Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sports mode steering feels significantly lighter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was out for 2 weeks and when I got back and started driving my model 3P, I could feel the steering wheel was not as heavy as before. My setting was in sports mode. Has anyone seen this behavior previously? Maybe worth mentioning my Tesla went through a software updates while I was gone, but nothing on the update log was about steering mode change.

Glad I haven't been the only one noticing the steering has gone a lot lighter for sports mode since 2022.12.x. I've picked up the China-made Model 3 RWD in Australia March 2022 and the sports steering had a pretty decent weight and resistance to it (I have owned multiple M3 in my past life, you know, the other brand of M3 with the optional indicators / blinkers. :) But suffice to say their steering weight was just a dream). Anyway, since the updates of 2022.12.x, I've noticed the sports steering is not much different to normal or comfort. Have already raised a ticket with our service centre and they replied with the standard "no change were recorded in those firmwares.. etc". I can't be certain if the China-made Model 3 had different geometry compared with the US-made, but I certainly don't think doing 3 months of driving with tyres wearing in, would make the steering feel lighter. Yes, I've deliberately tried with under-inflating the tyres from the recommended 41psi to 37psi all round, and then up to 45psi, all done on separate days before dawn to test this theory, but so far even with 37psi tyres, the steering is definitively lighter. Hope this is not the placebo effect people are referring to..

Reactions: TXDawg
Upvote 0
Small update to this: My local service center escalated this to a regional technician who did some remote diagnosis. They weren't able to find any faults, but they did escalate this to Tesla engineering. I received a response back this morning that Tesla engineering looked into it and is not aware of any recent steering changes. However an internal case has been opened, and additional information can be added to this case if others start to notice the issue and it becomes a trend.

All of my communications with the regional tech were via phone and they were very professional. They also definitely seemed to know what they were talking about, a very pleasant change from the staff at my service center.

The mystery continues...
@Acejam Any updates from your escalation to Tesla engineering?

Upvote 0
My 2022 MYP just got 2022.16.2 which softened the hek out of sport mode steering and regen - I'm a real fan of the previous sport mode - it's so mushy and floaty now like an old Buick Dynaride. Am going to ask my local folks what's up with that if I can manage to catch them before they go offline for the day

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
Upvote 0
My 2022 MYP just got 2022.16.2 which softened the hek out of sport mode steering and regen - I'm a real fan of the previous sport mode - it's so mushy and floaty now like an old Buick Dynaride. Am going to ask my local folks what's up with that if I can manage to catch them before they go offline for the day
@tribhuvanji I'm sorry the Y is suffering from this change now too. :(

Upvote 0
I just drove with 2022.6.3 for the first time. Same result as @tribhuvanji, no change that I noticed, still overboosted at low speeds.

@sTuKat Is your M3P fully stock? The steering always felt mushy to me when stock, even with the older software when it wasn't overboosted. It took bushing and suspension mods to fix that on mine.

(This is based on driving two October 2021 build M3P's, the demo car I tested and the car I bought, which felt exactly the same as the demo car when stock. I've read earlier M3P's had stiffer, sportier suspension tuning from the factory but I don't know if the steering was less mushy.)

Upvote 0
I’m almost positive stiffer sport steering was brought back in 2022.20.7.
Well, I was waiting for someone to post your comment. I was thinking perhaps I had been given a placebo or was just imagining what I wanted. To me also, one can make an extremely small movement of the wheel and the car responds immediately. Yesterday and today's drives on twisty roads have had added more fun back to the driving experience for me. Hopefully, folks will have a similar experience.

Upvote 0
To me also, one can make an extremely small movement of the wheel and the car responds immediately. Yesterday and today's drives on twisty roads have had added more fun back to driving experience for me. Hopefully, folks will have a similar experience.

It really seems to me that all SPORT does is artificially increase the amount of effort needed to steer the car. A "steering damper", so to speak. While I like the "feel" of a bit more effort, I don't see how it affects "responsiveness". To do that, wouldn't one need to have the settings affect the steering ratio?

That said, and at the risk of repeating myself, I find the SPORT setting perfect as is. I have not felt a significant change in feel through the last several software updates, but would not want the steering any heavier than SPORT is now and has been.

Upvote 0