Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sports mode steering feels significantly lighter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was out for 2 weeks and when I got back and started driving my model 3P, I could feel the steering wheel was not as heavy as before. My setting was in sports mode. Has anyone seen this behavior previously? Maybe worth mentioning my Tesla went through a software updates while I was gone, but nothing on the update log was about steering mode change.

It seems like it’s variable now. If it was before it was barely noticeable. I love it. Slow speeds it’s easy to turn, high speeds it’s firm like it should be. LOVE IT.
Ahh that is what most of us in the thread don't like!

Steering is naturally lighter at higher speed, heavier at lower speeds. It was great that the Model 3 power steering used to preserve this...before this latest software update.

Now the weighting feels extra artificial like on so many crappy power steering cars.

Upvote 0
I found this thread independently of the issue. I was at a stop light yesterday after updating to 2022.12 and thought "did my steering settings get reset?" — but I was still set to Sport. Steering got much lighter with this update, curious if that's intended or not.

Upvote 0
I found this thread independently of the issue. I was at a stop light yesterday after updating to 2022.12 and thought "did my steering settings get reset?" — but I was still set to Sport. Steering got much lighter with this update, curious if that's intended or not.
It better not be intentional. I hate how it feels now.

Upvote 0
It better not be intentional. I hate how it feels now.
I have a hard time understanding how it could be unintentional. That would actually be a bit scary... "whoops, we made a change that unintentionally altered the steering wheel". Could their software be that much spaghetti?

I actually suspect they've been rewriting it (which is a very poor choice). It's hard to understand all of the regressions otherwise. Someone would have to be intentionally altering a bunch of small behaviors. But it all adds up, and definitely has soured my ownership experience.

Reactions: sTuKat
Upvote 0
You've obviously not driven a car with hydraulic or no power steering:p.
Some hydraulic power steering systems also gave extra assist at low speeds...that's not really a hydraulic vs electric thing in my experience. More of a product decision I think, to cater the steering assist more for pinky parking than driving feel+experience.

Nowadays adjustable power assist like our cars have is common. That's what Comfort steering mode is for, and there's no reason to make Sport feel that way!

Upvote 0
Some hydraulic power steering systems also gave extra assist at low speeds...that's not really a hydraulic vs electric thing in my experience. More of a product decision I think, to cater the steering assist more for pinky parking than driving feel+experience.

Nowadays adjustable power assist like our cars have is common. That's what Comfort steering mode is for, and there's no reason to make Sport feel that way!
Yes. There definitely is a difference between hydraulic assisted rack and pinion power steering and drive-by-wire. One gives you great road feel and feedback, the other not so much.

Upvote 0