Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spotify app in v10 not quite ready

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm just curious if they allowed a higher bitrate than the 64 with slacker. I haven't even gotten the update yet so I can't even do an ear test.
The Spotify app streams at 96 kbps (see here).

While the app is clearly lacking in functionality compared to the phone app, I rarely have the playback issues some of you guys are reporting. I suspect this may be related to bad cellular coverage in some areas and that the app isn't robust enough in handling intermittent connectivity issues.

• Informative
Reactions: hydro 481
The Spotify app streams at 96 kbps (see here).

While the app is clearly lacking in functionality compared to the phone app, I rarely have the playback issues some of you guys are reporting. I suspect this may be related to bad cellular coverage in some areas and that the app isn't robust enough in handling intermittent connectivity issues.
Thank you. 96kbps is disappointing.

I don't understand. I've been using it forever on my X and just set it up on my Model 3. You set up your account on the slacker web site, and the use those creds to log in, in the car. Slacker Plus is still an option. Works fine.
What the previous poster probably meant is that the Tesla Slacker client no longer has an option to increase the bitrate even if your subscription level would support it (used to be possible up to 128kbps), so using your own subscription will not increase the audio quality.

At the end of the day this is about what Tesla has to pay for the cellular bandwidth. Perhaps they'll offer a paid premium service at some point. Personally I find Spotify's 96 kbps Vorbis adequate for a car (it's also their default bitrate on mobile clients, but there the user can increase it).

What the previous poster probably meant is that the Tesla Slacker client no longer has an option to increase the bitrate even if your subscription level would support it (used to be possible up to 128kbps), so using your own subscription will not increase the audio quality.

At the end of the day this is about what Tesla has to pay for the cellular bandwidth. Perhaps they'll offer a paid premium service at some point. Personally I find Spotify's 96 kbps Vorbis adequate for a car (it's also their default bitrate on mobile clients, but there the user can increase it).

Ok, I didn't notice that was gone. They took all that excessive bandwidth and gave it to Netflix I guess. Go figure. ;)

I had intermittent Spotify after 32.12.2 firmware update, music wouldn’t stream if you did too many skips, would only play a single song even though there were many on the play list, would just stop streaming with the activity indicator spinning endlessly. To fix some of these issues I would go to Slacker get audio streaming again and then it would work in Spotify again. All of these issues were resolved by doing a hard reset of the car, now Spotify seems to work reliably.

Exactly.

It kinda seems like the Spotify implementation was done as a last second rush job...

Spotify has been in the software for years

The European folks have been complaining about it having issues for those same years.

it's not new.

The only thing new is enabling access to it for cars in North America (a couple folks in NA even had it enabled in the past in various ways on earlier SW versions)

Right. I was referring to the higher bitrate, which is no longer an option.

And never was one on the 3

And even when it was one on the S/X it was never anywhere near the 384kb/s the previous poster suggested.

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier
Spotify has been in the software for years

The European folks have been complaining about it having issues for those same years.

it's not new.

The only thing new is enabling access to it for cars in North America (a couple folks in NA even had it enabled in the past in various ways on earlier SW versions)
Darn it... I had posted that before I read the thread, and came across your initial post stating that, which was upstream of my post. And of course, by the time I had read your post, it was too late to edit mine.

Curious why it took them so long to get it on this side of the Atlantic.

Darn it... I had posted that before I read the thread, and came across your initial post stating that, which was upstream of my post. And of course, by the time I had read your post, it was too late to edit mine.

Curious why it took them so long to get it on this side of the Atlantic.

Allegedly slacker has an exclusivity agreement with Tesla in NA- there was speculation for years about how long said exclusive agreement was for- I suppose now we have a decent idea when it ran out :)

Reactions: Phlier
I had intermittent Spotify after 32.12.2 firmware update, music wouldn’t stream if you did too many skips, would only play a single song even though there were many on the play list, would just stop streaming with the activity indicator spinning endlessly. To fix some of these issues I would go to Slacker get audio streaming again and then it would work in Spotify again. All of these issues were resolved by doing a hard reset of the car, now Spotify seems to work reliably.

How do you do a hard reset?

How do you play a "station" in Spotify? All I can find is lists that never change, same lists, same songs all the time. I just want to play classic rock, 90's, edm, classical, pop, metal, etc... There is a stations tab on the main screen, but it is totally blank.

Lot of good stuff on this thread. I'll disable my phone from taking over to see if that helps. I would also think that poor cell coverage might be a culprit, but I've had the spinning reaction on Spotify in great cell coverage areas. And I know good ones from bad ones - I live in a rural area. I;m very hopeful we'll see an update in future software releases. Otherwise, I probably won;t use Spotify from the car, but stream the app from my phone.

How do you play a "station" in Spotify? All I can find is lists that never change, same lists, same songs all the time. I just want to play classic rock, 90's, edm, classical, pop, metal, etc... There is a stations tab on the main screen, but it is totally blank.
Pick a song by an artist and when its done playing that song it will continue on a station playing similar songs. Its easy to do.

Reactions: Guest