TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Spotify for Australia

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by Astroboy747, Dec 21, 2015.

1. Astroboy747

Astroboy747 Member

2. raynewman

raynewman Member

No - RDIO still working for me.

3. doctorwho

doctorwho Member

Great news, I can use my existing account. Just be aware though if other family members use the same Spotifyy account then only one user can be active at any one time

4. lennier

lennier Member

I thought the premium accounts allowed at least a couple of devices? Or is that an extra payment?

5. Astroboy747

Astroboy747 Member

It looks like you don't need an account to use it in your Tesla. They struck a deal that allows unlimited usage of Spotify Premium for no cost to the owner. But of course it would be good to manage playlists and that.

6. lennier

lennier Member

Yes the default account is a premium one, but they explicitly say you can use your own premium account and get your existing playlists etc, which is great.

7. TesAus

TesAus Member

I wonder when the software update will start rolling out? (Email from Tesla suggests today......)

You would think they need to do it sharpish given rdio is due to die tomorrow?

8. omniwolf

omniwolf eNizl

Premium account can only play from one device at a time (source).

However: 1) Does playing in the Tesla count as a device? I'd assume so but you never know
    2) you can play in two places at once if you create an offline playlist, then put your phone in airplane mode. You can then play on your phone (only the offline songs, obviously), and on the online device (the Tesla)

If there's anyone considering signing up to a Spotify account because of this change, I'd recommend you do it now - you can get 3 months premium access for $1 right now (offer ends December 31st)
    I'm guessing having your own spotify account will be the only way you can setup playlists outside of the car...

9. EcoCloudIT

EcoCloudIT Member

I assume Spotify has a multi-device (family) account much like Apple Music?

-ECIT

10. omniwolf

omniwolf eNizl

yes, but it's just separate accounts that one person pays for. the playlists and history etc are all separate

11. tassie

tassie Member

I'm not sure if this means anything. Just today I received an e-mail from Spotify. It seems to be a regular mailout to subscribers to its service, which is interesting in that I've never used their service, nor visited their web site. In fact, I didn't even know what Spotify was till this week. :)

I'm assuming Tesla must have registered me, perhaps? Is anyone else in the same boat?

12. ColdCoast

ColdCoast Member

Hi All, am a newb to posting on this forum, although I have been quietly reading for some time. I got really excited when I received Monday's email about the move to Spotify. Kept checking the car every few hours. Then Wednesday came and RDIO left the building. It's now Friday (Merry Christmas, everyone!) and still nothing. Yes, I have learnt that Tesla's definition of "today" might be "soon" or some day in the future. However, nobody else on this forum seems to be complaining - so am I the unlucky last who hasn't received the upgrade yet? Is there anything I need to do to activate or download the update (only had the car for 3 weeks, so have never been through the upgrade process). The guy from technical support on the 1800 number was pretty clueless himself. So anybody in Oz who has received the update yet? Many thanks! CC

13. lennier

lennier Member

I don't think you're Robinson Crusoe, haven't heard of anyone worldwide that's received it yet. Silence is probably a combination of Christmas and people being used to Tesla over-promising. It's baffling why they keep setting themselves up for this rather than just announcing things when they really are going to deliver them! It's expectation management 101 for a company you'd think. At least we know they will get there eventually :)

14. meloccom

meloccom Moderator Aus/NZ

No update here but I use Tune-in far more than I used RDIO.

15. doctorwho

doctorwho Member

'Today' is not an expression to be understood in a literal sense. It's a 'Tesla today' and that means that it'll happen but soon. OK, maybe not soon but whenever.

16. 917Stark

917Stark Member

I think it was three weeks after the autopilot announcement that we received the update. So mid January seems like par this time. As always, once it arrives we'll all forget about the wait.

17. wpapua

wpapua Member

Welcome Cold Coast, No longer a lurker ? Nothing to do with Spotify, but good to see another Model S in town ! No doubt we will meet up sometime. It's only a small place !

18. ColdCoast

ColdCoast Member

Hi Wpapua, And thanks to all who answered my first post! I've been keeping an eye out for the signature red, alas, haven't spotted you yet. Looking forward to catching up some time! Have a Happy Holiday and all the best for 2016! CC

19. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

Bear in mind, a number of different calendars exist. Other than the Gregorian that we use here in oz, there is the Hebrew calendar. It begins in September, so when they say this year, that could give them til next September or so. Similarly with " today", who knows what that means, given that this is the first time I have seen them use that term in 5 years that I have been around!!

20. TesAus

TesAus Member

Maybe "today" was an autocorrect for "two day" and we will get it on the 2nd January?