TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Sports often overshadow academics

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by SW2Fiddler, Sep 10, 2015.

1. SW2Fiddler

SW2Fiddler Bannd Member

Not everyone. Some of us see school and state budgets for arts and sciences withering away and it's hard to be very enthused about hand-egg (it's not a ball, and rarely manipulated with the foot) contests looking like the reason colleges exist. [/GRUMPYDAD]

2. Electricfan

Electricfan Member

Outside the USA its not football at all - got to be careful when overseas talking sports... I agree the money is out of whack. Emphasis on sports is not right. Still can't help myself though - love watching the games.

3. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin Model S Perf Sig 1055

Moderator note: We are starting to veer off-topic. Please, let's keep the discussion about the Tallahassee Supercharger Station.

Thanks.

Larry

4. Lawsteve

Lawsteve MCATDT

While taking update photos this weekend at the Tallahassee supercharger site, I will think about the following comment:
    I agree that sports often overshadow academics. I support the athletics at FSU, but I also endowed a scholarship fund, based solely upon academic performance (both grades, participation in scholarly organizations, and accomplishments outside the classroom) to provide an annual scholarship payment for a member of the FSU Marching Band (the "Marching Chiefs") who is not a music major - they make up approximately 75% of the band.

Hopefully the $$ will help a student to excel, purchase a Tesla in the future, and make good use of the Tallahassee supercharger.

Sorry Larry, I just couldn't resist!

5. jrreno

jrreno Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile

Lawsteve, I will so be looking forward to seeing some pictures added to this thread that are actually relevant to the Supercharger progress! I keep checking in hoping to see where its at.

6. Lawsteve

Lawsteve MCATDT

I plan to visit the site this weekend while in Tsllahassee for the FSU game. I'll try to post without pissing off Larry this time!

It's tough being a smart ass, but I just can't resist the temptation at times.

7. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

!
    I'm not American, so maybe that's why I hate college sports. Oh for an NFL U-21 league.

And I think it's great to see another Supercharger fill another gap to make driving less restricted.

8. SeminoleFSU

SeminoleFSU Member

You're dead on... and the worst part about this is where most of the "money" comes from (see my avatar)

But despite knowing it's all a giant spectacle to distract and divert our attention from reality like a roman colosseum, I love to watch it. :)

9. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin Model S Perf Sig 1055

Hi Steve,

You could never piss me off. :wink:

We created this special off topic thread for you and others to wax philosophical on the subject without disrupting the Tallahassee Supercharger thread.

You can see that others are participating in the new thread.

Regards,

Larry

10. SW2Fiddler

SW2Fiddler Bannd Member

11. djplong

djplong Member

In 39 out of 50 states, college football or basketball coaches are the highest paid public employees in the state.

Infographic: Is Your States Highest-Paid Employee A Coach? (Probably)

The other 11?

College President - Alaska, Montana, Vermont, New Hampshire, Delaware
    Medical School - Nevada (Plastic Surgeon), North & South Dakota (Dean), New York (Department Chair), Massachusetts (Chancellor)
    Law School Dean - Maine

12. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

School taxes are over 50% of the property tax here. I reckon about 90% of that 50% goes to sports. Every high school has a very costly sign promoting how good they are at sports. Unfortunately, sports in school teaches two things: 1) Might makes right. 2) Studying is for losers because professional sports doesn't require education. Sports in school is fine if the parents pay 100% of the costs--including land, buildings and salaries.

Of course, where I live the religious right has altered the textbooks so perhaps it's for the best that they don't learn from them.

13. atlg8or

atlg8or Model S 2x

Wow, didn't realize my jest comment about college football would generate such discussion. I probably should have said, "Aren't many in the Southeastern U.S. glad that college football season has started?" :wink:

As a side note, while agreed that college football and basketball have become big business, the passion for these sports also generate terrific alumni engagement, which are strongly tied to significant endowments and other gifts, which then allow universities to continue to lead academic research and other noble callings. These sports also contribute to (arguably) a rich college experience for both student athletes and other students who love following various sports.

No queston the balance has become out of whack on sports vs academics in many cases, but I'm grateful that at UF, both of these strengths contribute toward each other in many ways people often don't recognize. Go Gators!

14. Zextraterrestrial

Pro sports really bothers me now. Growing up I played futbol, there is no promotion for this in the states? Baseball and football are so tiring to hear about from my peers. I stop taking walks with friends at work during the sports seasons because that is all they talk about. Politics and pro sports and 'news' -3 things I dislike
    And really ignant people
    We couldn't have played sports and been engineers at our school, the only person who managed to do a sport did x country running...

15. burkevalocks

burkevalocks Member

That is crazy i had no idea. That is really great information.