Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sports mode steering feels significantly lighter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was out for 2 weeks and when I got back and started driving my model 3P, I could feel the steering wheel was not as heavy as before. My setting was in sports mode. Has anyone seen this behavior previously? Maybe worth mentioning my Tesla went through a software updates while I was gone, but nothing on the update log was about steering mode change.

I was out for 2 weeks and when I got back and started driving my model 3P, I could feel the steering wheel was not as heavy as before. My setting was in sports mode. Has anyone seen this behavior previously? Maybe worth mentioning my Tesla went through a software updates while I was gone, but nothing on the update log was about steering mode change.

have you tried to change it back to standard and see what that feels like?

Upvote 0
I swear it's not me. My wife was driving it and she felt the same thing as I did.
1650896549432.png

Upvote 0

So I laughed at the SpongeBob meme, but I've noticed the sport steering IS less stiff after an update to 2022.12.3.1 last night. In both M3s I've had, I've always kept the steering in sport.

I played with the settings for a bit and even tried the comfort steering which feels like spinning a wheel on a boat lol. I liked the original stiffness since it felt more solid and tight through corners like a proper sports sedan should. It's not a huge change though and I wonder if this alleviates any points of failure for Tesla.

Upvote 0
So I laughed at the SpongeBob meme, but I've noticed the sport steering IS less stiff after an update to 2022.12.3.1 last night. In both M3s I've had, I've always kept the steering in sport.

I played with the settings for a bit and even tried the comfort steering which feels like spinning a wheel on a boat lol. I liked the original stiffness since it felt more solid and tight through corners like a proper sports sedan should. It's not a huge change though and I wonder if this alleviates any points of failure for Tesla.
I got the update last night but haven't driven since. I hope this change isn't permanent and/or deliberate, as the Sport steering setting felt just about perfect to me. No mention of this in the release notes, not even as an undocumented change here: 2022.12.3.1 Official Tesla Release Notes - Software Updates

I'd rather not go to wider tires or drop the air pressure to regain steering firmness as both of these options will harm efficiency.

Maybe it's just increasing assist at low speeds and the car will feel more like it did at highway speeds. (That's why a change like this should be documented in the release notes.) But we've all fallen a rung on Elon's priority list now, he got distracted by a new shiny object again.

Reactions: KerryOH
Upvote 0
I saw a similar thread the other day. I'm on the FSDBeta track, so I'm behind though.

Reactions: EcahRS
Upvote 0
I can confirm that the steering mode adjustment does not seem to be working for me. I feel a difference between comfort and standard modes, but no difference between standard and sport modes, with the sport mode being looser than it should be. I've driven a model 3 for 4 years and could definitely tell the sport mode steering is different and/or broken after once of the recent updates for 12.3. I have a service appointment for some other items and will be bringing this to their attention as well.

Upvote 0