Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spotify finally coming to US Tesla vehicles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I assume there is lost of audio fidelity when you stream via bluetooth vs a native built in solution. Although it’s probably too marginal for most people to notice.

Currently the in-car streaming (slacker) is 64 kb/sec.

Bluetooth should be better than that.

Though if quality is your primary goal then using FLAC on a USB key is going to be much better than either.

There are always coding teams, not everyone works on everything. Saying "do this and not that" is rarely an accurate statement from someone who does not know the roles and team structures.

The people working on fluff things like Spotify and games are most likely junior devs or interns. They are not pulling people from the Automation team for example to implement Spotify.

Reactions: DDotJ and PoitNarf
Also, there should be almost no work to do... Spotify is already there and default in Europe. All they need to do is flip a bit to enable it. Seems like a very easy win.

That depends.

Does the European version require an owner to have their own account or does it work like Slacker in NA where there's a "Tesla" account used by default?

If it's the later than it'd require Tesla to create, and manage, all the new NA accounts.

• Funny
Reactions: pchilds
Currently the in-car streaming (slacker) is 64 kb/sec.

Bluetooth should be better than that.

Though if quality is your primary goal then using FLAC on a USB key is going to be much better than either.
I wonder what bitrate European Teslas are getting with integrated Spotify? I know mobile version (IOS/Android) gets 320kbps. If both are getting the same max bitrate, would adding bluetooth to that chain lower audio quality on the mobile side? I assume you have to get some type of audio loss when using bluetooth.

I would be happy if they just enabled a default internet radio toggle. Default is current, slaker subscription provided by tesla. If you switch to Spotify, you'd need to log in. Since the Spotify player is already built for Europe, would be easy as a toggle. For people that don't hate slacker, absolutely nothing changes. For people that already have Spotify sub, plug in login and good to go. Hopefully they can implement this with almost no new work.

Implementing some Apple Car Play and Android Auto is the best solution for Tesla IMO. They don't have to pay for data (phone data is used) and people can get the actual app they want.

At WWDC, Apple listed many changes for Car Play in iOS 13. One the smallest changes mentioned was Adjustable screen size and Irregular screen size support. For me, it's the kind of feature Tesla probably need to actually implement Car Play into the big car screen while not taking the whole screen away (some sort of PIP mode).

iOS 13 Preview - Features - Apple (CA)
Capture.PNG

Reactions: PoitNarf
I’d rather have carplay/Android auto, or at least make the Bluetooth connectivity competent with playlist browsing, messaging, etc.

Could not give less of a crap about Spotify, slacker, or any other music rental service. I have owned content via my phone and audible.com that is accessed in the same way as cars from over a decade ago. Pathetic.
I feel pretty much the same. Now, what would be AWESOME is if the suite of Tesla apps included Audible and did a more credible job interfacing with Google Music. The only access to my Android phone appears to be solely via bluetooth. My prior Priuses saw the music and books I had on my iPhone.

Spotify would be really nice but I'd rather see some waze data in the native Tesla Nav first. As it stands right now I have to run Tesla Nav on top and Tesla Waze in browser on the lower half. In order to really get a good spotify experience in the car, it needs to go below the Tesla Nav which means I lose TW. I'm not giving up tesla waze over Spotify because I already have Spotify over BT via my phone. Yes, I could run Waze on my phone and put it in a phone cradle some where suctioned to the dash, but that means I have to have my phone screen on with GPS (chewing battery) which means I gotta have my phone plugged into a charger.. now I have wires danging all over the place.. no thanks.

Step 1: Add waze data elements into Tesla Nav so I can see cops/speed traps/accidents
Step 2: Add the ability to install music apps via an SDK (opens up everything not just spotify)
Step 3: ....
Step 4: Profit.

For me, the Spotify app on my Pixel 2 XL is a bit janky and pretty buggy. Sometimes when I hit play/pause via the steering wheel, it won't actually stop on my phone.

Basically, it would be the convenience of it and the integration between my Spotify account and the car. The ability to repeat a song or start it over would also be really nice. Also would love to be able to ask the car to play an album and have it actually play the album all the way through.

If it could also play podcasts from Spotify, that would also be a huge plus too.

Not sure what the fascination with Spotify is.
Exactly iPhoney cult - like.

I have a P2XL also & use the Spotify app in my GTI & it's a crappy app in that car or for that matter any other car.
I've contacted both Spotify & Waze when they integrated there & that was a buggy crapy fest also - to see what can be done & basically I stopped asking after a long while.

So how it would improve by an Tesla integration - I am not sure it's Tesla who can help as much as Spotify has some work to do overall.

So just by getting the basic blocking & tackling right is a Spotify weakness.
Then they can address the crappy suggestion AI they have...

Last edited: