Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sports mode steering feels significantly lighter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was out for 2 weeks and when I got back and started driving my model 3P, I could feel the steering wheel was not as heavy as before. My setting was in sports mode. Has anyone seen this behavior previously? Maybe worth mentioning my Tesla went through a software updates while I was gone, but nothing on the update log was about steering mode change.

I think we can make everyone happy...
It really seems to me that all SPORT does is artificially increase the amount of effort needed to steer the car. A "steering damper", so to speak. While I like the "feel" of a bit more effort, I don't see how it affects "responsiveness". To do that, wouldn't one need to have the settings affect the steering ratio?

That said, and at the risk of repeating myself, I find the SPORT setting perfect as is. I have not felt a significant change in feel through the last several software updates, but would not want the steering any heavier than SPORT is now and has been.

Out of curiosity, do you feel noticeable difference between standard and sport mode now?

Reactions: sTuKat
Upvote 0
I think we can make everyone happy...

Out of curiosity, do you feel noticeable difference between standard and sport mode now?

I haven’t tried STANDARD in ages. SPORT works for me, and we have some pretty twisty roads ‘round these parts. I’ll try STANDARD next time I think of it.

I think we subconsciously correlate firm with sporty. Probably because back in the day Buicks and the like were always overboosted and felt numb, where sports cars often used rack-and-pinion where effort was higher but so was responsiveness. Not sure with modern technology it’s necessary to choose one or the other, but firm still feels more “right” - at least to me.

Upvote 0
I used to have a car with no power steering. This model 3 really takes me back to that feeling: the car turns WHEN I turn it, and goes straight by default. This feel really sold the model 3 to me. (I prefer it over the model S because that drives like a boat)
@squareblock As the owner of a Model S (early 2013) and a Model 3 (late 2021) I understand and agree completely. :)

If you ever get a chance to drive a Model S P85+, or an early P85D when they still had the Plus-like suspension tuning, you'll be surprised how much sharper and sportier they feel, even the steering was really firmed up and more responsive. Model 3 is still more fun and nimble of course, the S is a big boi!

Upvote 0
I played around with all the steering modes modes today.

Conclusion: At speed, around 60 mph, the difference in steering effort is very, very subtle. At a standstill, however, it’s very obvious how much boost Comfort and Standard have compared to Sport. The effect diminishes with speed. I could happily live with Standard but overall like Sport just as it is.

Upvote 0
I played around with all the steering modes modes today.

Conclusion: At speed, around 60 mph, the difference in steering effort is very, very subtle. At a standstill, however, it’s very obvious how much boost Comfort and Standard have compared to Sport. The effect diminishes with speed. I could happily live with Standard but overall like Sport just as it is.
That may be, but before this update the steering on all modes was more firm. There doesn't seem to be a lot of widespread complaints (like v11), but some of us have noticed. I really don't like that Tesla thinks this sort of thing is okay. It makes me concerned for the future.

Reactions: dasn
Upvote 0
Data point: With 2022.20.7 on my October 2021 M3P, Standard still feels overboosted at low speeds compared to what I remember from before this issue.

I'll do some driving with Sport steering mode next. I was using Sport mode when I first got 2022.20.7 though, and didn't notice any change, i.e. it still seemed overboosted at low speeds too. A run through the twisties with a hairpin or three will get a clearer picture though.

Upvote 0
Just tried .7...

I'm pretty sure sport mode got even lighter. I think it feels even lighter than the original standard mode.

Sad. I actually drove my car with no destination just because of it's such a pleasure. I don't feel it anymore.
@squareblock Ever since 2022.12.3.1 Sport mode *is* lighter than Standard used to be, at least at lower speeds.

(To me the steering weight is still good at higher speeds, it's only low speeds where I have issue with the new power steering programming.)

Upvote 0