Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spotify and streaming data SR+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I did a forum search and couldn’t quite get the answer but apologies if I missed it. I’m in the queue for a SR+ but according to Tesla website streaming/data is for the full premium interior only. Does the Standard range plus in the UK include any data and does it let you stream Spotify / maps and traffic without being connected to a phone hotspot or Bluetooth/WiFi? Without car play it will be a real nuisance if it cannot!

As of v10, Spotify is available for SR+ owners and is streamable over the inbuilt LTE connection. (as is Netflix, YouTube and Caraoke). There is meant to be a premium connectivity upgrade coming but that still hasn't materialised in any sort of concrete way.

The only thing you're missing now, from a connectivity perspective, is the satellite map and the display of live traffic on that map.

Reactions: BZM3
Ok that’s great, thank you for the info. Does this mean even if they remove it you could still use Spotify over a Personal Hotspot connection whilst driving? It’s quite hard to understand with everything changing!

No. Even if they removed Spotify the car would still have an LTE connection. All Model 3s have an LTE connection regardless of model/spec.

Basically what's been added (temporarily) in v10 is the actual Spotify functionality within the Model 3's software.

If they did remove it again the only way to use Spotify would be on a mobile device connected to the car with Bluetooth. You get next/play/pause/previous controls that way, but no searching or browsing for music.

But from what it sounds like is that Tesla are giving it to everyone at the moment to monitor usage and figure out price plans, and in the future charge people for data plans/Spotify connectivity. So chances are you will be able to keep Spotify in the future but you'll have to pay extra (or maybe more) for it if you had an SR+.

Thank you again for your replies everyone. This got me thinking, does the SR+ lose anything else like Tesla Arcade in terms of pure software?

I have no problem with the partial premium interior but it’s not too obvious what little bits are missing from the software! Worst case using Spotify direct via Bluetooth is possible but really having full access over a hotspot is much preferable. Does Spotify on the car let you sign in to your account?

Thank you again for your replies everyone. This got me thinking, does the SR+ lose anything else like Tesla Arcade in terms of pure software?

I have no problem with the partial premium interior but it’s not too obvious what little bits are missing from the software! Worst case using Spotify direct via Bluetooth is possible but really having full access over a hotspot is much preferable. Does Spotify on the car let you sign in to your account?

- no interior ambient lights in the foot wells (physically there but software limited)
- no front fog lights (sometimes physically there but software limited)
- no rear heated seats (physically there but software limited)
- No subwoofer, parcel shelf speaker (both not physically present) and front column speakers not activated via software
- no satellite maps (software limited)
- no display of traffic colours on the map although it uses traffic data when calculating the route (software limited)

The thinking is that we may see some of these purely software limited functions made available for upgrade at a later date but don’t take that to the bank.

As of V10, most of the software limitations are no longer present. V10 added the following to SR+ modes that did not have them before when the LE and P modes did:

- web browser
- Spotify
- streaming of media over LTE (albeit for an ambiguous limited time as someone mentioned above)

Hope that helps!

• Informative
Reactions: MacPaul
Always surprised me that they did not make FSD a Pay as you Go option.
I am leasing my car so no chance I would pay full whack for FSD - bu tI might like to switch it on and off on a monthly basis.
I guess that most people would switch it off !