Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spotify: Bluetooth vs Tesla built in app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This method will tell you the bitrate Spotify is using over wifi, but not over Tesla LTE. These can be different.

They can be- but if it's crap bitrate over wifi you can be pretty sure it's NOT higher with LTE.

Last I knew folks checking actual data transfer that way did not find Spotify (or any of the various streaming services available in a Tesla) streaming anywhere near 320kb/s over even wifi (this was before tidal existed, and many SW versions ago though).

The difference between in-car Spotify and bluetooth used to be very obvious. BT was vastly better. Now I can't really tell the difference. I've been doing a bunch of comparisons the last couple of weeks; BT vs in-car wifi vs in-car LTE vs USB 320kbps. I'm now convinced that we're getting 320kbps Spotify via LTE.
This is exciting news! I hope you are right. Wish there was a way to measure the LTE bitrate to confirm...
I read most of the greentheonly thread you linked and clearly many people are saying the audio got a lot better, but it is not clear if this is with or without Immersive Sound enabled. In your testing was Immersive Sound disabled?

Reactions: Sporty
This is exciting news! I hope you are right. Wish there was a way to measure the LTE bitrate to confirm...
I read most of the greentheonly thread you linked and clearly many people are saying the audio got a lot better, but it is not clear if this is with or without Immersive Sound enabled. In your testing was Immersive Sound disabled?

Also humans are notoriously poor measuring devices- especially if they're testing after being told it improved.

• Funny
Reactions: DelPhonic1
I've had to resort to streaming Spotify from my phone because podcasts... do not work. Even after the Christmas update -- music works, podcasts do not.

Also, there's the issue that Spotify on the phone won't play right away, you have to switch to another app, hit play, stop, then switch back to Spotify to get it to play.

:confused:

Also humans are notoriously poor measuring devices- especially if they're testing after being told it improved.
I would normally agree with you, except that over the last couple of years, there have been several SW updates that people have claimed made the sound better. Each time I would check, and each time it was extremely obvious to me that it was still terrible. I won't claim to be able to pick the exact bitrate, but I can easily pick the difference between 96 and 256+, with the right music.

For WiFi you could always setup Wireshark and do some analysis with that connection. Doesn't exactly answer if anything different happens when Tesla is operating over its cellular connection. But at least might answer the question how much traffic is occurring between the car and Spotify/Tidal when streaming.

I've had to resort to streaming Spotify from my phone because podcasts... do not work. Even after the Christmas update -- music works, podcasts do not.

Also, there's the issue that Spotify on the phone won't play right away, you have to switch to another app, hit play, stop, then switch back to Spotify to get it to play.

:confused:
My Spotify will average 4-6 day lag when attempting to update daily Podcasts. Today I will attempt to list to Podcasts on Tune in. (fingers crossed)