Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spotify for Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It looks like you don't need an account to use it in your Tesla. They struck a deal that allows unlimited usage of Spotify Premium for no cost to the owner. But of course it would be good to manage playlists and that.

Yes the default account is a premium one, but they explicitly say you can use your own premium account and get your existing playlists etc, which is great.

I thought the premium accounts allowed at least a couple of devices? Or is that an extra payment?

Premium account can only play from one device at a time (source).

However: 1) Does playing in the Tesla count as a device? I'd assume so but you never know
2) you can play in two places at once if you create an offline playlist, then put your phone in airplane mode. You can then play on your phone (only the offline songs, obviously), and on the online device (the Tesla)

If there's anyone considering signing up to a Spotify account because of this change, I'd recommend you do it now - you can get 3 months premium access for $1 right now (offer ends December 31st)
I'm guessing having your own spotify account will be the only way you can setup playlists outside of the car...

I'm not sure if this means anything. Just today I received an e-mail from Spotify. It seems to be a regular mailout to subscribers to its service, which is interesting in that I've never used their service, nor visited their web site. In fact, I didn't even know what Spotify was till this week. :)

I'm assuming Tesla must have registered me, perhaps? Is anyone else in the same boat?

Hi All, am a newb to posting on this forum, although I have been quietly reading for some time. I got really excited when I received Monday's email about the move to Spotify. Kept checking the car every few hours. Then Wednesday came and RDIO left the building. It's now Friday (Merry Christmas, everyone!) and still nothing. Yes, I have learnt that Tesla's definition of "today" might be "soon" or some day in the future. However, nobody else on this forum seems to be complaining - so am I the unlucky last who hasn't received the upgrade yet? Is there anything I need to do to activate or download the update (only had the car for 3 weeks, so have never been through the upgrade process). The guy from technical support on the 1800 number was pretty clueless himself. So anybody in Oz who has received the update yet? Many thanks! CC

Hi All, am a newb to posting on this forum, although I have been quietly reading for some time. I got really excited when I received Monday's email about the move to Spotify. Kept checking the car every few hours. Then Wednesday came and RDIO left the building. It's now Friday (Merry Christmas, everyone!) and still nothing. Yes, I have learnt that Tesla's definition of "today" might be "soon" or some day in the future. However, nobody else on this forum seems to be complaining - so am I the unlucky last who hasn't received the upgrade yet? Is there anything I need to do to activate or download the update (only had the car for 3 weeks, so have never been through the upgrade process). The guy from technical support on the 1800 number was pretty clueless himself. So anybody in Oz who has received the update yet? Many thanks! CC

I don't think you're Robinson Crusoe, haven't heard of anyone worldwide that's received it yet. Silence is probably a combination of Christmas and people being used to Tesla over-promising. It's baffling why they keep setting themselves up for this rather than just announcing things when they really are going to deliver them! It's expectation management 101 for a company you'd think. At least we know they will get there eventually :)

Bear in mind, a number of different calendars exist. Other than the Gregorian that we use here in oz, there is the Hebrew calendar. It begins in September, so when they say this year, that could give them til next September or so. Similarly with " today", who knows what that means, given that this is the first time I have seen them use that term in 5 years that I have been around!!