Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spotify Album / Artist sorting??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just signed up for a 6 month Spotify trial to test it out (while I hopefully wait for Apple Music integration). I migrated all my albums and artists from Apple Music into my Spotify trial.... Looking at the albums and artists in my Model 3, they are a jumbled mess! Is there really NO way to sort these alphabetically???

Yeah - the implementation really seems to suck IMO... and I guess this is somewhat one Spotify here but I'm finding the lack of ability to Like / Dislike songs to train it's suggestions for me to be a big pain point as well. As an Apple Music subscriber I'm finding Spotify to really be behind the curve.

The Spotify interface in the car is indeed lacking compared to the phone app. However, you can control the music played in the car from the Spotify phone app using Spotify Connect. I have found that randomized playback is much more reliable when done this way.

Here is how to use this method:
  1. Open Spotify on your phone.
  2. Select Spotify on the car.
  3. Start playing something (doesn't matter what, because we about to control playback from the phone).
  4. The phone will give you a notification that Spotify is playing on the Tesla Media Player and asks if you want to continue playback or play on your phone instead. Select the option to continue.
  5. Choose the music you want on your phone and enjoy!

Last edited:
The Spotify interface in the car is indeed lacking compared to the phone app. However, you can control the music played in the car from the Spotify phone app using Spotify Connect. I have found that randomized playback is much more reliable when done this way.

3. Start playing something (doesn't matter what, because we about to control playback from the phone).
  4. The phone will give you a notification that Spotify is playing on the Tesla Media Player and asks if you want to continue playback or play on your phone instead. Select the option to continue.
Ah. That’s helpful. Useful until it gets some tweaks. Or maybe that’s why it is the way it is :)

Whats the difference in doing this vs just listening to spotify on your phone using the "phone" selection on the tesla and bluetooth? What does this get you, that doing it that way doesnt (since you are still controling with your phone, not the car).?

Whats the difference in doing this vs just listening to spotify on your phone using the "phone" selection on the tesla and bluetooth? What does this get you, that doing it that way doesnt (since you are still controling with your phone, not the car).?

There are several advantages:

1. Not using your phone data plan.
2. Not using your phone battery.
3. Better sound quality as you don't do lossy encoding twice.
4. Better album art - with Bluetooth sometimes the album art comes up wrong.
5. You can still use the car control to skip forward / backward etc.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
There are several advantages:

1. Not using your phone data plan.
2. Not using your phone battery.
3. Better sound quality as you don't do lossy encoding twice.
4. Better album art - with Bluetooth sometimes the album art comes up wrong.
5. You can still use the car control to skip forward / backward etc.

Ok, thanks for the explanation. Makes sense... but I normally listen now through spotify through the car, after it spotify started finally working in my car directly instead of just "swirling".

I have a "dont touch my phone while driving" policy. I dont mind texting etc as long as I can do it through the car itself, instead of picking up my phone.

Resurrecting an old thread here. It is really annoying the way they implemented Spotify on the Tesla console. To have some of the features all the other Spotify UI's offer, but hardly any of the more commonly-used ones (search in your library, sort, etc.) is short-sighted. Does anyone know whether it is Spotify or Tesla who is responsible for the hobbled functionality?

I believe it’s Tesla if I’m not mistaken. I’ve read other threads on forums where people contacted Spotify and they stated it was Tesla that needed to fix the issue. I agree the interface is not intuitive and needs a lot of work. Artists not in alphabetical order makes it difficult to find what you want. I’d prefer to have it listed just like my artists off my usb drive. And the loading issue of your personal library is really annoying. I timed it and basically when I start my car up from being asleep, it takes 6 minutes before I can load my library. That’s pretty crappy if you ask me. Elon is on Twitter asking what games he should add next. How about taking care of the features already on the car before adding more issues. That’s my take on it anyways.

Reactions: grmdl3