The only sport handling upgrade that we know of from TM will be the P85+ retrofit which includes 21" staggered wheels/tires. A 19" package is not on the radar afaik.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Guess I wasn't clear enough. This may not be about money.

The P85+ suspension + 19" wheels may not meet the Dept of Transportation requirements on how traction control systems must behave. If so, then Tesla cannot sell this configuration without violating Federal law.

Period. Dot.

Owners can buy the pieces and have a shop install them on an existing car. Or buy a P85+ and put 19" wheels/tires on. But if the configuration doesn't meet DOT requirements, Tesla can't sell it.

A *very* knowledgeable forum member believes that the wider 21" wheels are required to make the P85+ meet the DOT requirements. Given that, I think there's no way a P85+ suspension with uniform 19" tires all around could possibly meet the DOT requirements.

While it's possible that wider 21" wheels might be required for a P85+ that doesn't mean wider rear 19 " wheels might not work on the Standard MS. Depending on how Tesla priced a Standard +, it would still be plenty worthwhile ever if it not not quite match the improved handling now possible with P85+.