Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spotify: Bluetooth vs Tesla built in app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One thing to know, the streaming quality vs the quality of a song stored on the phone can differ. Those are two separate config on iOS. I always found a song stored on the phone to have the best quality, even with the same setting selected for both streaming and stored music.

The other thing I noticed over the years, a song downloaded or cached when setting was in low quality might not always be recached / redownloaded if you change the setting to a higher quality. Spotify have an option to clear the cache.

very good point, makes it even more difficult to decipher what the best quality source really is

I lose my Waze police alerts if i use the car app AND get lower streaming quality if i use the car app, so no.

Phone connected via BT, downloaded playlist at highest quality, Waze running in bg for alerts = next best thing besides Android Auto / Carplay.

Reactions: destructure00
I lose my Waze police alerts if i use the car app AND get lower streaming quality if i use the car app, so no.

Phone connected via BT, downloaded playlist at highest quality, Waze running in bg for alerts = next best thing besides Android Auto / Carplay.

You should be able to make the Waze alerts either use BT Phone Audio (iOS) or phone speaker (Android) and still use the car app. I do agree at this time BT trumps in-car app.

Does anyone have issues with the Tesla spotify app often hanging and just circling and not playing music? It then changes the song on the spotify on my phone and after being frustrated for a few minutes, I just listen on my phone anyway.

Has anyone figured out why this happens?

Reactions: dvaz

Same here. I used the car app for a day or two until I realized Waze alerts were gone, back to BT.

Reactions: dvaz
One thing to know, the streaming quality vs the quality of a song stored on the phone can differ. Those are two separate config on iOS. I always found a song stored on the phone to have the best quality, even with the same setting selected for both streaming and stored music.

The other thing I noticed over the years, a song downloaded or cached when setting was in low quality might not always be recached / redownloaded if you change the setting to a higher quality. Spotify have an option to clear the cache.

I have a few favorite songs cached in the "tesla" music app that are incomplete, which is kind of a bummer. I was unable to find a way to clear them out - anyone have ideas?

Does anyone have issues with the Tesla spotify app often hanging and just circling and not playing music? It then changes the song on the spotify on my phone and after being frustrated for a few minutes, I just listen on my phone anyway.

Has anyone figured out why this happens?

My guess is that it happens Bc your internet signal to the car is going through weak zones —I notice in car Spotify app hang up on songs when the LTE signal is only 1 bar — when it’s 2+ bars, Spotify seems to work fine

Reactions: Jazz_MIII
It is very dissapointing to have such a wonderfully engineered sound system in my new X that totally goes to waster, and I can't usb my phone for the best quality. I didn't plan on pulling out the old time machine to advance 10 years earlier so I could pull together old lossless AAC files to put onto a usb drive, just to listen to music the way it was supposed to be heard. I sure hope we can get this together soon.

Reactions: rjpjnk
The iPhone 10/11 transcode audio to 256kbps AAC for streaming over Bluetooth.

As far as I know, the only way to experience Spotify’s full “extreme quality” (16-bit 44.1khz @ 320kbps) on an iPhone is with wired headphones.

You can also experience Spotify’s full “extreme quality” on most other newer cars with a great sound system that simply allows you to connect to your phone thru usb.

To all those claiming that they hear the in car app has better quality than their phone app, consider that you might be getting confused with the sound being louder. I've noticed that when streaming BT from my phone the audio is a little quieter than other sources (radio, in car spotify, etc). I run my android spotify on the highest quality setting, and the difference between that and the in-car app is night and day. BT is a little quieter, but loooaaads better quality. Very easily heard in the complex high end frequencies (i.e. drum cymbals, distorted guitars, etc). In-car app sounds very low bitrate and trashy. It's quite harsh.

Four weeks into my delivery window for my first Tesla Model 3 and I'm incredibly saddened by this thread. As an audiophile, I was so excited when Tesla integrated Spotify into the MCU and also loved seeing all the comments about how great the premium sound system is. I really hope Tesla improves the bitrate allowed through the Spotify app.

Reactions: rjpjnk
Four weeks into my delivery window for my first Tesla Model 3 and I'm incredibly saddened by this thread. As an audiophile, I was so excited when Tesla integrated Spotify into the MCU and also loved seeing all the comments about how great the premium sound system is. I really hope Tesla improves the bitrate allowed through the Spotify app.
Not wishing to be funny - but Audiophile and Spotify (or most streaming services) seem incongruent.
I used Spotify for music selection, definitely not sound quality. I have local music files for that.