Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sports mode steering feels significantly lighter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was out for 2 weeks and when I got back and started driving my model 3P, I could feel the steering wheel was not as heavy as before. My setting was in sports mode. Has anyone seen this behavior previously? Maybe worth mentioning my Tesla went through a software updates while I was gone, but nothing on the update log was about steering mode change.

I opened a ticket with the SC, this morning they called me and canceled the appointment confirming that the change is active from the 12.3 update
Yet another bullshit by the Tesla nerds, the steering was absolutely perfect with the three driving modes
Now it is a city-car steering that is absolutely not suitable for a car with 500 Hp
Please complain to your SC! ! !

Upvote 0
I opened a ticket with the SC, this morning they called me and canceled the appointment confirming that the change is active from the 12.3 update
Yet another bullshit by the Tesla nerds, the steering was absolutely perfect with the three driving modes
Now it is a city-car steering that is absolutely not suitable for a car with 500 Hp
Please complain to your SC! ! !

My arms have atrophied from lack of use and now I've adapted to the steering feel haha.

It's interesting that they didn't add this change to the release notes. Must be one of those "let's make a change and see if anyone complains" moves.

Reactions: M3-Ita
Upvote 0
Please please please keep the pressure on via your preferred service center (our only official means of giving feedback to Tesla engineering/corporate that I know of).

Don't nag them every day and make them annoyed at you of course, but let's all keep checking in with them every few days or so to emphasize this is a serious regression in the car and we do expect engineering to respond to the issue & ultimately fix it.

Any updates to share?

Upvote 0
Any updates to share?
@Acejam I've no updates to share. My car has received a SW update or two since I last posted, currently on 2022.12.3.12, but the issue remains.

I think pressing this issue further, to get any real acknowledgement or response from Tesla engineering/corporate, would require insisting that your car is affected by an issue that needs fixing. Service would then need to do their due diligence of examining and testing your car, and you would need to fully convince them the change really happened, which could be difficult without ready access to a comparable car running older software.

If your car is unmodified and you have time for that, I and many others would greatly appreciate it!

Reactions: Collutio and TXDawg
Upvote 0
@Acejam I've no updates to share. My car has received a SW update or two since I last posted, currently on 2022.12.3.12, but the issue remains.

I think pressing this issue further, to get any real acknowledgement or response from Tesla engineering/corporate, would require insisting that your car is affected by an issue that needs fixing. Service would then need to do their due diligence of examining and testing your car, and you would need to fully convince them the change really happened, which could be difficult without ready access to a comparable car running older software.

If your car is unmodified and you have time for that, I and many others would greatly appreciate it!
I have already opened a service request for this and they responded by telling me to file a bug report, which I had already done. I replied back asking them to escalate to Engineering, and haven’t heard anything back yet.

Reactions: tm1v2
Upvote 0
I have already opened a service request for this and they responded by telling me to file a bug report, which I had already done. I replied back asking them to escalate to Engineering, and haven’t heard anything back yet.
File a bug report? Like by pressing the right wheel button?

Those bug reports don't leave the car. They go nowhere. They just add a log entry so the service center has a timestamp.

Edit: that's like them saying "go away"

Reactions: Birdsfan
Upvote 0
If you have other suggestions on how to escalate this I’m all ears.
Do you still have a scheduled service appointment for this issue? Bring it in, make them test it and examine it. Hopefully you can convince them it was a real change, and to actually open an issue with Tesla central/corporate about your specific car.

We could really use a friendly car enthusiast inside Tesla engineering to advocate for this as a real bug that needs fixing. Anyone know anyone?

Upvote 0
Do you still have a scheduled service appointment for this issue? Bring it in, make them test it and examine it. Hopefully you can convince them it was a real change, and to actually open an issue with Tesla central/corporate about your specific car.

We could really use a friendly car enthusiast inside Tesla engineering to advocate for this as a real bug that needs fixing. Anyone know anyone?
I still have the appointment, but there is zero chance I will ever let Tesla put their hands on my car again. Service centers around me are beyond horrible.

Upvote 0
I still have the appointment, but there is zero chance I will ever let Tesla put their hands on my car again. Service centers around me are beyond horrible.
@Acejam Ah sorry to hear that about bad service experiences. Do what's best and safest for you!

Tesla service in my area has been very good to us over the years. They're definitely a bit overwhelmed in recent years with the volume of 3+Y cars Tesla is churning out, but still trying to take good care of us.

But because I've modified my M3P's suspension and put on aftermarket wheels, all of which affected steering weight, I really cannot ask them to use my car for pushing hard on this issue with Tesla corporate. Yes I know this issue came from a software change, not my mods, but it would be really stretching things to ask service staff to go fully to bat on this using my modded car as the test case. (If I were them, I would probably refuse!)

Swapping back to stock just to escalate this issue has crossed my mind. I don't have time for that though, not now or in the foreseeable future, and I'm not paying a shop for 2x suspension swaps (stock then aftermarket again) just to escalate this (as much as I hate the overboosted steering - and I hate it a lot). If I hadn't installed my coilovers + bushing upgrades yet I'd probably swap back in my stock wheels though in order to properly escalate!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Small update to this: My local service center escalated this to a regional technician who did some remote diagnosis. They weren't able to find any faults, but they did escalate this to Tesla engineering. I received a response back this morning that Tesla engineering looked into it and is not aware of any recent steering changes. However an internal case has been opened, and additional information can be added to this case if others start to notice the issue and it becomes a trend.

All of my communications with the regional tech were via phone and they were very professional. They also definitely seemed to know what they were talking about, a very pleasant change from the staff at my service center.

The mystery continues...

• Helpful
Reactions: TXDawg and tm1v2
Upvote 0
Wow, that's really great you were able to get that far with clear responses and communication @Acejam, thank you. If the change was unintentional that gives hope for getting it reverted/fixed!

Is there any kind of case number I could reference, if I ask my service center to join in on the same escalation? Or maybe a contact name of either the regional tech or the engineer involved? (If a contract name please private message, don't post anyone's name publicly.)

Reactions: TXDawg
Upvote 0