Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spotify for the US coming end of Summer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I paid for the upgraded audio in my MX and am aggravated by the poor sound quality of Slacker compared to HD FM radio. Maybe it would be less noticeable with the standard audio, but it is horribly obvious with the high fidelity system, and I am not even an audiophile.

Hopefully Spotify has a higher bit rate.

You can email ServiceHelpNA to obtain your Slacker credentials. There's a few settings via the Slacker website; one of them was using maximum audio quality.

Reactions: CurrentRide
Has anyone experienced audio stuttering for Slacker? From time to time (quite often when listening to Slacker and using Auto Pilot), the music will have glitches/skips/quick pauses, it sounded like when playing music from a computer and the CPU suddently being used 100% and doesn't have resource to decode the music for a brief second.

Hopefully Spotify won't have the same issue...

Has anyone experienced audio stuttering for Slacker? From time to time (quite often when listening to Slacker and using Auto Pilot), the music will have glitches/skips/quick pauses, it sounded like when playing music from a computer and the CPU suddently being used 100% and doesn't have resource to decode the music for a brief second.

Hopefully Spotify won't have the same issue...
Yes, this has been around since 7.0 or so--it's purely a software bug, so it *is* fixable. Hopefully they'll actually fix it...

Tested this a while back and changing the setting didnt seem to increase the quality in the car.

Interesting. I thought I heard a difference after I changed the settings from my desktop but it was probably the placebo effect.

Also, I note the title of this thread is: "Spotify for the US coming end of Summer" then it has a link to this as the source:

Spotify in the US | Tesla Motors

Which reads:

"For those interested, It appears that Tesla is entering a band width test phase with Spotify for the US. They point to a late summer roll out to replace Slacker. This info comes from a very reliable source inside Spotify Product Development Team."

Assuming the OP at the Tesla Motors forum has correct information from the very reliable source (which is a big assumption to make) it is qualified with the word "appears".

I think the word "rumour" (or "rumor" for you US folks) or maybe "speculation" (since we both spell it the same way) should be added to the title of this thread.

I hope that this means that Tesla do some work on the Spotify app (but I'm not holding my breath). I use my own Spotify Premium account, the car app regularly loses my playlists. It's like it only has limited memory and can only buffer the playlists that fit on the screen - all the others (not visible but accessible by scrolling down) disappear. This requires a re-login. So does a playlist update, unlike my phone and Mac Spotify apps it doesn't happen automatically. I also can't add playlists from the car app.
What is cool though is that I can effectively use Spotify on my phone as a remote control, anyone in the car can select a tune and play it through the car. This will only work with a Spotify Premium account though, not the default Tesla account that is provided

Slacker is terrible. Sure you can call up any song but the related songs it plays after are limited and if you create a Radio station it tends to play the same music over and over. Spotify will be a HUGE upgrade.

I just wish they'd fix the stinking iphone / android integration so I could easily just control the app from the screen. I listen to podcasts a lot and it sucks having to constantly go to the phone to skip ahead, change podcasts etc. Then when you get out of the car and come back in you have to press 3 buttons on the screen then open the phone app again to get it going again. My CTS would just pick right back up where it left off without having to do anything.

Love everything about the car except the terrible phone integration/media player.