Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spotify for the US coming end of Summer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nothing pleases everyone, but lots of people don't like Slacker or the Tesla app for it..

My biggest gripe with Slacker is the variety of music it plays is very limited. It doesn't do a good job creating playlists based on your music tastes and then tends to repeat the songs on the station over and over.

Slacker works great for me, discovered a lot of new music using it. You can adjust the frequency of new artists/songs, and how often your favorites play (or don't play) from the web site.

I've spent 2.5 years building the artists on my Slacker stations... Spotify had better be in addition to rather than instead of Slacker.

• Love
Reactions: Grossie
Not sure why someone hasn't pointed out that the current Slacker version we get in our cars is a modified cheap version, not a premium edition. It's better than the free edition but to be able to get better playlists, go backward and forwards you have to go to a premium edition (additional cost). Why do yo think the Spotify Tesla will be providing will be any better than the current Slacker version?

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Not sure why someone hasn't pointed out that the current Slacker version we get in our cars is a modified cheap version, not a premium edition. It's better than the free edition but to be able to get better playlists, go backward and forwards you have to go to a premium edition (additional cost). Why do yo think the Spotify Tesla will be providing will be any better than the current Slacker version?

Maybe they will just provide the app functionality and you could add your own Spotify account to it - that would be awesome. I suspect more folks already have Spotify premium accounts vs Slacker (I know I do). Wonder how it works for the overseas cars already using it.

Reactions: RobW2428 and DÆrik
Spotify replaced Rdio in the overseas cars that have it, but that's because Rdio went out of business. I don't think anyone has yet gotten Spotify where the previous service is still around, so it remains to be seen whether it'll be an add-on or a replacement. Here's hoping it's an add-on. I don't really care for Slacker, but choice is good!

@Cal1, I imagine the built-in Spotify account will be similarly crippled, but I already have a paid Spotify account that I'd like to use in the car as well.

Slacker works great for me, discovered a lot of new music using it. You can adjust the frequency of new artists/songs, and how often your favorites play (or don't play) from the web site.

I've spent 2.5 years building the artists on my Slacker stations... Spotify had better be in addition to rather than instead of Slacker.
But I find that it really has a limited selection before repeating. For example, I have Bruce Springsteen set up as one of my favorites. It plays Bruce songs and other songs but it starts repeating songs after only a couple of hours of play. That makes no sense given the size of Bruce's discography, not to mention the other artists that it mixes in. My experience with Spotify for this is way better as you don't get as much repetition.

Slacker also has certain artists that it really, really likes for some reason. I tend to get a lot of Bad Company and Steely Dan when playing Artist favorites for other artists like Bruce, Rolling Stones, Neil Young, etc. It isn't that I don't like their songs but they seem way over-represented and the only explanation I can use is that their songs are cheaper for Slacker to play than other artists.

But I find that it really has a limited selection before repeating. For example, I have Bruce Springsteen set up as one of my favorites. It plays Bruce songs and other songs but it starts repeating songs after only a couple of hours of play. That makes no sense given the size of Bruce's discography, not to mention the other artists that it mixes in. My experience with Spotify for this is way better as you don't get as much repetition.
The sheer amount of repetition is surprising. It's not just over long drives, either. I have a 30 minute drive to work and left it set to a "Foo Fighters - Everlong" search for a week. Every day on the drive to and from work the first song played would be Everlong (this is fine, given the search), but at least 2 of the following songs would be repeats from the last time I was in the car. At the end of the week, I realized I wasn't hearing any new songs, just songs I'd heard earlier in the week. If I wanted the exact same playlist every morning I'd just listen to a Top 40 terrestrial station. The lack of diversity is extremely surprising.

Would be pretty excited to abandon it for Spotify.

The sheer amount of repetition is surprising. It's not just over long drives, either. I have a 30 minute drive to work and left it set to a "Foo Fighters - Everlong" search for a week. Every day on the drive to and from work the first song played would be Everlong (this is fine, given the search), but at least 2 of the following songs would be repeats from the last time I was in the car. At the end of the week, I realized I wasn't hearing any new songs, just songs I'd heard earlier in the week. If I wanted the exact same playlist every morning I'd just listen to a Top 40 terrestrial station. The lack of diversity is extremely surprising.

Would be pretty excited to abandon it for Spotify.

I guess when I had Sirius XM, I would literally listen to the same 3 stations every day with the same repetitive playlists. Slacker has been a great free approximation of that for me, and it saves me from dealing with the annoying sales staff every 6 months to prevent a humongous renewal bill.

I would be excited too for Spotify, but I guess I don't mind Slacker too much for now.

Reactions: msnow

Do you have the Plus version or the top tiered Premium membership for Slacker? thanks